Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

meiatonin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2006, 4:49 pm

Have you ever looked at really old photographs?...or even just school photographs or portraits of people from the '80s-'70s'-'60s-'50s?...I noticed people in older photographs look ugly...It's not because of photograph quality...Beautiful women are more beautiful than ever today...and more women rank among beautiful women...and men are less character-less and boring than they used to appear...most men these days have a lot of character and attractive charisma in their appearance...this is my theory...Ugly people are slowly being farmed out of the gene pool...this is ultimately for the best because ugly people don't enjoy life as much because they know they are inferior to others...that's why I'm proud as an ugly person to say I am never going to have children and that being a loner is what I deserve...because it's for the good of the human race...it's important to remember that humans have come a long way...in a few more generations there could be no more ugly geeks or fatties in schools...no easy targets for bullies...nobody who would be much inferior to anyone else...perfection is quickly being approached...Might seem controversial but Autistic/Asperger people I've met have all mostly been ugly so I guess I actually agree with Cure Autism Now that there is something wrong with us...And I don't see any problem with us being wiped out of the gene pool...If it means no others have to be born as a ticket to rejection that's all for the best wouldn't you agree?

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 4:59 pm

Obesity is on the rise, and it seems that autism is also increasing.

You should look elsewhere for the cause of the decline in ugliness. Perhaps better hygenic products and people putting more time/effort into looking good. Aslo, good looks is a matter of taste, and what is found attractive changes over time. Our standards have changed since the mid 1900s.

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2006, 5:11 pm

Are you saying I'm ugly because of AS, somehow I doubt it. I'm not preatty but I'm not ugly either. My last b/f was beautiful and he was autistic another one of my ex's was pretty and he had AS.

Look in another place.

Looks arent everything either, I find a person has to be unique forme to find them attractive/interesting and I've found the most unique people are Autistic/AS.

Also you can look at this in the theory of evolution or natural selection. We define people as pretty or ugly because subconciously we think they'd be best for us to make children with.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 5:25 pm

I find myself hideous, but from the pictures I've seen of other aspies, I think aspies tend to be MORE attractive than NT's. ;)

And since autism is rising, our chances of taking over the world are increasing. :D

Also, personality is more important than looks. Personality can make an otherwise attractive person ugly.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 5:28 pm

I think that what you are saying is quite harsh but hey everyone has the right to speak their mind.

I feel that it depends on what your perception of ugly truly is and how deep you go with that definition. In my opinion, if physical appearance is all that is taken into consideration, then you're not actually getting to appreciate or get the full picture of that person. For me an ugly person is someone who has a horrid personality e.g someone who takes pleasure in hurting others mentally or physically and if they aren't so pretty on the outside either well then tough s**t. It's these people who pick on someone else for being supposedly ugly that are actually ugly, if you get my drift. You can know someone who is absolutely drop dead gorgeous to look at but whats the point if they are nasty or empty on the inside? If anything, I would like to see those who are ugly on the inside to be bred out of the human race rather than those who are supposedly ugly on the outside.

Plus, people perceive beauty, or lack of it differently. For example, someone you find ugly will be found to be attractive to someone else and vice versa.

mysticaria
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2006, 5:29 pm

People seem uglier possibly, because they have different hair styles, glasses, clothes, etc. And yes, it does have something to do with photographic quality as well. Pictures today are highly "touched up" digitally.
But there is the same variety of people as there was 100 years ago.

there is much more of plastic surgery, dieting, eating disorders, make-up.

Ugly people still have lots of ugly babies though.
And ugly people can still have beautiful children. Genes don't work like that.
You won't actually help the human race out by refusing to have children.
Ugly is also subjective.
I think more people are ugly today.
Plastic people are not beautiful.
You have bad self esteem. Not everyone thinks that way. You're not doomed.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 7:58 pm

People may be getting more lustfully attractive on the outside; but, on the inside, they're drifting away in a sea of moral depravity: a rising drug culture; anti-religiosity; promiscuous sexual behavior; profane, obscene, and blasphemous language; inconsideration for others; materialist escapism; rampant oneupsmanship; commodification of the self (in its ultimate expression, prostitution and self-serving flattery and sycophantism); slick, superficial relations with others in society; a rise in satirical and anti-realist humor; religious fanaticism; anti-authoritative attitudes and social nonconformity and other deviance; cultural relativism; the us-vs.-them rationale; paranoid conspiracy theories; the can of beef stew that won't stop watching me even as I sleep; addictions like serial killing and serial rape; and a backlash of moral-outrage self-righteous hypocrisy.

This degradation of moral standards has been going on since at least the turn of the first millennium according to Roman historian Livy (a conservative and supporter of Caesar Augustus).

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 8:23 pm

I think all you have identified is a change in fashion and trends over a period of time. I burst out laughing at pictures of my father in the 1970's before I was born.

And for the record, even with this beer belly ive aquired, im still a sure hit fire with the ladies

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 8:46 pm

At one time, heavy women were considered attractive. Perceptions change over the ages. One day, intelligence will be attractive. Not in our lifetime, though.

akiko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2006, 9:32 pm

Funny one should bring up intelligence. I happen to find intelligence beautiful and attractive. I can look beyond whether or not someone has been taught to use microdermabrasion techniques on the face. Why? Well, I guess because I'm not perfect either, but mainly because I go for what I like, and what I like is intelligent, funny, happy and some people are perfectly fine not knowing how to squeeze and scrape extra dead skin off their faces.

Now, what I don't find attractive would be excessively narcissistic behaviors, ugliness toward others for sheer enjoyment, and negative remarks designed to draw attention to oneself. Sometimes we all are guilty of it, but you'll admit some are more often than others....

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2006, 10:16 pm

lol.. back then people liked different things. The were hot as back then. In the future people will look back on us and be like "ewww how did people like that look?"

But I do agree most of the men in old photographs were hideous. The guy eveyone liked at Mums school looks like he has rotten teeth, as I constantly tease her about.

Quote:
but Autistic/Asperger people I've met have all mostly been ugly

God aren't you nice. Don't make generalisations.

It also depends of your definition of ugly. The most beautiful woman I have ever seen is probably nothing to what some of you like.

Also ugly people can be as brainess, cold and nasty as pretty people... so I hope not to see that sort of generalisation here either that all ugly people are nice, and all pretty people are a***holes and stupid.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 12:14 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Also ugly people can be as brainess, cold and nasty as pretty people... so I hope not to see that sort of generalisation here either that all ugly people are nice, and all pretty people are a***holes and stupid.

I agree, appearance has little to no correlation with personality. Stereotyping in either direction is foolish.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 2:02 am

NeantHumain wrote:
People may be getting more lustfully attractive on the outside; but, on the inside, they're drifting away in a sea of moral depravity: a rising drug culture; anti-religiosity; promiscuous sexual behavior; profane, obscene, and blasphemous language; inconsideration for others; materialist escapism; rampant oneupsmanship; commodification of the self (in its ultimate expression, prostitution and self-serving flattery and sycophantism); slick, superficial relations with others in society; a rise in satirical and anti-realist humor; religious fanaticism; anti-authoritative attitudes and social nonconformity and other deviance; cultural relativism; the us-vs.-them rationale; paranoid conspiracy theories; the can of beef stew that won't stop watching me even as I sleep; addictions like serial killing and serial rape; and a backlash of moral-outrage self-righteous hypocrisy.

This degradation of moral standards has been going on since at least the turn of the first millennium according to Roman historian Livy (a conservative and supporter of Caesar Augustus).

This reminds me of the novel Fahrenheit 451. The society described in the book is very much like the one you're describing. Really scary, if you think about it.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 2:58 am

NeantHumain wrote:

For society to be as it with our moral standards having steadily declined for two millenia, our moral standards would have had to have started at nothing less than angelic perfection.
Every generation is said to be more wicked than the last. Yes, our society is full of evil, but no more so than when the kings and lords enslaved the serfs, no more so than when public drunken orgies were acceptable, no more so than when corrupt Caesers murdered their political enemies.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 4:43 am

It's called plastic surgery.

It's a modern phenomenon.

However I think peoples idea of attractiveness is wrong.

Before plastic surgery and modern dental work faces were less uniform but who wants uniformity (I don't).

Natural faces are far mor interesting but unfortunately the plastic craze is sweeping the world.

You only have to look at american movies compared to european films.

Yes, in the american movie industry everyone is 'beautiful' but they all look the same.

It's not true beauty ~ you can't cheat nature in this respect.

I can easily tell the difference between natural symmetry and symmetrical surgery.

Also some of the most beautiful faces in nature are those with interesting 'flaws'.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2006, 10:07 am

Don't worry NeantHumain, I got the joke......