hale_bopp wrote:
I don't mind smoking in men.

Some turn offs for me:

1)Lapdogs - no time for guys like that at all
2)Arrogant men with a superiority complex
3)Bitchy men
4)Men who like anime
5)Whiny submissive men/pushovers
6)guys who always objectify women, talk about "f***ing" and crude sexual things, and their boners and stuff
7) Narrow minded men
8. Intense personalities

Desperation, athough that comes under 1) 5) and 6)

Well, you just ruled out 98% of the world's manhood right there.

No kidding. That's basically asking for a normal guy who doesn't engage in normal guy behaviors. The only ones who could come close to meeting ALL of that, are either really cool and wanted by every woman who has ever lived, or happen to be really good at hiding some nasty attitudes.

I really don't think 98% of men are like that. Most of the men I've met aren't any of those. If they are crude they are discreet and tactful about it. I can deal with a superiority complex if its not out of hand. reasonably flexible I suppose, really the only things that give me the female equivilant of "going flaccid" are:

Lapdogs
Anime lovers
Pushovers

Last edited by hale_bopp on 15 Apr 2010, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:51 pm

DavidK wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
7) Narrow minded men

Pot+kettle much?

I'm not narrow minded. I am picky. Enormous difference.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2010, 9:01 pm

My turn offs
1. eating with your mouth open - this is rage inducing for me.
2. smoking - females and smoking is a no go
3. lack of self confidence - it's one thing to know your limits, it's another to be negative about yourself
4. Lois Lane - I'm not super man, I can't save you. You have to save yourself
5. Possessive - I don't have many friends, please don't harass me about the few I do have.
Edit:
6. Don't be a weeaboo - japan isn't that cool.

and... that's all I can think of right now.

@Hale-Bopp
that list isn't too bad. but nowadays it might be hard to find a guy who doesn't like at least a little anime. You may wanna change that to "isn't a weeaboo" which I'm actually gonna add to me list right now

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:06 pm

- Whininess
- Can't hold down a job or live on his own
- Different religion than me/no religion at all
- Alcoholic/drug addict
- Violent/abusive
- Has kids from a previous marriage/relationship

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2010, 9:07 pm

Smoking, definitely. If I see a woman smoking, I lose any interest and turn my attention to anything else. Don't they know what they're doing to their bodies? And to other people around them?

hale_bopp wrote:
Anime lovers

I guess you mean those freaks who live and breath Japanese animation ("anime" is just the term the Japanese use for any animation, regardless of the country of origin), thinking anything that is Japanese animation is the 8th wonder of the world and anything that isn't is a POS, and not people who just ocassionally will watch some (like for example Speed Racer, which I used to watch as a kid looong ago and have watched on re-runs in Cartoon Network out of nostalgia). I've been around such people when I used to do maintenance to the PCs of a company that edited a fanzine, and they are annoying like hell with that attitude, regardless of gender.

IdahoRose wrote:

Those two rule out a LOT of people in my country. Unemployment/underemployment is still high and it's usual for 4 generations to live in the same home. I guess it's more of a cultural thing.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2010, 9:16 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

That also rules out a lot of people on these boards. Aspies have it tough I guess.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:21 pm

I only have one big turn-off: selfishness. It doesn't have to be anything significant, but if a woman can't think about anyone else's well-being at all, then I can't associate with her...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:30 pm

Mikelight wrote:
@Hale-Bopp
that list isn't too bad. but nowadays it might be hard to find a guy who doesn't like at least a little anime. You may wanna change that to "isn't a weeaboo" which I'm actually gonna add to me list right now

There are heaps of guys who don't do anime. I mean I tend to get along with geeks well (and more of them like anime than mainstream men), comic books, video games, cartoons, but obsession with anime and watching it in Japanese with subtitles is just such a turn off. If you like Japan that much pack up your life and move there.

Acting Japanese is fine... if you're Japanese.

Also, I don't know what a weeaboo is. It depends on the person too, some geeks are just really unattractive personality wise and others aren't.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:36 pm

The thing that consistently turns me off is when I realize that a girl I like is a social-addicted NT. Usually this is fairly obvious, like when a girl looks like she couldn't take her hands off her phone if it were on fire, but not always. Along the same lines, I don't like the Lois Lane types. I like females that are self-sufficient. After all, relationships are supposed to be external; an extension of yourself, not something you rely on like an organ.

But they do not have me

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:37 pm

machf wrote:
I guess you mean those freaks who live and breath Japanese animation ("anime" is just the term the Japanese use for any animation, regardless of the country of origin), thinking anything that is Japanese animation is the 8th wonder of the world and anything that isn't is a POS, and not people who just ocassionally will watch some (like for example Speed Racer, which I used to watch as a kid looong ago and have watched on re-runs in Cartoon Network out of nostalgia). I've been around such people when I used to do maintenance to the PCs of a company that edited a fanzine, and they are annoying like hell with that attitude, regardless of gender.

Yeah I mean a Japanese animation fanboy. Doesn't watch normal cartoons. Doesn't watch Japanese animation in English. Is absoultely appalled and disgusted at the idea of not watching it in japanese. Pretty much dominates their bedroom with crap about it, is a know all about it if anyone asks questions, knows about every obscure one there is.

Yeah people can do what they want, I just find that particular trait grossly unattractive.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 15 Apr 2010, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2010, 9:38 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Mikelight wrote:
@Hale-Bopp

There are heaps of guys who don't do anime. I mean I tend to get along with geeks well (and more of them like anime than mainstream men), comic books, video games, cartoons, but obsession with anime and watching it in Japanese with subtitles is just such a turn off. If you like Japan that much pack up your life and move there.

Acting Japanese is fine... if you're Japanese.

Also, I don't know what a weeaboo is. It depends on the person too, some geeks are just really unattractive personality wise and others aren't.

the term weeaboo was originally coined as a term for white people who are obsessed with japanese culture but I just use it for anyone who is obsessed much in the way you described with Japan. I'm not a japanophile but any anime I do watch I prefer to do so with subtitles because of the way I interpret language, I prefer literal translations... I do the same thing with spanish shows/games/etc.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2010, 9:41 pm

nerd-haters.
Extremely loud noises.
people who restrict freedom in expression of the truth.
Insincerity.
Deceptiveness.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 9:54 pm

spooky13 wrote:
Wow, we women smokers are out of luck, aren't we.

I wouldn't mind, even as a non-smoker.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 11:04 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
DavidK wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
7) Narrow minded men

Pot+kettle much?

I'm not narrow minded. I am picky. Enormous difference.

+1

I'd apply pretty much that whole list of turnoffs to women (although don't know about the anime, I never watched one in my life and I guess I don't understand the issues at hand), and I'm not in a position looks wise to be quite so picky as halebopp. Certain things just do not work. You'll run into a lot less bad s**t in your life if you understand that.

Patience is a virtue?

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 11:11 pm

CerebralDreamer wrote:
DavidM wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
I don't mind smoking in men.

Some turn offs for me:

1)Lapdogs - no time for guys like that at all
2)Arrogant men with a superiority complex
3)Bitchy men
4)Men who like anime
5)Whiny submissive men/pushovers
6)guys who always objectify women, talk about "f***ing" and crude sexual things, and their boners and stuff
7) Narrow minded men
8. Intense personalities

Desperation, athough that comes under 1) 5) and 6)

Well, you just ruled out 98% of the world's manhood right there.

No kidding. That's basically asking for a normal guy who doesn't engage in normal guy behaviors. The only ones who could come close to meeting ALL of that, are either really cool and wanted by every woman who has ever lived, or happen to be really good at hiding some nasty attitudes.

BS. She's describing what most women want. She's describing a well-adjusted man. You guys should pay attention.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 11:21 pm

For me...

Doesn't like to travel/is lazy
Asexual, or low sex drive
Narrow-mindedness
Isn't affectionate/doesn't like being touched
Not goal-oriented
Doesn't want to start a family (although I admit to being undecided myself)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!