So I'm never in a rush

nunctecognovi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2011, 4:55 am

Solvejg wrote:
Too tall?

Never!
Who has the right to establish when a woman is too tall in the first place?

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 4:58 am

I would say anything over 5'8" is on the tall side for a woman.

When I was in primary school, there was a girl in my class who was taller than everyone else (inc. the boys) by a considerable margin and took a size 8 shoe size while the rest of us took a size 3 or 4. I dread to think how tall that girl is now.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:09 am

Solvejg wrote:
Too tall?

This might be pushing it.

Seriously though, it's really relative to the height of the guy. Being an average 5 10 ish, I reckon I'd prefer someone between 5'4 and 5'7 ideally, and not taller than myself. I wouldn't rule it out, but I think women generally don't like to date guys more petite than themselves.

Aspie_SE10
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2011, 6:21 am

No such thing: how shallow would someone have to be to define someone as "too tall", especially in a Love and Dating context.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:42 am

Don't know. 2 of my partners were taller than I was, and it didn't cause us any trouble. I really didn't notice it, apart from when one of them made a catty remark about my being "short"....I countered by saying I wanted to talk about widths (she was rather tubby), and quietly thought to myself "what a pity she's so backward." It was all rather silly because she was actually rather proud of her progressive attitude to life.....I think the main motivation for the slight was that she felt compelled to tease people, and I doubt that the height issue really mattered to her.

It seems quite weird that people still think it's improper for the woman in a couple to be taller than the man. Kind of smacks of the old "big, tough, protective male" thing, which doesn't seem appropriate in our supposedly feministic era.

So personally I've never had a maximum gf height, though if I were dating again I'd notice if the lady were taller than I was, and it would be yet another reason to think that she might not take me on.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
It seems quite weird that people still think it's improper for the woman in a couple to be taller than the man. Kind of smacks of the old "big, tough, protective male" thing, which doesn't seem appropriate in our supposedly feministic era.

The eras change, the veneer of culture changes, but the basic biological programs are still the same.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:11 am

....when she tells you "you're too short".

mv
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:21 am

Moog wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

The eras change, the veneer of culture changes, but the basic biological programs are still the same.

Man, you said a mouthful, right there...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:30 am

mv wrote:
Moog wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Thank you? :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:41 am

Moog wrote:
mv wrote:
Moog wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Thank you? :lol:

I reckon that's the right response......it's a concise and (probably) correct explanation you've given us. It explains my beef with feminism - that they don't go far enough.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:44 am

Aspie_SE10 wrote:
No such thing: how shallow would someone have to be to define someone as "too tall", especially in a Love and Dating context.

Some shallowness is fine in the Love and Dating context imo. I mean I want a gf who I am physically attracted to, otherwise we'd just be friends. So I don't get why people make such a big thing out of people being "shallow" here. It seems to me the the "Love and Dating contrext" is the context where it would be acceptable. I wouldn't want a gf who was a lot taller than me (maybe I am insecure, I will admit that?), but for everything else it shouldn't matter - ie I would never judge a woman for being too tall in the Friends or Colleagues context

Whether people like it or not, it DOES usually look stupid if a guy is with a girl who's a lot taller than him. At least I think it does, and I reckon a lot of others would too. If you're ok with that though then good for you. I just personally would want a gf who was about the same height as me or a bit shorter

Edit: and as for the OP, it all depends on how tall you are yourself. If you're fairly tall already, then I doubt it's something you#d need to worry about

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:51 am

Volodja wrote:
Whether people like it or not, it DOES usually look stupid if a guy is with a girl who's a lot taller than him. At least I think it does, and I reckon a lot of others would too. If you're ok with that though then good for you. I just personally would want a gf who was about the same height as me or a bit shorter

I don't know if I would use the word "stupid", but I remember seeing a couple at Disneyland where the girl was at least 6" taller than the guy - it really stood out.

One of the two LTR's I've had in my life was with someone who was almost my height (6') - I didn't mind at all but she was a little self conscious about it - she would rarely wear heels and would tell people she was "5 foot - twelve"

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

Yeah I was probably being a bit harsh when I said stupid, sorry :P

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 9:29 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Boo hit the only right answer. :)

flamemasterelan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2011, 9:39 am

wefunction wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Boo hit the only right answer. :)

You two...agree?

Oh, God. We're all going to die!