Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

MXH wrote:
AsteroidNap wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
I don't really remember any, and even the 'feminazi' thing seems more likely an overblown criticism of feminism than of women.

The invective 'feminazi' infuriates me to no end. It is profoundly disrespectful on so many levels, to so many people. It likens the feminist movement to one of the most horrendous movements in human history under Fascist Germany. This term attempts to undercut the countless positive influences that the feminist movement has had. Simultaneously, it disrespects the awful legacy perpetrated on the Jewish people.

When someone uses it, it tells me they have no understanding of this, and are simply regurgitating propaganda they've heard, and thus should be ignored really.

When someone uses it, it also tells me they're just as likely to use terms like 'slut', 'whore', 'hysterical'...the list goes on...terms all used to 'put women in their place'.

If one has an issue with Feminism, then debate it. Don't resort to invectives because one's argument is failing.

the whole feminazi thing started not because of the rights women had gained, but of the way most hardcore feminists seem to want to blame everything on men and not accept that maybe it is part womens fault that they have allowed the words slut, whore and so on to be used for all this time. You cant let a dog pee on your carpet for years and then expect him not to do it again.

Thats alot down to gender feminism which some of it pisses this equity feminist off. Most of gender feminism seeks to create an gender inequality. Domestic violence, child custody, sexual harassment, divorce, sexual objectification and sexual assault ARE NOT GYNOCENTRIC, gender feminists forget that fact and when do acknowledge that thoses things affect men as well they only sweep it under that carpet as it takes away from there gynocentic propaganda.

Second-wave and third-wave feminism created this issue of gender feminism, it also created the Ladettes and the Female Chauvinist Pigs. Its now getting to the point the once former oppressed gender are becoming the oppressors!

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2011, 1:59 am

InsomniacDreams wrote:
LadySera wrote:
I think chivalry is nice sometimes ...Conversely I like to dress up for that type of thing. I guess I'm sort of old school in that reserve. The guy was complimenting me on lots of stuff I just like to do naturally when I go out, such as perfume, makeup and having my nails done. I realized it was sort of like we were unicorns to each other. I am used to dressing like that from where I used to live and people got ready to go out. Here I looked around and the other girls in my age range were all wearing cut off shorts and flip flops.

Are your nails real? I ask because mine have finally in the last couple months grown back from freezing off some time ago, and I keep them polished and shaped nicely and people seem fascinated by them. The cut-off shorts and flip flops are everywhere. Sadly, I was disappointed to find-out that wearing pj bottoms seems to be as well.

*Off Topic, Anais Nin, very interesting individual, not one I see many have avatars of either, cool*

Yes, my nails are real. They get pretty long & then when like 2 break off I always cut the rest. They grow back quickly though. I've never had a professional manicure. I've seen my sister get them & I'd be uncomfortable with the stranger touching me. That's cool that you do yours too.

I think that she is too.

AsteroidNap wrote:
LadySera wrote:
I think chivalry is nice sometimes. I'm not big on socialization but not long ago I went to a bar for a few drinks. An older man started buying them for me. .

And why do you think he was buying them for you? Chivalry???

No, I'm not an idiot. He was trying to sleep with me. However men in my generation have begged me for drinks while trying to sleep with me. I did make it clear that I wasn't going to sleep with him. However he was very interesting so I enjoyed his stories.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:02 am

Who, exactly, are these man-hating feminists?
Can someone please toss out a name/organization, as-representative of a billions-strong philosophy?
Or are we done stabbing at self-conjured imaginary phantoms?

to his Interest."

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Very good question. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I personally don't know any. Frankly, I've encountered far more woman-hating men (especially on this site!) than the opposite.

And it always bothers me when "feminist" and "man-hating" are thrown together. Exactly what does one have to do with the other? I consider myself to be a strong feminist, but I most certainly do not hate men. How does wanting equal opportunities and equal treatment in the law equate to hating men??? Sheesh.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

You might wish to look at the definitions of gynocentric and gynocentrism.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gynocentric
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynocentrism

If I wished to refer to "man-hating" I would of used the term misandry.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Very good question. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I personally don't know any. Frankly, I've encountered far more woman-hating men (especially on this site!) than the opposite.

And it always bothers me when "feminist" and "man-hating" are thrown together. Exactly what does one have to do with the other? I consider myself to be a strong feminist, but I most certainly do not hate men. How does wanting equal opportunities and equal treatment in the law equate to hating men??? Sheesh.

In the same way that black civil rights advocates were the enemies of whites, ethical vegetarians hate humans, Jews were enemies of the great German nation, and so on. :roll:
There's no more effective (though laughable) way of countering indictments of oppression or even the mere existence of it with a feigned melodramatic persecution complex.

Yeah, gotta watch out for all the man-haters out there, what with all their building of acid bomb proof schools for girls and lobbying for funding of counseling programs for victims of sex trafficking, and community access to reproductive health care regardless of socioeconomic class. :roll: It is a horrifying state of affairs when being pro basic human rights irrespective of sex is said to be an anti-male philosophy. It says a lot about current constructions of masculinity.

to his Interest."

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
In the same way that black civil rights advocates were the enemies of whites, ethical vegetarians hate humans, Jews were enemies of the great German nation, and so on. :roll:
There's no more effective (though laughable) way of countering indictments of oppression or even the mere existence of it with a feigned melodramatic persecution complex.

Very well-said :)

Quote:
It is a horrifying state of affairs when being pro basic human rights irrespective of sex is said to be an anti-male philosophy. It says a lot about current constructions of masculinity.

Yes, it does. And I think it's interesting to compare female "liberation" to those earlier movements of black civil rights or youth rebellions. I wonder if men feel more of a sense of betrayal when women express a desire for basic human rights than they do when blacks or the youth express them. When a black man or a college student rebels, that's more or less expected. But when your woman rebels? That's not expected. It's betrayal.

It's ironic that we're still even having this conversation. I remember years ago hearing things like ... "society isn't ready for that yet" ... or "they're going too far" and "you can't legislate people's feelings". My response to that was, I don't really care about the feelings part of it. I expect that it will take a generation or two for that to come around. But in the meantime, we can fix the laws, and we can make sure that girls don't grow up being taught that they're second-class human beings.

And the thing is ... none of this really has anything to do with men. Pro-woman does not equate to anti-men. Personally, I get along very well with men. I enjoy their company. I enjoy having sex with them. Etc, etc, etc. But I get riled when I hear someone whining about a "double standard". I want to say to them ... really? You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were paid half of what men were paid. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women couldn't get into medical school. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were denied corporate promotions or were even fired for being too "uppity".

But despite all this, I'm grateful that we've come as far as we have. My daughters just graduated from college this past spring and they fully believe they have no limits whatsoever, certainly not the ones my mother or grandmother faced. That's something.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
But I get riled when I hear someone whining about a "double standard".

Double standards are wrong, and it doesn't matter which direction the double standard is in.

I tend not to whine about that sort of thing much personally, because whining is the sort of thing that some feminists do that tends to annoy me the most.

Quote:
I want to say to them ... really? You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were paid half of what men were paid. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women couldn't get into medical school. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were denied corporate promotions or were even fired for being too "uppity".

I wasn't born then, either.