What is worse, rejection or being cheated on, dumped, etc?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 12:17 am

What do you consider the worse experience

After some people may rant about constant rejection and some of the experience being harsh, as I have been there, in the end, I think that the other problems within relationships such as infidelity, abruptly calling for an end, and the usual fights, all of these seem worse. Frankly I don't think I could handle any of them, so maybe I'm not missing that much :P

So, being alone may not be that bad after all, compared to other issues. I know this looks a bit pessimistic but if I had to choose, I think I rather play safe, not that I can actually choose.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 12:44 am

Meh. We're comparing vomit and s**t here.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:01 am

blunnet wrote:

After some people may rant about constant rejection and some of the experience being harsh, as I have been there, in the end, I think that the other problems within relationships such as infidelity, abruptly calling for an end, and the usual fights, all of these seem worse. Frankly I don't think I could handle any of them, so maybe I'm not missing that much :P

So, being alone may not be that bad after all, compared to other issues. I know this looks a bit pessimistic but if I had to choose, I think I rather play safe, not that I can actually choose.

Not to mention being single has its freedom. After my last relationship, I came to appreciate being single partly for this reason.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

rejection is worse, with the other you at least get to make a connection.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:24 am

cheating. bar none, rejection is whatever. Getting dumped can be harsh but its something that you move forwards from but cheating is scum.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 1:55 am

Cheating > Being dumped > Rejection

rejection and being dumped kinda depends on the circumstances... but usually there is nothing to lose from being rejected so its not such a bad thing...

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:03 am

It depends on the circumstances.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:31 am

Dingo7 wrote:

rejection and being dumped kinda depends on the circumstances... but usually there is nothing to lose from being rejected so its not such a bad thing...

Pretty much. In a cheating scenario, you already have the relationship established, and it's a horrible slap in the face. Being dumped is awful, and can feel as devastating. Rejection is sh**ty, and feels like your got hit in the stomach sometimes, but it's the least of the three.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:59 am

At least with heating, you have better options for revenge :-)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:19 am

I've never been cheated on.. so I have to vote for being dumped.
In reality though cheated on and dumped would both be as bad as the other - as they both involve heartbreak.
My real answer is the worst feeling in the world is having your heart broken.
Rejection is nothing really compared to heart break.

It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all? Bullsh*t. It's not.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:01 am

From personal experience:

Being cheated on by your spouse is by far the worst, followed by being dumped, followed by rejection by someone you really liked.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:56 am

Dingo7 wrote:

blondieamc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

Nexus wrote:
blunnet wrote:

Not to mention being single has its freedom. After my last relationship, I came to appreciate being single partly for this reason.

Why is that?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

Dingo7 wrote:

Agreed.

Being rejected at the start is far better than being dumped after being (allegedly) accepted. Being cheated on is the worst.

Remember, the number-one most common cause of all divorces is marriage.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

Cheating could be the worst, depending on circumstances. As it is a betrayal of trust, which could lead to trust issues in future relationships.

Being dumped happens to everyone. It all depends on the intensity of the relationship, how much love you felt, how much you depended on them. So, it might be a minor upset, or a horrendous hearbreak. If your husband of 40 years dumps you, then it would almost certainly have more effect than a 1 month boyfriend cheating on you.

Being rejected - Life goes on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHzicKq3W4&ob=av2e[/youtube]

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

for me...

breakup>cheating>rejection

rejection is something i've had a lot of, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

cheating is something i've been able to get over without too much problem and it has even allowed me sort of a growth opportunity. it hurt me in a sharp stabbing sort of way, but it showed me a person's true colours (or see the issues within our relationship) and i could move on from there.

a breakup.... well, i'm separating from my husband of 16 years (20 years of marriage). we've been slowly breaking up over the last couple of years and the physical split is not yet final (we still live in the same house, though we are like best-friend-roommates). over that period of breakup, it has been devastating, and harrowing, and heartbreaking, and has made me physically ill at times. it is pretty much mutual, but the pain isn't necessarily lessened because of that. mourning the demise of a marriage can be quite a massive process.