[edit] more I'M ruining our relationship, not him.

Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 6:52 pm

Even if I don't deserve him.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 7:00 pm

I hate when I do this.
I don't want to be this person anymore.
I want to just accept that he loves me despite all the horrible things i've done to him and other people.
I can't - how can he possibly love me when i'm this?

cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2010, 7:08 pm

To answer your question... He wants to stay, and he will, but if I'm right, it won't necessarily be for all the reasons you want him to. At the end, he'll only be staying because he loves you, and because the thought of what might become of you still puts him in knots.

That's not "pity," either -- it's devotion. You might not see it that way...you might even see him as "weak" right now because he's put up with so much without saying a word...but he's devoted to you, and I'd say it's taken more strength than you'll ever know to stand guard and watch over you while you thrash about carelessly.

Do you deserve that? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. Clearly you don't think so. But intead of going around feeling unworthy and looking for ways to run him off, try feeling ***lucky*** for a change and see how fast that humbles you and makes you want to hit your knees to thank whatever cosmic forces you might believe in for giving you such a blessing.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 7:10 pm

i am very lucky he's still here.
he just keeps telling me to stop worrying and go to bed.
i don't know if can stop worrying, but i will go to bed.
i hope tomorrow looks better.

thank you for putting up with my useless rambling.

cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2010, 7:13 pm

Go to bed. :)

It's not useless rambling. It's tired, emotionally draining, truthful rambling, and I think we'd all do well to do more of it. :wink:

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 7:44 pm

look at all the hate from all the men here
all feeling personally attacked

if it doesn't work it doesn't work, trying to beat a dead horse won't help anyone
my guess he isn't your type
nothing wrong with that
not everyone is your type

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

emlion wrote:
i don't know if can stop worrying, but i will go to bed.
i hope tomorrow looks better.

I'll tell you this - being overanalytical about things is gonna do nothing but vex you out. I beat myself up and overanalyze things and it ends up stressing me out unnecessarily.

Take a nap, go out for a run, visit the local yoga studio, do whatever you need to take your mind off things. You'll thank me in the morning.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

emlion wrote:
For most people he'd be the perfect boyfriend the way he is - kind, generous, understanding, patient.

I don't think most girls want a boyfriend who is afraid to stand up for what he believes is right out of fear that the truth will hurt feelings.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 8:03 pm

alex wrote:
emlion wrote:
For most people he'd be the perfect boyfriend the way he is - kind, generous, understanding, patient.

I don't think most girls want a boyfriend who is afraid to stand up for what he believes is right out of fear that the truth will hurt feelings.

You can go the other way though, noone wants an arse who calls you out on things he shouldn't either.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 8:56 pm

emlion wrote:
He is a fantastic guy. Every other guy i've been with has been abusive - and I can't accept that this one isn't. It's just so alien to me.

Ugh. I don't know why i'm so screwed up in the head - why can't I just keep enjoying it instead of thinking he must have some other motive for being so nice to me all the time?

When I met my current partner, I felt something like this too at the beginning. It was a strange adjustment. With anyone else I had fallen for, I was very unstable and all over the place because none of these people cared about me. With my boyfriend though, I felt calm and content which alarmed me at first because it made me question my feelings. I was thinking that surely I don't love him if I'm not all over the place? But then I realised that for once, I was in a healthy relationship and I eventually relaxed. Now I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life.

The best solution is just to talk to him. Tell him what you told us.

Also, do tell your therapist, don't be afraid of what she'll think as it's unimportant, She's there to listen to you and help you.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:01 pm

I guess when you're used to being treated like crap, you expect it to happen from every guy you're with. Now you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one, and it hasn't happened yet.

Before you was happy because he was great and wasn't an abusive jerk. But now you're not used to this, and need him to give you a little hell.

In conclusion: is it really wise to air your problems, it just seems an over-reaction in your mind. Or, you can take your need for abuse and have it granted in more productive means (I'll save that argument for the adults only section.)

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

01 Dec 2010, 11:36 pm

OP, for the love of God, talk to your therapist about this. You are self-handicapping the hell out of yourself, and I hope you'll stop before you destroy this relationship.

Here's the deal: you were raised in a dysfunctional family, where abuse went hand-in-hand with caretaking. Your parents taught you that there is no love without pain. When your bf provides love without pain, it doesn't feel "authentic" to you - it doesn't feel real or right. You've been through a string of abusive relationships where your parents' original message of love and pain was reinforced. You keep expecting this guy to follow the same path, and when he doesn't, the dissonance created doesn't go unnoticed by your conscious or subconscious, and anxiety starts to build. You want to relieve the anxiety, and you turn to the dysfunctional methods of relieving stress and anxiety that you were taught as a child: fight, yell, scream....causing the storm to find the calm after.

Oh, and yes, you also don't believe you deserve happiness, a functional relationship, a nice guy, security, blah, blah, blah, because you were taught that you weren't worth that as a child. Good news: this is exactly the kind of stuff your therapist can help you with - and she will not judge you, or think that you're stupid. If she's a decent therapist, she already knows that you need to address this issue, and will be eager to help you with it. Go forth and heal, OP - you'll be glad you did.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:16 am

emlion wrote:
He is a fantastic guy. Every other guy i've been with has been abusive - and I can't accept that this one isn't. It's just so alien to me.

Ugh. I don't know why i'm so screwed up in the head - why can't I just keep enjoying it instead of thinking he must have some other motive for being so nice to me all the time?

Yeah, I have to adjust to this with my bf too. I love him dearly, I do. Please talk to him about this because I wouldn't risk losing something this good. >.<

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:49 am

HopeGrows wrote:
OP, for the love of God, talk to your therapist about this. You are self-handicapping the hell out of yourself, and I hope you'll stop before you destroy this relationship.

Here's the deal: you were raised in a dysfunctional family, where abuse went hand-in-hand with caretaking. Your parents taught you that there is no love without pain. When your bf provides love without pain, it doesn't feel "authentic" to you - it doesn't feel real or right. You've been through a string of abusive relationships where your parents' original message of love and pain was reinforced. You keep expecting this guy to follow the same path, and when he doesn't, the dissonance created doesn't go unnoticed by your conscious or subconscious, and anxiety starts to build. You want to relieve the anxiety, and you turn to the dysfunctional methods of relieving stress and anxiety that you were taught as a child: fight, yell, scream....causing the storm to find the calm after.

Oh, and yes, you also don't believe you deserve happiness, a functional relationship, a nice guy, security, blah, blah, blah, because you were taught that you weren't worth that as a child. Good news: this is exactly the kind of stuff your therapist can help you with - and she will not judge you, or think that you're stupid. If she's a decent therapist, she already knows that you need to address this issue, and will be eager to help you with it. Go forth and heal, OP - you'll be glad you did.

Brilliant post. I wholeheartedly agree.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:49 am

^
Me too. You should really think about it emlion, what you're going through is typical for abused women - a therapist could help you a lot.

Be happy

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 4:35 am

So, I woke up today and read all my posts + all your responses and I see my therapist tomorrow anyone - so i'll tell her all about this, she knows about my past and stuff, but I never really told her how it makes me feel sometimes in relation to my boyfriend. I will now. I really don't want to be without him.