To Right Brained Dominant Aspies

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

criss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 1:21 am

Would you say that you take things less literally and more metaphorically than your left brained dominant brothers and sisters in the spectrum?

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 3:40 am

only slightly so.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 4:52 am

I am more right brained oriented. I'm comfortable with metaphors and figures of speech. If someone uses a figure of speech that I'm not familiar with, then if it doesn't make logical sense I'll assume it's just an expression. I do always get a mental picture of the expression. If I take someone literally it's when I misread their tone of voice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 6:11 am

I find that I do. I even enjoy using figures of speech.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 8:24 am

yeah, its usually not that hard for me to get sarcasm and figures of speech among other things. Sometimes though it has gotten to the point that my mind can VERY EASILY be thrown into the gutter. XD

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

criss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:35 am

this is interesting for me, as I thought
that it would be the case that us R Brained
Aspies would be a little more able to think
outside the box.

Tell me, any of you feel that your right
brainedness has enabled you to integrate better
into non-autistic world? And do you feel that
thinking more out the box has hidden your AS
and thus delayed seeing yourself as a person
with AS?

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 12:21 pm

Right Brain/Left Brain Quiz

Left Brain Dominance: 16(16)
Right Brain Dominance: 16(16)

:?:
:?:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 12:30 pm

I'm ok with metaphors so long as i have something to reference with it in the sentence used.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 12:50 pm

Maybe a little bit, but I'm with DaWalker, I am both-brained =/

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 1:16 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Maybe a little bit, but I'm with DaWalker, I am both-brained =/

hehe...twice as :?:

:lol:

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2010, 3:04 pm

criss wrote:
outside the box.

with AS?

My right brain thinking is stronger than average (meaning the majority of people favour left brain thinking), but I'm equally split between left and right brain. On tests I score in the middle, using both. I write with my right hand, but I do everything else manually, left-handed.

I have no problem with metaphor. I grok it and I use it myself.

I get sarcasm. I understand how it works and I can use it. I only use it to parody concepts, constructs, systems, or ideas. I don't use it against people in a passive-aggressive way. I greatly dislike when people do that and find it small and mean spirited.

I have mistaken the meaning and intention of what people have said, because I was taking something literally that wasn't meant literally. However, it's not a cognitive or logic issue for me. I have no problem with abstract thought.

It's a misreading of non-verbal communication, which encompasses intonation, timber, emphasis and subtle differences in the voice, as well as facial and body language.

Say I"m sitting at a lunch table with 5 people talking about the relative merits of cats vs. dogs as pets and one of those people says, "Oh yeah, I love cats. I have 37 of them and I'm going to get my 38th after work." If I didn't know that person well and they said that completely deadpan, I'd be stuck trying to figure out if they were telling the truth or being sarcastic (because in truth they hate cats with a passion).

It's often happened to me where someone has been teasing or joking sarcastically, and I'm not sure if they are being serious. I guess I get this "trying to figure you out" clueless look on my face and people will generally start laughing and say, "I'm JOKING!"

This has lead to people who don't know me that well, to categorize me as gullible, which I'm not in the true sense of the word. I am actually a huge skeptic, I just have not been able to read people for the life of me.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 3:55 pm

Aimless wrote:
I am more right brained oriented. I'm comfortable with metaphors and figures of speech. If someone uses a figure of speech that I'm not familiar with, then if it doesn't make logical sense I'll assume it's just an expression. I do always get a mental picture of the expression. If I take someone literally it's when I misread their tone of voice.

This. I am older now, and I have learned not to be as literal, but I do find sometimes I have a little relapse.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 4:17 pm

crocus wrote:
criss wrote:
outside the box.

with AS?

My right brain thinking is stronger than average (meaning the majority of people favour left brain thinking), but I'm equally split between left and right brain. On tests I score in the middle, using both. I write with my right hand, but I do everything else manually, left-handed.

I have no problem with metaphor. I grok it and I use it myself.

I get sarcasm. I understand how it works and I can use it. I only use it to parody concepts, constructs, systems, or ideas. I don't use it against people in a passive-aggressive way. I greatly dislike when people do that and find it small and mean spirited.

I have mistaken the meaning and intention of what people have said, because I was taking something literally that wasn't meant literally. However, it's not a cognitive or logic issue for me. I have no problem with abstract thought.

It's a misreading of non-verbal communication, which encompasses intonation, timber, emphasis and subtle differences in the voice, as well as facial and body language.

Say I"m sitting at a lunch table with 5 people talking about the relative merits of cats vs. dogs as pets and one of those people says, "Oh yeah, I love cats. I have 37 of them and I'm going to get my 38th after work." If I didn't know that person well and they said that completely deadpan, I'd be stuck trying to figure out if they were telling the truth or being sarcastic (because in truth they hate cats with a passion).

It's often happened to me where someone has been teasing or joking sarcastically, and I'm not sure if they are being serious. I guess I get this "trying to figure you out" clueless look on my face and people will generally start laughing and say, "I'm JOKING!"

This has lead to people who don't know me that well, to categorize me as gullible, which I'm not in the true sense of the word. I am actually a huge skeptic, I just have not been able to read people for the life of me.

Yeah, your pretty much the same exact way I am, except that I will use heavy doeses of sarcasm if people start irritating me, or have wronged me.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

criss
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 1:32 am

Thanks everyone

I feel I am v balanced between left & right

I feel I an just as much analyitical as I am
philisophical.

Lover of order yet find being free of routine
and sameness liberating.

Obsessed with perfection but more drawn to
meditation and letting go.

At the end of the day I grast meaning, make
sense of the world and see the world through
imagery.

My father and his mother were both v talented
artists and sculptors. and I feel this has
contributed to be seeing the world the way
I do.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 1:54 am

Left Brain Dominance: 15
Right Brain Dominance: 16

soulice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2010, 3:49 am

I just have trouble with irony and sarcasm. As long as it's verbal, there wont be too much confusion; it's the subtle nuanced aspects of communication that elude more.