Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 6:37 pm

nick007 wrote:
alex wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anything but 'aspie affection'

aspie affection is the best aspie dating site, though. I made it. http://aspieaffection.com

Is it still broken :?: I joined it before summer started around the same time I joined WP & every time I tried to run a search; I got some page with code stuff. A couple months ago I started getting that code page every time I tried logging in. I tried creating a new account & after I entered info; I got the code page thing again. Aspie Affection also has a very high ratio of men to women. I think it was something like 10 to 1 if I remember the stats page correctly & did the math rite from when I 1st joined. With odds like that the women get swamped with PMs & some get scared off & the good guys do not get noticed. There's also a couple other Aspie dating sites out there. Dating sites only work if there's lots of members join. It would be much better to have only one site. Maybe WP could be upgraded to have a search feature thing instead of having Aspie Affection & the other sites

The search has been working now for me.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2010, 6:49 pm

Well that ratio is not the sites fault... since there is a 4:1 ratio of men to women with AS (well at least that is one of the more well quoted numbers), and more men than women try online dating in general that seems to be a very natural ratio.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 7:20 pm

No dating sites are good. Guys never get replies on them. You would have more of a chance if you met people in real life. Its the truth.

I personally find dating a waste of time, I want to forge a connection without trying to force it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:24 pm

Has anyone tried OKCupid?

BTW, the 4:1 ratio only applies to those with an actual diagnosis. It might actually be 2:1 or 1:1.

Even so, the AS diagnosis is on the verge of being phased out with the introduction of the DSM-V.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 7:13 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

BTW, the 4:1 ratio only applies to those with an actual diagnosis. It might actually be 2:1 or 1:1.

Even so, the AS diagnosis is on the verge of being phased out with the introduction of the DSM-V.

Yeah but without the diagnosis how many are going to go on Aspie Affection??

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:07 am

i was getting that same error on aspie affection with the search link on the left side bar

but the one on the top right works....

JustEmbers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2010, 11:34 am

Just signed up on Aspie Affection. I've been getting the same error from the link on the left; I didn't try the top right, but I will. It's funny, after so many very, very crappy experiences on dating sites (some won't even let you close your account!) I'm already a bit sick, and kicking myself for signing up. This could be very cool, or very bad. I'm waiting to find out if I've pulled another massive, and typically Julian (my name is Julia btw, that wasn't a reference to anything historical), TMI faux pas (making a royal ass out of myself online in the process), or for some scum bag to start trying to induce me into a ménage à trois, with the assumption that I must be "that type" simply because I care more about the person than their particular bits and pieces (aka being bisexual). I'll give it a week, and if I'm regretting it too much by then I'll cancel my account and try really hard not to think about the fact that I opened it in the first place. Ugh. Books are SOOOO much safer than people.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:23 pm

i am catrona1 on okcupid.

i met my bf there as well as a wonderful group of oddballs that i now hang out with on a quazi weekly basis.

i like the site cause it's free and and has quizzes and such to amuse myself with... but i don't know how to compare it to other dating sites... especially since i've never used any of the pay sites.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:09 pm

Yasmine wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Yeah but without the diagnosis how many are going to go on Aspie Affection??

Many Aspies, particularly female ones, are undiagnosed, or have a diagnosis other than AS, but still elsewhere on the spectrum. When people say they are looking for another Aspie, I think it can be implied that they are looking for someone anywhere on the spectrum.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 08 Oct 2010, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

Sedaka wrote:
i am catrona1 on okcupid.

i met my bf there as well as a wonderful group of oddballs that i now hang out with on a quazi weekly basis.

i like the site cause it's free and and has quizzes and such to amuse myself with... but i don't know how to compare it to other dating sites... especially since i've never used any of the pay sites.

I like the quizzes as well on there. I was in a brief friend-with-benefits situation with someone I met on there.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:51 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
No dating sites are good. Guys never get replies on them. You would have more of a chance if you met people in real life. Its the truth.

I personally find dating a waste of time, I want to forge a connection without trying to force it.

I respectfully disagree, I have met plenty of women off dating sites locally.

I have had the most luck with Plenty of Fish, and a few of the social networking sites in the past.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2010, 1:21 am

so after many times trying on match.com (and getting nowhere) and trying e-harmony once (and only getting gold digger harry potter reading sports fanatic women) i recently decided to try the lesser known and free sites like okcupid and plenty of fish.

Okcupid has better content and design compared to Plenty of Fish which frankly looks like a site from the early 2000s with not much design for a modern, seemingly popular online dating site like their absolute horribly plain instant message system. So as you suspect as it is the internet, i take online dating with not much expectation of seeing good and active results with these sites. However plenty of fish has been sending messages of two women who want to meet me, so i look at their profiles.

and as i know profiles are just superficial drummed up banter of how wonderful and neat we all are and how awesome we are in relationships and what we are looking for and so forth, i still want to contact these women. the problem being is the beginning. I can hope against hope that they would send messages but i have learned that women want to be messaged first not the other way around. So you write a message hoping to give a good, honest, friendly, positive description of yourself in the hopes that they would reciprocate and then its on to message 2 and so forth, and the questions/inquiries start becoming a little more direct a little more expectatory a little more open, yet you haven't even met in person. so you are really thinking what the person really is real life and how awesome it will be to meet them and date them. But you dont want to come off as being desperate, or even too out of the mainstream social schedules of your peers so you start lying to them and yourself about how busy you are, and what you got planned in the next month and how many states you have visited in the year and where you went on vacation and with how many of your friends did you get drunk with last night and watch pineapple express with.

but it could all be a lie and that person would have no idea till they meet you and you are expecting them to like you as you are after having these wonderful in depth ongoing conversations and disclosures about eachother.

i have been out of serious relationships since my late teens which is almost 10 years ago and the "relationships" since then have all lasted less than 6 weeks with more emphasis on the physical relationship while being friends than ever getting to the point of having an emotional relationship. But you think you fit in to what they really want in a man i.e a hardworker, a comedian, a sports fan, a health nut, a social butterfly, etc but if you dont fit their perceptions of you in the short amount of time they are with you, well your relationship is headed towards a failing unstoppable abrupt demise.

and then i see people on here talking about the aspie dating sites like aspie affection which was said to be fixed a month ago and i check it out, and there are ZERO members online with i would say a still rather suspect very basic feel to it as well. so here we are as aspies wanting to date and be intimate with another person and we dont seem to be able to meet eachother regularly on the predominately NT dating sites. yes i understand we're an unspoken misunderstood ignored minority in the lore of the cool adult actions on the dating sites, but what gives?

i feel im destined to be a disappointment to women til at least im 40 when maybe either A: i have figured it all out and able to hold a relationship longer than 6 weeks or B: women have made their expectations a little clearer, more realistic, and flexible for their ideal man. This is not in any way supposed to be a fight directed towards women in general or users of these sites, just my observations on the topsy turvy world of online dating.

Last edited by Musicprophets on 13 Nov 2010, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2010, 1:25 am

nick007 wrote:
I would recommend that you do NOT rely on dating sites. I was very active & sent out lots of messages but most people did not respond & the few women who did quit messaging soon after. It might be because of my specific situation thou; I'm disabled. I probably would of had better luck if I wasn't.

^ This

conan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 1:17 pm

i would recommend okcupid but yeh don't rely on it or others.
i have met 4 girls from it and 3 of them became my girlfriend hahaha
you might want to put more efort into your profile. it is tough though because you don't want to appear someone you are not but you still need to sell yourself. i would say some nice pictures is useful.

norwegianman1972
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2010, 10:11 am

I haven`t really found anyone good myself, but this one seems to be quite good for Americans: http://www.okcupid.com (from other countries there are not very many people registered, but I have been able to contact people without paying.
Generally, however, most dating sites first will tell you that it is free, but it is NOT! Well, it is free to REGISTER, but you have to pay in order to contact people, and what should be the point to register if you cannot contact anyone? Besides, I am not sure if all are very serious. I suspect that some of the women on the sites are actually models put there to get more people interested. Some of them are very attractive and are pictured in a very sexy pose. And the same pictures stay there for a very long time!

Analog_Mark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2011, 1:15 pm

I'm not sure what other people think on this, but I get the feeling that date sites are too gimmicky. I also get the feeling there a bit of a 'game'. There are genuine people out there in the midst of this seeking a partner - as I can see in this thread - and its interesting because the prospect of contacting a ton of woman, with the notion of more possibility in replies being at the forefront, isn't, for me, very appealing - it just feels wrong, well, for me anyway - and, although I can't put my finger on the exact reason why, something isn't right about them.

I would say, currently, there are no date sites that are good. But nothing is definitive, there’s a few sites recommended, and success stories, within this thread that may prove successful for you.

However, deep down I believe our loss of interaction, our accustomed perspectives and judgements, that psychologically affect us, have impinged on our humanity - we are restricted, like a certificate 15 movie. I wonder what Socrates would write on his okcupid profile. :roll: