Online Dating: Your Soul Mate is Only a Click Away

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Have you ever met a romantic partner online?
Poll ended at 03 Feb 2010, 7:43 am
Yes, and I'm still with them 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Yes, but it didn't work out 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
No, but I've tried using dating sites 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
No, but I'm thinking about joining a dating site 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
No, using a dating site is pathetic 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
No, I'm already with someone I met in the real world 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Other 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 31

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2009, 7:43 am

I've seen a lot of posts here with varying opinions about online dating, so I thought I'd post the link to something I wrote about dating sites:

Online Dating: Your Soul Mate is Only a Click Away

The article goes into why online dating can be a much better option for people who are actually looking for a serious relationship (as opposed to just picking someone up in a bar), tips for online dating, and my personal experiences with it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 8:40 am

:D I was so glad to see this wasn't spam! :D

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:05 pm

I haven't used a "dating" site, but I have met people on common-interest sites, and a couple of those contacts have developed.

It's a casual thing, I don't know if I would find a bf or partner that way, but I am so much more open and articulate online, that it's an easier way to get to know someone before taking that huge leap and meeting in person.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2009, 9:06 am

sinsboldly, are you trying to say that this thread was spam? If so, how is it spam to just share an article about the topic of the forum? It's not like I was trying to sell you something or posting something completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. I was simply sharing something that might be useful or of interest to the people who frequent the Love and Dating forum. If I were to start a dating site and try to get people here to register or if I posted a link to something completely different, like a link to a website about video games or something, that would be spam. Not this.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2009, 12:21 pm

I tried a few dating sites. I found them to be worthless. Most of them never expire memberships, so the chances are very good none of the people you get matched with are active. Plus the fake members, 'professional' members, etc. The only women I've gotten involved with, I've met through real-world activities.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 2:12 pm

Rain_Bird wrote:
sinsboldly, are you trying to say that this thread was spam? If so, how is it spam to just share an article about the topic of the forum? It's not like I was trying to sell you something or posting something completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. I was simply sharing something that might be useful or of interest to the people who frequent the Love and Dating forum. If I were to start a dating site and try to get people here to register or if I posted a link to something completely different, like a link to a website about video games or something, that would be spam. Not this.

I believe what she means is she saw the topic title, which is the sort of title a spam topic might have, and was relieved when she opened it to realise it isn't spam, but rather is a poster's article.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2009, 5:19 pm

Rain_Bird wrote:

IMO, I think that it sounds like sinsboldly saw the title of your topic, thought it sounded like spam, clicked on it, and then posted that she was relieved that it wasn't.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 5:32 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Rain_Bird wrote:

I believe what she means is she saw the topic title, which is the sort of title a spam topic might have, and was relieved when she opened it to realise it isn't spam, but rather is a poster's article.

I was gonna reply, but you and hartz already said what I was gonna say..

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 6:29 pm

I've been on Eharmony for a couple years, first year I had some people I talked to - nothing else. I retook the survey, realizing that I'd set my personality survey about three years prior (trial - when I was 24, actually became a member at 28 ). This past year I retook it, had a lot more matches - had about 5 different people I met up with at least for one date.

I think the problem is that even with the scientific matching criteria there, they're still missing a lot of salient factors somehow. As in, I get a *lot* of matches, maybe 1 out of 50 profiles are of people I feel like I'd have anything in common with, quite often they even contact me. The trouble though - I'm sure there are women on Eharmony where we'd click on every level, just that I doubt our personality profiles would put us together. I think its a good faith scientific attempt at assessing personality just that a) its psychology, still a bit abstract and infant in its trials and b) I have a feeling that in the next ten or twenty years, with enough trial and error, these sites will improve tremendously. Just that right now - personality profile sites are a little bit better than just post-it sites but, only so much as in I've had more than enough NT friends who've had the same luck that I have - I'm really doubting that my being on spectrum is really that much of a factor.

Arcadia73
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2009, 9:45 pm

I never really thought the whole online dating thing was a great idea initially. I am an NT female and never had any trouble dating. I had a really bad break up with my fiancee back in 2000 and hadn't had a really serious relationship for a while. So, I just decided back in January of 2005 to give online dating a try after much prompting from various friends. I met a guy about a month later and we've been together ever since! We got married in 2008. He turned out to be an Aspie. Now I am not saying it was smooth sailing every day, but we have a great connection on many levels and have managed to work through most of our communication issues which I attribute to my psychology background ( and a helluva lotta patience, LOL!)! Also, joining forums like this has helped greatly as well.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Cleme