Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bonzo_dog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2006, 1:53 am

I first read about this only a few days ago:

------------------------------

The term love-shyness was used by psychologist Brian G. Gilmartin to describe a specific type of severe chronic shyness....

Gilmartin had seven criteria for each "love-shy" man he included in his study:

He is male.
He is a virgin.
He is a person who very rarely goes out socially with women.
He is a person without a past history of any emotionally close, meaningful relationships of a romantic and/or sexual nature with any member of the opposite sex.
He is a person who has suffered and is continuing to suffer emotionally because of a lack of meaningful female companionship. In short, he is a person who desperately wishes to have a relationship with a woman, but does not have one because of shyness.
He is a man who becomes extremely anxiety-ridden over so much as the mere thought of asserting himself vis-à-vis a woman in a casual, friendly way. This is the essence of "love-shyness".
He is a man who is strictly heterosexual in his romantic and erotic orientations. In other words, he is a person who is in no way a homosexual.

Gilmartin did not rule out the existence of female or homosexual love-shy people, but he doubted they would feel the same negative effects as heterosexual men, and suspected that the condition would manifest very differently in them....

Gilmartin noted that the 100 older love-shy men studied were experiencing well above average career instability. Even though almost all of these older love-shys had successfully completed higher education, their salaries were well below the US average. They were typically, if anything, underemployed and were working in jobs such as taxi driving, or in lower level clerical or telemarketing jobs. At the time of Gilmartin's research (1979-1982), 3.6% of college graduates in the USA were unemployed. The unemployment rate for the older love-shy men was 16%.

-------------------------------------

(The full article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love-shyness )

When I read this article, I saw that my own profile fit very closely, although not exactly, with it (and that in my opinion, it could easily have fit exactly if I had made just one or two random choices differently in my past.)

I also note a paragraph near the bottom:

Their impairment of functioning in social interactions bears some similarities to the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome or Semantic Pragmatic Language Disorder. For example, like people who have Asperger's syndrome, love-shy men often have a hard time developing peer relationships. In a March 6, 2004 letter by Gilmartin [1], he felt "as many as 40 percent of the cases of severely love-shy men would qualify for a diagnosis of 'Asperger's Syndrome'".

------------------------------------------

Does this ring a bell with anyone else here besides myself?

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2006, 4:27 am

Well, all of those symptoms can fall under Asperger's Syndrome, so if you are an aspie, there is a very good chance that you have that.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 6:30 am

non aspie partners of aspergers males always complain about having to initiate intimacy and having had to initiate the first moves in a lot of aspie/non aspie relationhips. it is an aspie thing, nit being able to read the cues and signals that nt's give off.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2006, 4:14 pm

donkey wrote:
it is an aspie thing, nit being able to read the cues and signals that nt's give off.

Yes it is, we have lots of trouble with body language, though you can learn it, sort of. I have acquired some of knowledge in the area from books and just generally observing people interacting closely. It's hard for us though, as it's easy to miss subtle clues and you need to be actively looking, and even then you can make mistakes. Plus even if you can spot the clues you need to be able to act on them, not so easy for us, especially if you have got it wrong before and been knocked back, the old self confidence can take a hit.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 5:41 pm

Aspergers Syndrome can have the same effects as love-shyness due to the social difficulties. So, someone with AS could be said to be love-shy but it is not simply love-shyness; it would just appear to be love-shyness.

Slapula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2006, 7:16 pm

Wow, that sounds like me.

Quote:
According to Gilmartin, the love-shy tended to prefer vocal love ballads, Broadway show music, brassy jazz music, easy listening, film soundtracks, and light classical works. A few of them mentioned having a strong liking for country and western. On the other hand, rock music of any kind tended to be strongly disliked by the love-shys.

Yup, that's me. 8)

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2006, 7:53 pm

donkey wrote:
non aspie partners of aspergers males always complain about having to initiate intimacy and having had to initiate the first moves in a lot of aspie/non aspie relationhips. it is an aspie thing, nit being able to read the cues and signals that nt's give off.

I really don't think thats the case in terms of aspies making moves, aspies want intimacy but they don't know how to establish intimacy with words, the can only 'know' the physical intimacy, they are not well versed in connecting with other people. Many of them have severe self-esteem issues and fear of judgement, fear of people, fear of expressing himself, because most likely the male aspie has been punished most of his life for expressing himself.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 8:33 pm

I only meet about half the criteria (heterosexual male, virgin, no prior relationships).

I don't think I have love-shyness.

In fact, since I tend to get along better with my female friends (and have more of that gender... which is going to change as soon as I return to NMT :( ), I strongly doubt that I have it.

I've tried to initiate a relationship recently, but it really didn't seem to work (she seems to like me, but not to the point of being interested in any sort of relationship)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 8:42 pm

I don't meet the criterion about being shy in approaching women. I just haven't had any success yet. :lol: I wonder why Wikipedia even includes this as an article. Usually articles like these have to be researched by more than one scientist and not just be one psychologist's pet theory.

selimsivad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2006, 10:35 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I don't meet the criterion about being shy in approaching women. I just haven't had any success yet. :lol: I wonder why Wikipedia even includes this as an article. Usually articles like these have to be researched by more than one scientist and not just be one psychologist's pet theory.

Ditto. The part about "typical" love-shy musical preferneces clued me in (is taste in music really influenced by some kind of psychological condition?). I'd like to see a lot more peer review before considering this as a valid phenomenon.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 11:14 pm

Quote:
According to Gilmartin, the love-shy tended to prefer vocal love ballads, Broadway show music, brassy jazz music, easy listening, film soundtracks, and light classical works. A few of them mentioned having a strong liking for country and western. On the other hand, rock music of any kind tended to be strongly disliked by the love-shys.

Simply put, love-shy men prefer anything with rich and beautiful melody; and they dislike anything which is noisy, loud, dissonant, or unmelodic. For most of the love-shys, melody appears to be the most important element in music.

Ok, I don't think much of this love-shy phenomenon but then again it's slightly worrying that so many of these people in the sample came up with features like these. I mean, this whole music thing describes what I like in music exactly. Does that mean that anyone who hears me listening to this sort of music might correctly be able to deduce that I am what this guy describes as love-shy??? Ack, I don't like the idea that my preference in music could give me away... now I'm going to be self-conscious about my music tastes. :oops:

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 11:19 pm

bonzo_dog wrote:
He is male.
He is a virgin.
He is a person who very rarely goes out socially with women.
He is a person without a past history of any emotionally close, meaningful relationships of a romantic and/or sexual nature with any member of the opposite sex.
He is a person who has suffered and is continuing to suffer emotionally because of a lack of meaningful female companionship. In short, he is a person who desperately wishes to have a relationship with a woman, but does not have one because of shyness.
He is a man who becomes extremely anxiety-ridden over so much as the mere thought of asserting himself vis-à-vis a woman in a casual, friendly way. This is the essence of "love-shyness".
He is a man who is strictly heterosexual in his romantic and erotic orientations. In other words, he is a person who is in no way a homosexual.

I meet every single one of those criteria. The biggest single issue I have is that I am afraid of rejection, and I have never flat-out asked a woman for a date. I've beat around the bush for the past three or so years, with lines like "would you like to meet up sometime?", hoping that will work. Men, if you know a woman to even a small extent, don't be afraid to take a risk. Of course nowadays we men have to worry about being accused of harassment and all that feminist stuff, but most women still like guys that take risks - it is only a minority that have ruined it.

Quote:
I wonder why Wikipedia even includes this as an article. Usually articles like these have to be researched by more than one scientist and not just be one psychologist's pet theory.

It's Wikipedia. :wink:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2006, 1:18 am

ELLCIM wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why Wikipedia even includes this as an article. Usually articles like these have to be researched by more than one scientist and not just be one psychologist's pet theory.

It's Wikipedia. :wink:

Well, it seems half the time I add a few things or create an article, some anal-retentive prick stops by and deletes it or posts a comment in discussion asking me for references or whether this is NPOV or original research or some other random Wikipedia policy I can't be bothered with looking up. Or they mutilate my eloquent prose to contain every possible inane point of view, making what was once concise extremely verbose and very counterintuitive for someone who wants to use Wikipedia as a d@mned encyclopedia!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2006, 1:26 am

I scored 136 on some questionnaire for love-shyness, which is apparently higher than even "self-confident non-shy men." For those of you who think Asperger's syndrome implies love-shyness, my score should put your conjecture to rest.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2006, 3:16 am

My thoughts,

Women probably can have pretty similar experiences. My thought is that it is also likely to be very horrible, though it might be horrible in a different way.

For Homosexual Men, I have a feeling that it would probably be very almost identical, with the added bonus of being marginalized. Even if they're "in the closet". I base this on that I talk to a lot of Gay Men on IM (Many of whom are not flirting with me and I only come onto them in a completely plutonic way).

They sound almost exactly like straight men, albiet Introverted ones (many would say that's not really male, but their opinions don't count. Ha! Take that Established Male Gender Roles!), save for that on occasion, the fact they're into other dudes slips into the conversation. So it stands to reason that they go through pretty similar experiences.

I also strongly doubt that if there is a uniquely "Male" way of dealing with not being in a relationship, that gay men will have the "Female" one. Gay men are not like women. Get it through your thick heads. Even most of the men that do wear womens clothing are straight.

Just thought I'd mention all that and open up a can of worms. (Maybe if I'm lucky I can flame some Homophobes :) )

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2006, 7:25 am

Hmm I didn't see anything about likening the situation of gay males with that of females. Where was this?