Don't know how to tell mum about relationship stuff.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2011, 6:22 am

So about 8 hours ago, I bravely told this person (over the phone of course) that I liked him and fortunately, he said he liked me too. It was very wonderful until I realized I would have to tell my mum about it. The only problem is, I don't want to because I would feel very uncomfortable and I'm not the kind of person who talks about feelings very well or at all. But of course, I'm not planning on having a secret boyfriend :P Nonono, I just don't know how I should let her know about him. Or if I should wait until I actually become this person's girlfriend, since it'd would be more certain than now?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 6:30 am

In my past i would say in passing conversations. "oh i may be seeing someone."..... Wait until it is a full on debate though. then your news falls on death ears.

So I'm never in a rush

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 6:31 am

Send her an email or something saying pretty much what you've just said here. My daughter (17) sometimes writes notes to me about things she can't voice and leaves them on my desk.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

I don't have any advice for you LuxoJr but I can relate to that. I never had a close relationship with my parents & the idea of talking to em about relationship stuff is extremely overwhelming for me. I never talked to em about that stuff. I sometime think it might be easier to elope & cut my parents & family out of my life instead of having to talk to em & having em involved

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 1:19 pm

I´d say wait some time to see if its going to work and after a couple of weeks tell them if you feel like doing so.

Theres no need of getting your parents hopes up if you are uncertain over if its going to work or not.

As for the second part after a couple of bad incidents when introducing a girl to my parents I decided that my relationships where none of their bussiness and I only bring a female(usually friends) home when Im certain they wont be there. Otherwise they start assuming things and asking them too many questions, next thing you know the girls wont pick my calls and they start acting weirdly whenever we meet.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html