Likelihood of Aspie couple to have autistic children?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2010, 1:52 pm

How likely is it that the children of an Aspie couple (both with Asperger's) will be autistc?
Is it possible that the children will have classic autism (as opposed to be at the higher-end of the spectrum)?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 3:29 pm

It's possible, I think but I also think it's possible that kids of Aspies or Auties are lightly to be similar to their parents. In my family, it's believed that my Granny (Mothers side), Great Uncle (Mothers side) and my Father were on the spectrum.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 3:59 pm

It's very likely.

In my family, my mom shows traits but more bipolar
and I think my sister could be on the spectrum.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm

Well I'm AS and my ex (my sons' father) was NT and one sons has AS and one has Autism.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 4:09 pm

I think that there is more a chance, but I don't think that should deter you from having children. My mother is very good with socialization and although my father is a mean jerk, he's not AS. Yet I was born severely Autistic. I do have an Aspie cousin though.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

Well, at least in my case, the autistic spectrum as a whole seems to be hereditary... so I'd say yes. My family history has a lot of autistic traits showing up (as well as more than a few historical diagnoses of AS), although my brother was the first LFA to be diagnosed, and I was the first actual AS diagnosis...

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 6:17 pm

Both my husband and I are aspies. My older son is closer to me in the sense of his asperger's and my little guy is more like my husband. My husband and younger son are highly intelligent but much less social. My older son and I are just average in intelligence but we make every attemp to be social but are not always successful. The other two are downright aloof and happy being that way.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:13 pm

Any anecdotal responses here should be disregarded. The sample size is small, and the populace is skewed.

If you go to a homeless shelter, and ask "how likely is it your kids are going to grow up to be poor", your answer is predominately going to be a lot. Ask the same question at Disneyland and you'll get a different set of answers. Head aboard a cruise ship and see an even different set of answers.

We know there is no genetic link between economic status and genes.

Flip the question around: What is the likelihood of your children NOT having winding up an Aspie? The sum of the odds of your child having and not having Aspergers should be 1.00, and any answer which does not equal to this means something somewhere (the question, the data, the analysis, etc.) was flawed.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

29 Mar 2010, 4:49 am

I think this is really scary stuff. AS/AS marriage and having kids, that might cause your kids to be even scarier situations like down syndrome or cerebral palsy or even lower functioning forms of Autism. I would avoid AS/AS marriages that involves giving birth to kids. An AS/AS relationship is already as hard as it is, so I wouldn't even have kids in this case. This is why I am only into NT girls.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 2:43 pm

FreeSpirit2000 wrote:
I think this is really scary stuff. AS/AS marriage and having kids, that might cause your kids to be even scarier situations like down syndrome or cerebral palsy or even lower functioning forms of Autism. I would avoid AS/AS marriages that involves giving birth to kids. An AS/AS relationship is already as hard as it is, so I wouldn't even have kids in this case. This is why I am only into NT girls.

AS has nothing to do with down syndrome

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2010, 5:18 am

FreeSpirit2000 wrote:

Down Syndrome is a developmental disability caused by having an extra Chromosome 21 while cerebral palsy is a physical disability that is the result of a brain injury at birth. None of them are relating to autism. As for me, there is a good chance of my kids having autism, ADHD or even both due to me being autistic and my fiance having ADHD.

http://www.myspace.com/tlcoopi7 My MySpace Profile

http://www.facebook.com/tlcoopi7 My Facebook Profile