Would anyone here attempt to date another WPer?

Page 2 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 6:05 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Yeah the gameplay was completely broken and the plot was full of holes, but squall is the first characteristically aspie video game character that I can think of. The only unrealistic thing about him is that he had chicks hitting on him a lot, but that's japanese games for you...

...whatever

Actually you probably noticed the women hitting on him because you were observing. Think about it, some of us wouldnt have a damn clue while it is happening to us, but we easily can point it out when it is happening to others.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 6:48 am

I have actually dated via WP......Twice!.....Never again!!

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2011, 7:43 am

I would definitely attempt to if someone interesting lived nearby. Like any aspie I have a few hurdles to overcome but I've been working on it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 7:46 am

I certainly would if they lived nearer.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:35 am

No. I'm too unstable.
I need a strong NT. :roll:
Darn.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:09 am

Thanks for the interesting replies, and the gaming stuff is fun to read too even if I haven't got the slightest idea what they're talking about...

Just to clarify, I had interacted with them on the boards, they were in my age group, and there were absolutely no romantic overtures beyond the simple fact that I am male and they were female. I didn't write anything that I wouldn't think twice about writing to a guy - and I certainly was NOT looking for a "hook-up", or even a real-life date at that point. I couldn't possibly conceive of writing a more polite, non-threatening message.

Really, I was only interested in getting to know them in a more personal way because I thought it would be fun to see what other Aspies are like.

That's why I was so baffled/shocked, and quite frankly, offended by the response I got. When it happened again, I thought I must on to something. Either way, I won't be doing it again, unless they PM me first.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:41 am

Grisha, that was incredibly pretentious of the woman who said that to you.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:59 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Grisha, that was incredibly pretentious of the woman who said that to you.

Thanks for the support :)

Actually, there's a little more to the story. The second time this happened, I responded in a respectful, but firm way that her accusation was unfounded, uncalled for, and offensive.

She responded with another message that basically pretended the whole thing never happened. We exchanged a few more "normal" messages which were actually quite nice, and then she disappeared completely without warning :?

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:06 am

Don't worry about those women who responded to you. That level of aggression is a glaring mark of insecurity. Having to attack so harshly to repel you to keep thier fragile little egos in tact.

That does raise a question about WP members. I'd imagine a lot of aspies have lived a difficult life, are quite insecure, and rightfully so.

Would probably have a hard time dating another WP member. My issues hinder relationships enough, so why multiply them by two?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

Well, I would say I've lived a relatively easy life compared to most people I've met. Having said that, anyone else would have broken a long time ago, easy street or not. I may have had it easy, but I've still overcome a lot. Everything I was told my myself and other I would never do, I've done, and better than I, or anyone else, expected. My whole life, I've proved people wrong, and I prefer to be underestimated, because that's when I'm at my best. It's so much easier to relax if the other person doesn't get me, because I can do whatever I want.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:31 am

deadeyexx wrote:
Don't worry about those women who responded to you. That level of aggression is a glaring mark of insecurity. Having to attack so harshly to repel you to keep thier fragile little egos in tact.

I had a friend who promised to never disappear without a reason, but she went back on her word. I tried to talk to her out of concern, to see what was going on, but just dead silence for nearly 6 months. I had to get a friend of mine to talk to her for me, and I did get a reply. But instead of treating me like I was a concerned friend, she reacted as if I was a crazy psycho stalker who was out to get her.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:48 am

Wow, all this talk just reminds me of the time I stopped PMing someone and later found out he was dead.

He had his issues, but apparently I was a contributing factor and he thought I was rejecting him when in reality I stopped PMing him because I had my own issues.

I didn't even know he was attracted to me and was trying to get me to meet him in person. We did click well, but I always assumed we thought of each other as partners in crime rather than as anything else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

The one I was talking would deny her insecurity, when it couldn't be any more obvious, and make it look like I was the one who was insecure and unstable.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:01 am

menintights wrote:
Wow, all this talk just reminds me of the time I stopped PMing someone and later found out he was dead.

He had his issues, but apparently I was a contributing factor and he thought I was rejecting him when in reality I stopped PMing him because I had my own issues.

I didn't even know he was attracted to me and was trying to get me to meet him in person. We did click well, but I always assumed we thought of each other as partners in crime rather than as anything else.

OMG, that's awful - I really hope you don't think it's your fault.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:07 am

dunbots wrote:
What, I'm not allowed to enjoy video games, or talking to people about them? :P

No, you're not allowed to have a different point of view from Kilroy, otherwise he's going to openly hate you, because apparently he can't tolerate people that don't think like him...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Yeah the gameplay was completely broken and the plot was full of holes, but squall is the first characteristically aspie video game character that I can think of. The only unrealistic thing about him is that he had chicks hitting on him a lot, but that's japanese games for you...

...whatever

Actually you probably noticed the women hitting on him because you were observing. Think about it, some of us wouldnt have a damn clue while it is happening to us, but we easily can point it out when it is happening to others.

Could quite possibly be true. I remember how it took a bunch of his friends constantly telling him that rinoa liked him and he didn't believe it, even as she literally dragged him onto a dance floor (also his awkward movements on the floor... definitely an aspie moment there), and then after the 2nd disc is over he finally gets it into his head and then becomes the most loyal partner anyone could ever have. Or was that just more of the poor plot writing of the game? I don't know...