Proof that aspies can have successful relationships

Page 8 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

queenserenity22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2011, 12:57 am

Me and my boyfriend have been together for four months and in september we will have known each other for a year. We both have have aspergers and we get along great he is my best friend and a wonderful partner. We have so much fun together. I love him so much and don't want any one else but him. :heart: :heart:

George Carlin

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

Anyone can if they put enough effort into it. The only problem is motivation and doubt (This is my issue, not to mention that I dont know if it would be practical for me). Hell, the hardest part of a relationship is getting into one in the first place.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

queenserenity22 wrote:
Me and my boyfriend have been together for four months and in september we will have known each other for a year. We both have have aspergers and we get along great he is my best friend and a wonderful partner. We have so much fun together. I love him so much and don't want any one else but him. :heart: :heart:

"FUN" :?

Melpomene
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2011, 10:01 am

aussiebloke wrote:
Forget education,looks,money etc I think most of us wouldn't know how to make ourselves lovable to a significant other . :wink:

No offence, but speak for yourself, please. People on this board have attracted the attention of Aspies and NTs alike and entered into relationships with them. Of course that necessarily mean they are 'loveable' or even 'loved', but there's always some degree of affection involved. It might not come instinctively to a lot of us Aspies, but that's not to say we're per definition unloveable.

aussiebloke wrote:

Wow, rude much.

AmyF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
queenserenity22 wrote:

Stop your goddamn whining. once again: You don't have to read this stuff.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

AmyF wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
queenserenity22 wrote:

Seriously Aussiebloke, you're being quite rude. Not cool. :/

AmyF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

@Erisad I was totally expecting you to call me rude too. Awesome that you didn't.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Erisad wrote:
SadAspy wrote:
Aspy men can have successful relationships if they're good-looking or rich. I'm neither.

Why do you guys assume that all women want are rich and good-looking men? You guys must be looking at the wrong women. :/

I'm very wrong.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

smudge wrote:
Erisad wrote:
SadAspy wrote:
Aspy men can have successful relationships if they're good-looking or rich. I'm neither.

Why do you guys assume that all women want are rich and good-looking men? You guys must be looking at the wrong women. :/

I'm very wrong.

Um...okay? *confused face*

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

Erisad wrote:
smudge wrote:
Erisad wrote:
SadAspy wrote:

I'm very wrong.

How is that confusing? OK, I mean I want a good looking rich man. As Marilyn Monroe said...a rich man is as attractive as a pretty girl. I think it's less shallow to like someone who is rich, because it's security as well.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

smudge wrote:
Erisad wrote:
smudge wrote:
Erisad wrote:
SadAspy wrote:

I'm very wrong.

How is that confusing? OK, I mean I want a good looking rich man. As Marilyn Monroe said...a rich man is as attractive as a pretty girl. I think it's less shallow to like someone who is rich, because it's security as well.

Oh, okay. I'm very tired and haven't had much sleep lately. >.<

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Erisad wrote:
AmyF wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
queenserenity22 wrote:

Hardly it was a dig at myself, I'm not at all familiar with this fun concepts nor am I willing to learn I'm at the age where you can't teach this dog new tricks from my observation fun for people around my age includes:

1.Drinking copious amounts of alcohol and making an ass of yourself extra points shall be given for a bar brawl and or jail time.

2. Going to overpriced theme parks while blissfully (ignorance is bliss) mindlessly cheering to frightened and dispirited animals , extra points are given if you chow down $22 misery burger yes meat is misery and murder , I guess I need to accept humans being humans they put their very very minor interests (pleasing a palate) ahead of the major interests of animals (stay alive and be free from pain and suffering I guess that's what being human is all about.

3."Shopping sprees" 100's of dollars (extra points shall be given if it's in the 1000's) on overpriced branded clothing which will go out of fashion tomorrow.

This is one of the many reasons I can never have a GF :D which suits me just fine, I thought I was surrounded by rational people whatever do you hope to achieve ? Will it change you? or make you a better person? why would you want a coning, controlling costly money pit in your life who's only likely to take you away from special interests,?

Why are we even entertaing the possibility it's akin to putting Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and a PS3 in a room , ie nothing much can come out of it it , or more than likely end up in tears ( gold digger for the men) and a nut job for the women.

Worst of all you need become dependent and trusting of some one why would you do such a thing ? have you not learned your lessons that nobody can be trusted I trust no one you'd be wise to do likewise.

Zip
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2011, 8:10 pm

My Aspie husband and I have been married for 31 years. He just recently found out he is an Aspie and I am an NT. We have struggled our whole lives with communication, but we do know this. We love each other and have stuck it out through thick and thin, better and worse. It has been totally worth the commitment. Key word here folks....Commitment. We raise 4 responsible children who are in the military, ministry, and other professions. Now we enjoy being Grandma and Grandpa to 3 girls.

On any given day we thanks God for our marriage and our lives together. Yes, it is possible to find love and a relationship if you are an Aspie.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

aussiebloke wrote:
From my observation fun for people around my age includes:
1.Drinking copious amounts of alcohol and making an ass of yourself extra points shall be given for a bar brawl and or jail time.

Yeah, that one baffles me. I've been drunk about three times, but once I get to a certain point the appeal switches off. I hate not being in control of myself - perhaps because I'm not in control of much else. And I really don't need it - drunk people can't speak clearly, walk into things, find the most random nonsense amusing and occasionally do socially inappropriate things. I do all that anyway.

Living with an alcoholic didn't exactly inspire me to booze either...

Quote:
2. Going to overpriced theme parks while blissfully (ignorance is bliss) mindlessly cheering to frightened and dispirited animals , extra points are given if you chow down $22 misery burger yes meat is misery and murder , I guess I need to accept humans being humans they put their very very minor interests (pleasing a palate) ahead of the major interests of animals (stay alive and be free from pain and suffering I guess that's what being human is all about.

Meat is delicious. Though overpriced theme park burgers, less so.
You're being very silly here. There isn't an animal on the planet that, mothering instincts occasionally aside, doesn't put its own needs above those of other creatures. My cat has no remorse when she kills a bird or mouse. Her sadness only comes from her "toy" no longer working.

Quote:
3."Shopping sprees" 100's of dollars (extra points shall be given if it's in the 1000's) on overpriced branded clothing which will go out of fashion tomorrow.

A great number of people base their self-image on how other people see them, and go to ridiculous lengths to maintain that image. The irony is that to be really cool, you have to live for yourself and not give a stuff what other people think. You can't start a fashion trend by copying everyone else.

Quote:
This is one of the many reasons I can never have a GF :D which suits me just fine, I thought I was surrounded by rational people whatever do you hope to achieve?

I've never met a rational person. If you find one, take a picture for me.

Quote:
Will it change you? or make you a better person? why would you want a coning, controlling costly money pit in your life who's only likely to take you away from special interests?

Oh dear. So my partner's efforts to get me a decent job, a home, driving lessons and generally make my life better were entirely self-centred? Equally my contribution to the bills, household chores and IT support are me conning him?

Very few people are the conniving monstrosities you've described above. I've met one or two. You are not obligated to marry them just because you've slept with them.

Quote:
Worst of all you need become dependent and trusting of some one why would you do such a thing ? have you not learned your lessons that nobody can be trusted I trust no one you'd be wise to do likewise.

Funny thing about trust. It needs to be earned. When you don't trust people, they frequently let you down. But when you do trust them, they often don't. The key is not to avoid trusting anyone - that's like not eating anything to avoid food poisoning. Likewise, trusting everyone on everything is disastrous. The key is to trust certain people with certain things. It takes time and you'll sometimes be let down, because humans are stupid and unreliable, but if it's important to them, they'll do their best.

I get the impression you've been with some bad girlfriends. There are some gold diggers out there, and they seem more common than they are because the good girls stay in relationships, but the bad ones get through them like hot dinners. If you give off the wrong impression, only the bad girls will date you - or rather, your wallet.

AmyF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
Erisad wrote:
AmyF wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
queenserenity22 wrote:

Hardly it was a dig at myself, I'm not at all familiar with this fun concepts nor am I willing to learn I'm at the age where you can't teach this dog new tricks from my observation fun for people around my age includes:

This is one of the many reasons I can never have a GF :D which suits me just fine, I thought I was surrounded by rational people whatever do you hope to achieve ? Will it change you? or make you a better person? why would you want a coning, controlling costly money pit in your life who's only likely to take you away from special interests,?

Why are we even entertaing the possibility it's akin to putting Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and a PS3 in a room , ie nothing much can come out of it it , or more than likely end up in tears ( gold digger for the men) and a nut job for the women.

Aren't you just a little ball of joy? You're pretty much the reason I hate hanging out with autistic people. None of you know how to have fun and hate everything normal.

em_06
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years and he is the most amazing, wonderful and kind person to me! I feel so lucky to be with him! :heart: