I'm absolutely terrified of being considered creepy.

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 12:47 am

This has to be my fundamental, underlying problem.

I think one of the things about AS is that we draw every thought out to it's logical conclusion somewhere in hyperbole... for example, at one point I took my libertarian political views to such an extreme that I considered myself an anarchist for about a year. Anyway, I digress...

How does this relate to dating? Well, as a forever logical Aspie, I base my conclusions on facts I know. Therefore:
Fact #1: Women reject guys they consider creepy.
Fact #2: Women consider a lot of things creepy, and I don't know what all of them are.
Fact #3: Women talk to each other about their feelings.
Conclusion: If one woman finds me creepy, everyone in town will think so in a couple of days. Goodbye social life.

This conclusion very often prevents me from even trying. And on the occasions that I do try, and on which, in retrospect, I probably could have succeeded fairly easily, it causes me to purposefully put myself in the friendzone as quickly as possible, in order to not seem like a threat (aka creepy).

While this conclusion has been great for me in some respects (it's given me a lot of friends, as well as a reputation, perhaps undeserved, as a good guy), it is absolutely KILLING my sex life.

The logic I use to come to that conclusion seems pretty threadbare... there has to be a hole in it somewhere. I need to break that logical hyperbole...

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:07 am

Pabalebo wrote:
This has to be my fundamental, underlying problem.

I think one of the things about AS is that we draw every thought out to it's logical conclusion somewhere in hyperbole... for example, at one point I took my libertarian political views to such an extreme that I considered myself an anarchist for about a year. Anyway, I digress...

How does this relate to dating? Well, as a forever logical Aspie, I base my conclusions on facts I know. Therefore:
Fact #2: Women consider a lot of things creepy, and I don't know what all of them are.
Fact #3: Women talk to each other about their feelings.
Conclusion: If one woman finds me creepy, everyone in town will think so in a couple of days. Goodbye social life.

This conclusion very often prevents me from even trying. And on the occasions that I do try, and on which, in retrospect, I probably could have succeeded fairly easily, it causes me to purposefully put myself in the friendzone as quickly as possible, in order to not seem like a threat (aka creepy).

While this conclusion has been great for me in some respects (it's given me a lot of friends, as well as a reputation, perhaps undeserved, as a good guy), it is absolutely KILLING my sex life.

The logic I use to come to that conclusion seems pretty threadbare... there has to be a hole in it somewhere. I need to break that logical hyperbole...

what is that every guy who does bad in dating a libertarian? Im not, but still.
you must live in very small town.
if a woman, thinks you are creepy then she is not worth it. find a better woman who does not think bad thing about you.
Im sorry, but you can't go your whole life worry if some woman thinks your creepy.
and remember too, women get hit on by many,many creepy guys (legit and fake) so you don't need to worry.
let say you are right, and go up to some woman and ask her out and she thinks your a ''creep''. unless you live in
a very very small city, chances are there would be another ''creepy'' guy asking her out. and probaly more ''creeper'' than you (according to woman) so he would cancel you out

and last, unless you tell the woman your name, and everything about you towards her. How would she even know you?
I mean, she would tell her friends ''some short guy with glasses hit on me today, he was creep'' so how would any other women knows it was you? I don't understand how one single woman can thinks your creep can somehow make every women in the town also thinks your creep.

two how do you assume this woman is popular too. How do you know that she has many female friends, or even going to tell her female friends about you.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:14 am

being creepy to a woman is like being suspicious to a cop. just about anything no matter how normal or common can suddendly for no reason be turned into a negative "feeling"

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:20 am

Honestly dude, I don't know of any sure way to avoid it. Best you can do is make sure you don't deserve it and then hope for the best.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:20 am

Some people think not listening to pop music, not wearing that certain clothing brand or not being religious is ridiculously creepy.

f**k them.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:25 am

mds_02 wrote:
Honestly dude, I don't know of any sure way to avoid it.

pretty much this, especially since it can vary so much. Even the same scenario with the same people can sometimes be either creepy or not. Sometimes being creepy has nothing to do with what you did.

My advice, learn to not care if you're called creepy. Even the so called alpha males are found creepy by half the women they meet.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 1:31 am

The worst part is, I've never actually been called creepy, at least not to my face, and haven't had any rumors get back to me either. I'm just really f***ing scared of it for some reason. Maybe I just need to go out and purposefully get slapped and told off just to prove to myself that it isn't actually that bad...

Last edited by Pabalebo on 30 Jan 2013, 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 1:31 am

And in response to billiscool and I think someone else said it too, yes, I actually do live in a really small town. Doesn't really helps things much.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2013, 1:38 am

This article has some helpful advice for guys who are concerned about coming across as creepy: http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest ... ing-maced/

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

30 Jan 2013, 1:38 am

Being libertarian is creepy. Lol just kidding.

I'm curious about the responses because I'm similar to the OP. I've never been called creepy before so far as I know (maybe it's happened behind my back) but still have this fear.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:42 am

<--- Been called creepy because he refers to himself in the third person in conversations and sometimes has "left of center" references in his verbiage.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:43 am

Yikes! This is a mind twister to answer. This may be a bit scattered....

Quote:

You're a scientist. Yet you seem to eschew empirical evidence when thinking about your sexual relationships with women. Could that be related to the hole?

Quote:
I think one of the things about AS is that we draw every thought out to it's logical conclusion somewhere in hyperbole

Yes, I agree that the folks with AS in my life do tend to draw thoughts out into hyperbole. But I don't agree that hyperbole is the "logical" conclusion to most thoughts. When hyperbole is the conclusion, isn't it usually the fantastical conclusion of a thought?

Quote:

Yep, true. Women don't bond with creepy guys as friends. We just don't. But you have a lot of women friends. Would you consider adding this empirical evidence to your hypothesis?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:47 am

Quote:
''some short guy with glasses hit on me today, he was creep''

Plus; when was the last time you were referred to as some short guy? I should rest my case, but.....

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 1:48 am

ruckus wrote:
This article has some helpful advice for guys who are concerned about coming across as creepy: http://kateharding.net/2009/10/08/guest ... ing-maced/

Not helpful at all. All that tells me is how NOT to approach. I'm pretty damn good at not approaching...

meems
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 2:00 am

I actually would really love to talk to you about this and try to offer useful advice, but in the L&D forum, stating my opinions and views about certain things illicits a lot of hostility from some members, and to be honest I often feel really unwelcome in this forum.

So that said, do you mind if I PM you about this subject to discuss it?

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2013, 2:01 am

And I just realized that the reason I keep making threads asking for general advice not related to a specific situation is that even though I've recognized that there's no formula, I'm still looking for a formula. God damn it...