Very attractive girl says...All I had to do was wait...

Page 5 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
So I pretty much just dated all over the place, still havent found Mr Right. I feel really annoyed when someone says to me that I have an advantage because I am female.

Yes, you do have an advantage in getting dates because you're a female, especially if you're young, because males are the one expected to do the move, and the move requires social skills. This is a fact, you can keep denying it day and night, but it won't change :p. Even Kristen agrees with us on this one.

A lot of women do, but a lot don't, and they're the ones that can't admit their sex has ANY advantage. They somehow tie it with a victim stance, and it's like they assume you're blaming women for your troubles, but it's just the way it is. If you're the one expected to do the hunting and be outgoing and in control of the situation, and you have a disorder hugely known to impede social skills, well, of course it's going to be harder. You'd think it would register, but I guess not. I'm not saying dating is EASY for aspie women, but it's not as hard. I'd honestly like them to have to live as an aspie guy for about a month, and see what it's like to have to be the brave one for a change.

It's like saying it's just as traumatic for a man to lose their hair to chemo as it is a woman. Like hell it is. Or it's like saying walking through a strange neighborhood at one AM unarmed is every bit as dangerous for a guy as for a woman. I don't see how. But like I said, the ones who get it, get it. The rest will disagree no matter what the f**k you tell them.

First of all, what does all this hand-wringing about having it more difficult accomplish for males? How does it change anything? How does it improve your chances of getting dates? Does it make you feel better to 'know you have it worse'? Does it make you feel good when you feel like you've won an interwebs argument?

I sincerely don't get how this lamenting changes anything.

Also, am I the only guy here who feels it's an advantage being a male while dating? Yeah, I'm expected to pursue by cultural norms. I'd much prefer that than the cultural expectation for women to wait for Mr Right to ask them out. Then again, I'm a take-action sort of guy. Yeah, the AS makes it more difficult, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse. In fact, I embrace it (and have).

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

AsteroidNap wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
So I pretty much just dated all over the place, still havent found Mr Right. I feel really annoyed when someone says to me that I have an advantage because I am female.

Yes, you do have an advantage in getting dates because you're a female, especially if you're young, because males are the one expected to do the move, and the move requires social skills. This is a fact, you can keep denying it day and night, but it won't change :p. Even Kristen agrees with us on this one.

A lot of women do, but a lot don't, and they're the ones that can't admit their sex has ANY advantage. They somehow tie it with a victim stance, and it's like they assume you're blaming women for your troubles, but it's just the way it is. If you're the one expected to do the hunting and be outgoing and in control of the situation, and you have a disorder hugely known to impede social skills, well, of course it's going to be harder. You'd think it would register, but I guess not. I'm not saying dating is EASY for aspie women, but it's not as hard. I'd honestly like them to have to live as an aspie guy for about a month, and see what it's like to have to be the brave one for a change.

It's like saying it's just as traumatic for a man to lose their hair to chemo as it is a woman. Like hell it is. Or it's like saying walking through a strange neighborhood at one AM unarmed is every bit as dangerous for a guy as for a woman. I don't see how. But like I said, the ones who get it, get it. The rest will disagree no matter what the f**k you tell them.

First of all, what does all this hand-wringing about having it more difficult accomplish for males? How does it change anything? How does it improve your chances of getting dates? Does it make you feel better to 'know you have it worse'? Does it make you feel good when you feel like you've won an interwebs argument?

Also, am I the only guy here who feels it's an advantage being a male while dating? Yeah, I'm expected to pursue by cultural norms. I'd much prefer that than the cultural expectation for women to wait for Mr Right to ask them out. Then again, I'm a take-action sort of guy. Yeah, the AS makes it more difficult, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse. In fact, I embrace it (and have).

Agree with all this. I can talk about the challenges we face till the cows come home, the reality is, when looking at life and people objectively, everybody faces their own challenges, both individual and gender-based. I like to talk about it because it entertains me, but I try not to bemoan my lack of dating, as there are reasons that are within my control, so I'm just whining about stuff I can fix :lol:

Let us scale down the generalizations a little....

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

I'm a guy, and all I've ever had to do was wait. Admitedly, I've gone for years at a time without dating, but then I never really had a problem with that.

I think the bookish, shy sterotype works in my favor. I dunno. I just try to seem approchable by smiling at people when they talk to me but not creepy by not looking at or facing toward them when they aren't talking. I also managed to learn how to talk myself up without bragging or going into too much detail.

Women always ask you out when you aren't looking for it and least suspect it. I wouldn't even begin to know when to approch them if I had to do it. Totally counter intuitive.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

mv wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
^ I also think it's in ignorance of the fact that for the women in the majority, IE, overweight, the single mom with kids, has acne, etc,
it's the *women* who have to do the pursuing. It's always said the men whining about jerks getting all the women are paying attention to the wrong men, but I think they're paying attention to a tiny fraction of women, as well.

If their looks are sub par, they'll have to do more pursuing. But don't tell me an attractive single mother doesn't have pursuers. They don't carry a sign that says, "I have kids." Even if they do, it doesn't totally deter someone who's drawn to them.

Regarding CaptainTrips222's bolded part:

I don't have "pursuers". There are people who find me attractive (and let me know it), but that's not exactly "pursuit". I have to do the pursuing, most of the time. I could just live in a conservative place, though, where people are more reserved (Northeast US).

Of course, "attractive" is entirely relative, too.

This.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

K-R-X wrote:
I'm a guy, and all I've ever had to do was wait. Admitedly, I've gone for years at a time without dating, but then I never really had a problem with that.

I think the bookish, shy sterotype works in my favor. I dunno. I just try to seem approchable by smiling at people when they talk to me but not creepy by not looking at or facing toward them when they aren't talking. I also managed to learn how to talk myself up without bragging or going into too much detail.

Women always ask you out when you aren't looking for it and least suspect it. I wouldn't even begin to know when to approch them if I had to do it. Totally counter intuitive.

Noooo, dont write that! You will prove that both genders are equal, and in Love and Dating that is a major error. Everyone knows that women have it better, they are born with a bag of gold coins which grows bigger with each year. When women reach the age of 15, all they have to do is sit on a chaise lounge and eat grapes and wait while all the suitors line up outside the door, then they have to choose, and let their father beat up the hapless men who dont make the grade.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Ok, well you can write that. : )

It just makes me feel like I have been slapped in the face everytime I read or hear "how good women have it" and how we are "the privileged gender who sit around."

Taking a break.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

K-R-X wrote:

Not true at all, that's just your own experience.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

Lol. I could understand that. The grass is always greener, and most of the people here are guys.

I won't argue though that I see a lot less complaining from men who marry ASDs than women who do. Those who prefer men seem to be a bit more accepted once they do find a mate. Luckies.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
K-R-X wrote:

If its my experience, then wouldn't it be true?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I dont know about where you guys live, but in New Zealand, formal dating has been only happening over the last 15 years, and even in these cases it doesnt happen that often.

Most people just meet through friends or at work or at a party or university and then just end up together by some sort of osmotic process, ie too many glasses of wine, a plan made to see a movie, or just bumping into said person somewhere.

So I dont really understand all this dating stuff, and I have never had men initiate on me. In fact New Zealand men are very reserved, and I end up having to initiate things a lot of the time.

So I dont really understand why men are always going on about hating having to initiate etc, it is not something I have ever had experience of, and even when I was living in England and Ireland I never experienced this formal dating thing where the man asks you out etc.

There are two types of dating I guess.

The first, is the Hollywoodely dating type, where a guy asks out a girl that he knew recently. It happens in movies more often than reality, but it does happen, I've seen it. X visually likes Y, Y visually likes him back, X asks Y out, Y agrees.

The second dating happens in a such scenario : http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt173647.html. X and Y already knows each others very well, they passed a lot of time together in grouping setting. Typically X develops a crush for Y and vice versa, they're friends but both want more than that, X man-up and asks Y out for a non-group setting outing = a date....

So at a *certain point*, someone has to make a move, otherwise nothing will be changed.

So first dating type is a process to make 2 people know each others and know if they're compatible, so they answer to this question "are we compatible to each others?" , further dates would answer " is there any potential to love each others?"

The second dating type doesn't answer to question, because when it happens it has already answered a lot of questions, they both probably have already realized they're almost compatible, they both have realized that they like each others. So dating in this case is a type of rituals that says "We are becoming a couple".

The first type is more robotic, meaning that if it fails, both parties usually move on to the next date.

The second type has more attachment involved, if it fails, one of the parties would be seriously heartbroken, almost the same effect of breaking up.

Now back to the male vs female debate, in both scenarios, it's the male who is socially expected to be X and initiates the first move .

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

K-R-X wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
K-R-X wrote:

If its my experience, then wouldn't it be true?

It's true, but not universally true.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
I dont know about where you guys live, but in New Zealand, formal dating has been only happening over the last 15 years, and even in these cases it doesnt happen that often.

Most people just meet through friends or at work or at a party or university and then just end up together by some sort of osmotic process, ie too many glasses of wine, a plan made to see a movie, or just bumping into said person somewhere.

So I dont really understand all this dating stuff, and I have never had men initiate on me. In fact New Zealand men are very reserved, and I end up having to initiate things a lot of the time.

So I dont really understand why men are always going on about hating having to initiate etc, it is not something I have ever had experience of, and even when I was living in England and Ireland I never experienced this formal dating thing where the man asks you out etc.

There are two types of dating I guess.

The first, is the Hollywoodely dating type, where a guy asks out a girl that he knew recently. It happens in movies more often than reality, but it does happen, I've seen it. X visually likes Y, Y visually likes him back, X asks Y out, Y agrees.

The second dating happens in a such scenario : http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt173647.html. X and Y already knows each others very well, they passed a lot of time together in grouping setting. Typically X develops a crush for Y and vice versa, they're friends but both want more than that, X man-up and asks Y out for a non-group setting outing = a date....

So at a *certain point*, someone has to make a move, otherwise nothing will be changed.

So first dating type is a process to make 2 people know each others and know if they're compatible, so they answer to this question "are we compatible to each others?" , further dates would answer " is there any potential to love each others?"

The second dating type doesn't answer to question, because when it happens it has already answered a lot of questions, they both probably have already realized they're almost compatible, they both have realized that they like each others. So dating in this case is a type of rituals that says "We are becoming a couple".

The first type is more robotic, meaning that if it fails, both parties usually move on to the next date.

The second type has more attachment involved, if it fails, one of the parties would be seriously heartbroken, almost the same effect of breaking up.

Now back to the male vs female debate, in both scenarios, it's the male who is socially expected to be X and initiates the first move .

Not true at all in New Zealand. In fact things are done *very* casually here, with a beer or wine, a couch with dvds, meeting in someones backyard, or chatting to the friend of a friend while waiting for the takeaway food to cook, or perhaps at breakfast after a night out.

Taking a break.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Huh, what planet is that New Zealand?

So a "Break-even" doesn't exist there? No moment of truth? No a 'confession moment' has to be made?

So guys and girls in NZ wake up the next morning and find themselves having bfs/gfs after a casual BBQ or dvd night? You do realize that I was talking about casual social event in the second scenario before something more serious has to occur (X asks Y out or X tells Y he likes her--> the Break-even moment), no?

hmmm....

**Boo in NZ waking up at the morning and find a naked girl sleeping at his chest**

Her: Good morning.
Me: um? ....what's your name again?
Her: I am Liz , your friend's friend and now your gf? we've been drinking beer and watching dvds last night
Me: Aha, yea....I recall you now.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 4:49 pm

Apparently this thread aged fast.

My thought: every long-term single on here has their own battery of problems and their own amount of mileage that any bit of advise could give them. There's be no way for it not to have some annoying aspects even if it were one of the most world-renowned relationship coaches volunteering their time.

I kinda cringed when I first started seeing these headers because I wondered if Kristin really had an idea of what she was in for but... I suppose its a little late for that now.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 6:39 pm

AsteroidNap wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

It clearly doesn't. I even wondered the same thing myself when I'd post in Love in Dating. Seeing the disgusted sentiment from both sides, and neither side refusing to have an understanding, I've since learned to stay away from that topic. Like I said, the ones who get it do, the ones who don't never will. I guess just seeing what Kirsten wrote prompted me to give my two cents, which of course would be criticized like hell.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 8:03 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Huh, what planet is that New Zealand?

So a "Break-even" doesn't exist there? No moment of truth? No a 'confession moment' has to be made?

So guys and girls in NZ wake up the next morning and find themselves having bfs/gfs after a casual BBQ or dvd night? You do realize that I was talking about casual social event in the second scenario before something more serious has to occur (X asks Y out or X tells Y he likes her--> the Break-even moment), no?

hmmm....

**Boo in NZ waking up at the morning and find a naked girl sleeping at his chest**

Her: Good morning.
Me: um? ....what's your name again?
Her: I am Liz , your friend's friend and now your gf? we've been drinking beer and watching dvds last night
Me: Aha, yea....I recall you now.

Yes. That is sort of what happens, or variations of. I once ended up with a boyfriend because I was drunk at a pub crawl at uni and sat on the lap of a cute guy in my science class.

An example: when I was in high school there was no "dating" as such. What would happen is that a guy would approach the girl he liked and he would say "Do you want to go out with me?" and if the girl said yes, they would be instantly boyfriend and girlfriend.

No dates needed. They wouldnt actually go "out" anywhere, it was just an expression. Though they might go to the movies or whatever but that would be just to see a movie, not a date as you are already an item.

I remember I used to see American movies where they went on dates and that seemed kind of odd to me because that is not what happened when I was growing up. It seemed really formal...

There is dating in New Zealand now though. I dont really like the whole dating thing myself, it is really awkward, it is much better to just meet a lot of people and then just start seeing somebody.

Taking a break.