Would anyone here attempt to date another WPer?

Page 3 of 11 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 6:05 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Yeah the gameplay was completely broken and the plot was full of holes, but squall is the first characteristically aspie video game character that I can think of. The only unrealistic thing about him is that he had chicks hitting on him a lot, but that's japanese games for you...

...whatever

Actually you probably noticed the women hitting on him because you were observing. Think about it, some of us wouldnt have a damn clue while it is happening to us, but we easily can point it out when it is happening to others.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 6:48 am

I have actually dated via WP......Twice!.....Never again!!

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2011, 7:43 am

I would definitely attempt to if someone interesting lived nearby. Like any aspie I have a few hurdles to overcome but I've been working on it.

Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2011, 7:46 am

I certainly would if they lived nearer.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:35 am

No. I'm too unstable.
I need a strong NT. :roll:
Darn.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:09 am

Thanks for the interesting replies, and the gaming stuff is fun to read too even if I haven't got the slightest idea what they're talking about...

Just to clarify, I had interacted with them on the boards, they were in my age group, and there were absolutely no romantic overtures beyond the simple fact that I am male and they were female. I didn't write anything that I wouldn't think twice about writing to a guy - and I certainly was NOT looking for a "hook-up", or even a real-life date at that point. I couldn't possibly conceive of writing a more polite, non-threatening message.

Really, I was only interested in getting to know them in a more personal way because I thought it would be fun to see what other Aspies are like.

That's why I was so baffled/shocked, and quite frankly, offended by the response I got. When it happened again, I thought I must on to something. Either way, I won't be doing it again, unless they PM me first.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:41 am

Grisha, that was incredibly pretentious of the woman who said that to you.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:59 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Grisha, that was incredibly pretentious of the woman who said that to you.

Thanks for the support :)

Actually, there's a little more to the story. The second time this happened, I responded in a respectful, but firm way that her accusation was unfounded, uncalled for, and offensive.

She responded with another message that basically pretended the whole thing never happened. We exchanged a few more "normal" messages which were actually quite nice, and then she disappeared completely without warning :?

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:06 am

Don't worry about those women who responded to you. That level of aggression is a glaring mark of insecurity. Having to attack so harshly to repel you to keep thier fragile little egos in tact.

That does raise a question about WP members. I'd imagine a lot of aspies have lived a difficult life, are quite insecure, and rightfully so.

Would probably have a hard time dating another WP member. My issues hinder relationships enough, so why multiply them by two?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

Well, I would say I've lived a relatively easy life compared to most people I've met. Having said that, anyone else would have broken a long time ago, easy street or not. I may have had it easy, but I've still overcome a lot. Everything I was told my myself and other I would never do, I've done, and better than I, or anyone else, expected. My whole life, I've proved people wrong, and I prefer to be underestimated, because that's when I'm at my best. It's so much easier to relax if the other person doesn't get me, because I can do whatever I want.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:31 am

deadeyexx wrote:
Don't worry about those women who responded to you. That level of aggression is a glaring mark of insecurity. Having to attack so harshly to repel you to keep thier fragile little egos in tact.

I had a friend who promised to never disappear without a reason, but she went back on her word. I tried to talk to her out of concern, to see what was going on, but just dead silence for nearly 6 months. I had to get a friend of mine to talk to her for me, and I did get a reply. But instead of treating me like I was a concerned friend, she reacted as if I was a crazy psycho stalker who was out to get her.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:48 am

Wow, all this talk just reminds me of the time I stopped PMing someone and later found out he was dead.

He had his issues, but apparently I was a contributing factor and he thought I was rejecting him when in reality I stopped PMing him because I had my own issues.

I didn't even know he was attracted to me and was trying to get me to meet him in person. We did click well, but I always assumed we thought of each other as partners in crime rather than as anything else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

The one I was talking would deny her insecurity, when it couldn't be any more obvious, and make it look like I was the one who was insecure and unstable.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:01 am

menintights wrote:
Wow, all this talk just reminds me of the time I stopped PMing someone and later found out he was dead.

He had his issues, but apparently I was a contributing factor and he thought I was rejecting him when in reality I stopped PMing him because I had my own issues.

I didn't even know he was attracted to me and was trying to get me to meet him in person. We did click well, but I always assumed we thought of each other as partners in crime rather than as anything else.

OMG, that's awful - I really hope you don't think it's your fault.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:07 am

dunbots wrote:
What, I'm not allowed to enjoy video games, or talking to people about them? :P

No, you're not allowed to have a different point of view from Kilroy, otherwise he's going to openly hate you, because apparently he can't tolerate people that don't think like him...