Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

feaghal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2010, 5:45 pm

What is the point dating before it's possible to get married? I mean, all dating is, is to check if the other person is possibly "the one". and when your to young to get married, it seems senseless...
Can someone explain?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:59 pm

Dating is how you figure out what being "the one" means to you and what sort of people you are compatible with.

VedekMiara
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2010, 6:02 pm

Dear feaghal,
I think dating is also about finding out if the other person is "the one" for the next week or month or year... falling in love doesn't necessarily lead to marriage - people needn't be alone even if they never marry.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 6:03 pm

What if you're young (well I've been told 26 is "young") and you know exactly what you want but you can't find it, or at least without a full-fledged CSI-like investigation?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 7:06 pm

I always hear that you should date someone for at least a year before getting engaged.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 7:37 pm

I know what you mean - I feel the same way.
For most kids, its "just cool" to date, but for some, its a learning experience. When I was 16 I was with a boy for about a year - And I learned that I do not want to be in a relationship for a very long time.

KnightGhost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm

Dating is about finding that person that adds a rainbow of colors to your black/white/gray world.

Its about learning that the touch of that person can send you to heights that no drug on the planet can reach.

That person is about making you feel complete in ways that never imagined.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:05 am

try before you buy.

I don't see the point in rushing into a life long commitment you don't intend to to keep. If you do, you would really want to try before you buy.

Alex32
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2010, 1:43 pm

I think that dating is a great thing. You figure out what kind of people you like and dislike. This is a good thing because then if you pursue someone and they have the qualities you dislike you can cut it off with that person. Another good thing about dating is that you may just find the one.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2010, 1:47 pm

feaghal wrote:
What is the point dating before it's possible to get married?

To get laid. Seems that people aren't really all that into just having sex with random people. You like, gotta date them and go to movies and stuff. :lol: :lol:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 1:50 pm

feaghal wrote:
What is the point dating before it's possible to get married? I mean, all dating is, is to check if the other person is possibly "the one". and when your to young to get married, it seems senseless...
Can someone explain?

wtf?

Not everyone wants to get married, and not everyone wants to wait until it is possible to get married to find out. Given chances are it might not be the fist one you go out with that is “the one”. Not everyone believes that relationships are about finding “the one”, but rather people getting who are more or less compatible and making it work somehow (after all this better reflects the realities of the interactions of the worlds populous)

Commitment is commitment, marriage is optional.

BetsyRath
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2010, 3:03 pm

therange wrote:
at least without a full-fledged CSI-like investigation?

The majority of people do not work like this. Humans are not something you can order on a drop-down menu from a website, clicking off the qualities you think are compatible*

Most folks date because it's fun to be around someone of the opposite sex to chat, see movies, have sex, and spend time with. It may or may not develop into something. Also most NT people are looking for something else, an interpersonal chemistry which sometimes happens immediately and sometimes after a few dates. You do it because it's fun!

*Also, if you date a lot, you may find out the qualities you thought were on that drop-down list don't work so well in real life for you.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 3:19 pm

Maybe I'm the exception, but when I go into any male/female relationship (the exception being if it was understood beforehand that we were just "having fun" and wasting time) I put my all into it. I'm not looking to put a ring on my finger...but I'm looking for someone who is past the flirting/dating stage of her life and is a one man woman. And I know what turns me on for such a relationship. I have simple criteria. I just like dark haired, smart looking women that are intelligent and like to converse, and aren't extremely political or religious.

Brianna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2010, 9:03 pm

feaghal wrote:
Can someone explain?

- Im not sure why we teens date at such a young age starting at probably 10. I never really thought about that. I guess we just see through influence of our parents and friends. Plus thats when hormones start to change and us girls start to have crushes on boys and boys start having crushes on us girls so i guess its just natural. But at age 16, 17 , 18 is when we start to get more serious....long term relationships and such. Feelings start to emerge and possibly love. After this poeple start getting married at 18, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 23 years of age. Hope this helped. :D

KnightGhost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

Brianna wrote:
feaghal wrote:
Can someone explain?

- Im not sure why we teens date at such a young age starting at probably 10. I never really thought about that. I guess we just see through influence of our parents and friends. Plus thats when hormones start to change and us girls start to have crushes on boys and boys start having crushes on us girls so i guess its just natural. But at age 16, 17 , 18 is when we start to get more serious....long term relationships and such. Feelings start to emerge and possibly love. After this poeple start getting married at 18, 19, 20 ,21, 22, 23 years of age. Hope this helped. :D

Seems more like NT mimicking to me. People don't see to emotionally stabilize and mature until about 25 (and many never really do).

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 9:56 pm

sex