NT-ish woman, totally taken with Aspie guy...

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

... and totally lost. Obviously, flirtation is NOT working. I flirt and I flirt and I desperately flirt, and he just keeps coming back with science and biology. If he was an NT guy I'd just assume he was taken or not interested, but in this case ????? I don't know how to gauge his interest, which would normally be the first step in moving forward (or not). Normally, people acknowledge their interest in one another without stating it outright. This way, they can get to know each other without feeling as if there's an unwritten contract binding them. But in the AS world, it seems as if things must be made overt in order to be understood.

I don't think I can do that. For one thing, NTs approach eachother slyly so that if we are rejected, the rejection is also sly. That way we can all pretend it never happened, and keep our egos in tact. Second: he works in a public place that I frequently attend with my small daughter. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, since my daughter and I will continue to be present at the place where he works. I also scoped this forum for a couple of weeks before posting this and I'm fairly sure he isn't here. I'd hate to impose on someone's private interspace.

If you're wondering how I know he's an Aspie, let's just say... I know. Russian astronauts can probably see it from space. I have experience in this realm, it just isn't romantic experience. He works, he drives, he lives with his parents. This is all the info I have to go on, but I don't know how significant it is. I'm so lost.

Just to be clear, since there's such a broad range in the AS world: I knew he was an Aspie within .05 seconds of first meeting him. There are many people in my family and extended family who are in he autism spectrum. If you're wondering why I don't just ask them for advice, the answer is: they are all either too young or too anti-social to understand romantic relationships. I worry that this might also be the case with this guy, but how do I know? And how do I express interest without either making him horribly uncomfortable, or perhaps making him him think that I want a relationship, without first having a "getting to know you" phase?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:18 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
... and totally lost. Obviously, flirtation is NOT working. I flirt and I flirt and I desperately flirt, and he just keeps coming back with science and biology. If he was an NT guy I'd just assume he was taken or not interested, but in this case ????? I don't know how to gauge his interest, which would normally be the first step in moving forward (or not). Normally, people acknowledge their interest in one another without stating it outright. This way, they can get to know each other without feeling as if there's an unwritten contract binding them. But in the AS world, it seems as if things must be made overt in order to be understood.

I don't think I can do that. For one thing, NTs approach eachother slyly so that if we are rejected, the rejection is also sly. That way we can all pretend it never happened, and keep our egos in tact. Second: he works in a public place that I frequently attend with my small daughter. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, since my daughter and I will continue to be present at the place where he works. I also scoped this forum for a couple of weeks before posting this and I'm fairly sure he isn't here. I'd hate to impose on someone's private interspace.

If you're wondering how I know he's an Aspie, let's just say... I know. Russian astronauts can probably see it from space. I have experience in this realm, it just isn't romantic experience. He works, he drives, he lives with his parents. This is all the info I have to go on, but I don't know how significant it is. I'm so lost.

Just to be clear, since there's such a broad range in the AS world: I knew he was an Aspie within .05 seconds of first meeting him. There are many people in my family and extended family who are in he autism spectrum. If you're wondering why I don't just ask them for advice, the answer is: they are all either too young or too anti-social to understand romantic relationships. I worry that this might also be the case with this guy, but how do I know? And how do I express interest without either making him horribly uncomfortable, or perhaps making him him think that I want a relationship, without first having a "getting to know you" phase?

How should I put it?

Mature females flirting me didn't work in my past adulthood life because of the following reasons in scenarios with different Nts women. One time, the woman was flirting with me, and I understood it but was socially (family issues) and financially wasn't ready for a relationship talk. The second moment, a female was flirting with me but she was with a friend of her, so therefore I interpreted this as false flirting and ignored her. Another woman was approaching me and apparently wanted to start a conversation in probably in hope to be ask for a name and phone number but wasn't socially and financially ready to proceed.

Therefore, my opinion is that he is not ready socially or/both financially. I have nothing against bookworm or those who are in-dept knowledge of biology and science, but he think more about biology and science than girls. On the other hand, Asperger and autistic people are known to be socially delayed and talks the interest than the universal interests that should connect you and him. I have that same issue before I got socially advance.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:26 pm

Are you into science and biology to? Well then you should engage him with his subject of interest as a start. But with us aspies, you gotta kinda make it very obvious, blatantly obvious. And if that doesnt work, say it. I know its hard to just come out but if you ever wanna get a responce from this guy, that might be the only way he'll "get it".

Im not a guy, Im a girl. But there have been guys who have shown blatant signs of interest such as paying for my food and trying to talk to me a lot but for some reason I thought they just wanted to be my friend. It was only recently I put together what types of signs to look out so I know now. And I also know how to flirt now.

And the other thing, perhaps he's just very awkward and a bit shy. He may second guess that you really like him. Perhaps he might think your just being friendly. Cause he might not get that much attention.

Theres been times when I've kinda thought a guy might be hitting on me but I wasnt sure. Im used to it so I would second guess myself a lot. My point, with dating, we're slow.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

Thank you for your quick response! You mentioned finances twice. I don't know how old you are, but to be clear about myself, I'm in my late twenties and I'm fully capable of supporting myself. I'm not looking for a man to support me

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:36 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
Thank you for your quick response! You mentioned finances twice. I don't know how old you are, but to be clear about myself, I'm in my late twenties and I'm fully capable of supporting myself. I'm not looking for a man to support me

I am not accusing you at all but be in my shoes for change and see how I felt. No offense to equality of women, but my general culture tells me otherwise. However, there is an exception such as being at your house, and you were cooking.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

Ai Ling, I am a herpetologist so we don't just share an interest, we share a passion. I feel like that in and if itself might be disclosing too much. I was intrigued with him before I knew anything about his interests, based on 'chemistry,' which seems to be a dubious idea in the AS world. It's very real, though. The way he smells is just... indescribable

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
Ai Ling, I am a herpetologist so we don't just share an interest, we share a passion. I feel like that in and if itself might be disclosing too much. I was intrigued with him before I knew anything about his interests, based on 'chemistry,' which seems to be a dubious idea in the AS world. It's very real, though. The way he smells is just... indescribable

What about the smell? Bad or good?

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

Bopkasen, I don't know you so I can't make assumptions about your culture of origin. I am American, and I am not interested in searching for man to care for me in that way.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
Bopkasen, I don't know you so I can't make assumptions about your culture of origin. I am American, and I am not interested in searching for man to care for me in that way.

So, you basically want him to be your partner and take care of the billing instead? Oh well, ask him out instead.

Again, I am not criticizing you.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:49 pm

GOOD!! ! beyond good.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Wait, what... the BILLING???! I don't even know what this means. I don't want a business associate. I want a friend/ romantic partner who doesn't feel obliged to care fir me simply because I'm female. Plenty of females are perfectly capable of caring for themselves, but still long for love relationships.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

Fullofstars wrote:

So you feel like there is chemistry between you guys. Im guessing within all the nerdy bio talks? Been there with a guy whos kinda aspieish. Like I said, you gotta start making this more and more obvious. And you are sure this guys aspie? We aspies find it very hard to navigate the dating world.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
Wait, what... the BILLING???! I don't even know what this means. I don't want a business associate. I want a friend/ romantic partner who doesn't feel obliged to care fir me simply because I'm female. Plenty of females are perfectly capable of caring for themselves, but still long for love relationships.

Everyone pays bill, electric, internet, cellphone, etc. It isn't business science.

If money was no object, then, you should tell him that? Tell him it is on you, go to XYZ restaurant at a time and place. See you there!

I am sure he might think twice about talking interests if you lead him.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm

I knew he was aspie before I knew anything else about him. He sort of closed in on my personal space and starting droning on in a monotone about things I already knew. He didn't seem to care that I already knew these things. He had a monologue that he was comfortable with, and this would be impossible to not recognize IMMEDIATELY for any
NT PERSON. In fact, most NT people not familiar with AS would probably assume he was mentally ret*d.

Last edited by Fullofstars on 28 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fullofstars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

Bopkasen, I still don't understand what money has to do with this. Yes, we all pay bills. What does that have to do with a guy I just met? I don't want him to pay my bills. I pay my own bills, thank you very much.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

Fullofstars wrote:
I knew he was aspie before I knew anything else about him. He sort of closed in on my personal space and starting droning on in a monotone about things I already knew. He did care that I already knew these things. He had a monologue that he was comfortable with, and thus would be impossible to not recognize IMMEDIATELY for any
NT PERSON. In fact, most NT people not familiar with AS would probably assume he was mentally ret*d.

I remember there were couple of moment of comments relating to me living with my mother that I interpret as that I was a mental delayed, dependent child while as an adult. That has all change the moment that I got money and move out.

I told people that I am living alone in a town home not because I want to spread information but a way to declare that I am not a dependent or "mental delayed" and can take care of myself just fine. After few months of living, my social feeling for wanting relationship have improved.

Last edited by Bopkasen on 28 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.