Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

Oh. Phew. For a minute there I thought you WERE Chase, which would be awkward cause I called him racist.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

There is a way you can end up chased by women: get the word out that you have chocolate.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Lightfiend wrote:
Hey Moog. Thanks as always for sharing my articles.

It's cool that you come along to join these discussions. This one got a bit heated, but I know you can manage an argument. :wink:

Quote:
Moog can attest that I am ALWAYS willing to discuss this information in more detail for absolutely free. I live and breath this stuff, and I don't back-down from any criticism.

This is true. Lightfiend, like me, is always open to hearing the other side of something.

Quote:
Oh. Phew. For a minute there I thought you WERE Chase, which would be awkward cause I called him racist.

whut

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There is a way you can end up chased by women: get the word out that you have chocolate.

Haha,

You know, every time I eat chocolate in the street, I notice women's eyes gravitating towards me. Well, my chocolate.

I think there's something in it.

If I was a more enterprising person, I'd invent chocolate aftershave

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZ-6y2UEfM[/youtube]

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 10:37 am

Moog wrote:

Quote:

whut

Oh. I feel myself digging myself into one of those holes again. I thought Lightfiend was Chase and it would be kind of awkward cause I noted earlier that Chase talked as if it were a triumph that "other"-raced people got women's attention.

"Jim was 5’3″, Puerto Rican, 23 when I knew him, with a big beer belly and a touch of a premature bald spot, but [but?] he also sported an easy laugh, a megawatt smile, and a magnetic personality."

and

"a 5’6″ Asian guy who pulled off (and still pulls off) the craziest things with girls. Even when he was (briefly) in a committed relationship, he still had women – some of them tall, very pretty, and with incredible bodies – chasing after him. And at the time, his Chinese accent was so thick I couldn’t understand how American girls could even understand him, let alone chase him."

It's barely perceptible but when I perceive this kind of thing I get stuck on it and feel a little.... eiggghhaghhhh! Anyway. Don't want to get into that.

Lightfiend
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

AsteroidNap wrote:
This is a rhetorical fallacy.

How? I know women who actually talk like this. Sure, it's anecdotal evidence, but it's still an empirical observation nonetheless. Nothing fallacious about it.

AsteroidNap wrote:
As for the bolded text, I was referring to the propensity of such PUA works to come off as universal, magic solutions. Most people don't realize that these sorts of works only filter for women with a very narrow set of psychological characteristics. I'm certainly sophisticated enough to know there are no such things as magic, universal solutions for dating in general.

I don't think these principles apply to THAT narrow a spectrum of women (although certainly not all). There are GENERAL rules of attraction that can be applied (in varying ways) to a wide group of people. I think Chase's international status is some testament to this fact. Sure, everyone is their own individual self, but we share a lot of commonalities too.

Lightfiend
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2011, 11:01 am

purchase wrote:

Which hopefully was in jest, because that kind of insult really came out of nowhere.

Lightfiend
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

purchase wrote:
Oh. I feel myself digging myself into one of those holes again. I thought Lightfiend was Chase and it would be kind of awkward cause I noted earlier that Chase talked as if it were a triumph that "other"-raced people got women's attention.

"Jim was 5’3″, Puerto Rican, 23 when I knew him, with a big beer belly and a touch of a premature bald spot, but [but?] he also sported an easy laugh, a megawatt smile, and a magnetic personality."

and

"a 5’6″ Asian guy who pulled off (and still pulls off) the craziest things with girls. Even when he was (briefly) in a committed relationship, he still had women – some of them tall, very pretty, and with incredible bodies – chasing after him. And at the time, his Chinese accent was so thick I couldn’t understand how American girls could even understand him, let alone chase him."

It's barely perceptible but when I perceive this kind of thing I get stuck on it and feel a little.... eiggghhaghhhh! Anyway. Don't want to get into that.

Honestly? I think you're reading WAY too far into it. Merely mentioning someone's race, or how their accent may inhibit them from being understood, is not at all racist.

Lightfiend
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2011, 11:07 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

This is true, which is why I keep Hershey Bars stuffed in my boxer briefs.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:13 am

Lightfiend wrote:
Hey Moog. Thanks as always for sharing my articles.

To those concerned with the "sales-ness" of the article...yes, there's a book to sell, but the fact that I support myself through my site is only an added benefit to being able to write about content I love and engage with like-minded people.

Moog can attest that I am ALWAYS willing to discuss this information in more detail for absolutely free. I live and breath this stuff, and I don't back-down from any criticism.

Don't believe me? E-mail me about anything in regards to personal development and I will give a carefully thought-out response: [email protected]. I'm not just in this for a quick buck.

That being said, let me address a few criticisms in this thread:

TheygoMew wrote:
These form of mind games are abusive and doesn't make me want to chase but run away.

Those are flags of someone who is an insecure controlling sadistic type. Only those who are cruel and view women as just objects think those mind games are the best way so ladies if you come across these as*holes, don't chase...RUN!

What "mind games" are you referring to? Did you read the article or did you just regurgitate your prejudices about the Pick-Up Community? The reason being is I constantly hear this criticism from people, but when I prod further they seem to know very little about just how varied individuals in the PU community really are.

Are there some sadistic, narcissists in the community? Absolutely. Is everyone in the community mentally messed up? Far from it - that would be a very narrow and blinding generalization about a bunch of people who I doubt you really know.

This isn't geared toward you specifically TheygoMew, but I always find it ironic when people are more than happy to accept personal development advice, but when it is framed in the context of "how to interact better with women" that all-of-a-sudden makes it selfish and narcissistic.

Some women will complain on one side of their mouth that they "wish there were better men out there" and then complain on the other side when men actually take an active and conscious role to be better romantics. Some people you truly can't please.

AsteroidNap wrote:
Hmm, I found the article to be little more than a 4000 word plug for the dude's book. Here's the thing with this sort of approach in my opinion. It acts as a filter that only allows a certain type of woman through. It's not a universal, magic solution.

Yes there is a book for sale, but a 4,000 word plug? Chase didn't even mention his book ONCE throughout the course of the interview - it's only talked about when I bring it up. I won't deny that there is an intent to sell, but this is a cheap-shot at the information Chase provides in the article.

Also, in regards to the bolded text, this is a criticism you can make about literally anything, but that doesn't mean it can't be really helpful for many people. If you're looking for "magic solutions" then you're going to find yourself dismissing every piece of information and advice that comes your way. Ultimately, it's a dangerous and self-defeating criticism.

Grisha wrote:
My major criticism of the PUA approach, it not only does it only appeal to a certain kind of woman, it presents a false impression of who you actually are which will inevitably backfire. It's only useful/appropriate for one-night-stands or "flings" and pretty much useless for "real" relationships...

This is a fair criticism. A lot of PUA material (and personal development material, more broadly) has to do with a bit of personality change.

But what is your personality anyway? Upon reflection you'll find it's not a static and fixed thing, it is constantly changing and evolving in the face of new experiences and information. Who you were 10 years ago is probably quite different than who you are today. And who you will be in 10 years will probably be quite different from who you are today.

Changes are inevitable, the only difference is PUA material (and personal development) is about playing a more conscious role in a process that is happening to you whether you are aware of it or not.

I've personally changed a lot over the past 6 years I've been involved with this stuff, but it was a concious and organic change. In many ways, I am still the same. I still have the same goofy personality, eclectic tastes, and awkward demeanor, but I've learned how to express it in a way that benefits my social interactions in a way that I could NEVER achieve if I didn't play a conscious role in who I become.

Be very careful in the belief of a "fixed self" - Buddhists often identify this as the very cause of suffering itself.

----

Cheers to everyone who shared their thoughts. I'll check back if anyone has anything else to add.

Men always claim women are wrong about what they want so then they go and listen to men who aren't women. These are abusive mind games. I've seen it in action and unfortunately I was the star of this kind of stupid mind game. He wouldn't let up and by the end of it, he didn't get what he wanted which was sex and I had to put up with BS from other women that was not necessary.

How about men quit claiming women don't know what they want and resort to these immature games never admitting when it blows up in their face to save their face.

Either that or I think it's time for women to pull the same s**t and see how you like it. Only then maybe you will see how abusive it really is.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:15 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

If you are attractive, smart AND you have chocolate....be prepared to be chased.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

TheygoMew wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

If you are attractive, smart AND you have chocolate....be prepared to be chased.

I think I've finally figured out the three things I need to do that have eluded me until now:

1. Be handsome
2. Be attractive
3. Don't be unattractive.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Lightfiend wrote:
purchase wrote:

and

Honestly? I think you're reading WAY too far into it. Merely mentioning someone's race, or how their accent may inhibit them from being understood, is not at all racist.

Mentioning someone's race in a list of things that would supposedly prevent them from attracting girls (bald, short, beer-bellied, etc.) is. There's also the weird assumption there that American girls are all monolingual in English. There are surely many attractive American girls who speak the same language this guy does. He obviously means well but as someone to whom certain people time after time make the mistake of saying things ranging from ignorantly bigoted to flat-out maliciously racist because they assume I'm white rather than multiracial it gets on my last nerve, and your interviewee appears to hold a bias that makes him think whiteness is a qualification for ideal attractiveness.

Again he means well. I don't know what to say. I started out joking about it but now it's sorta making me panic.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

All right after a good twenty minutes of panicking I realized that I just let some pick-up artist I don't even know put me in fight-or-flight mode and that I should probably stick to threads about creating ponies from now on.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

purchase wrote:
All right after a good twenty minutes of panicking I realized that I just let some pick-up artist I don't even know put me in fight-or-flight mode and that I should probably stick to threads about creating ponies from now on.

Come over to the light side...

You don't need any chase as your name already contains it. :P

Ponies ftw