An NT seeking advice to get through to an aspie.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sedjat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2011, 9:29 pm

Be careful with having a friend act as a go between. If someone told me someone else liked me, my first reaction would be to wonder why the guy didn't tell me to my face and I'd be a bit skeptical about the guys' intentions. Just make sure that the friend is someone that the girl trusts and warn the person to be very direct and this approach might work.

statschica
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

I think that approach is very shady and manipulative and easier to backfire. It seems his tactic is more concerned with saving face than expressing your devotion which you say you have. If you really did then your saving face wouldn't even be an issue, therefore I think if she is a good person her reaction should be one of skepticism if not complete distrust by that approach.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 11:15 pm

The only reason I got together with my former wife is because she grabbed and kissed me, then I understood that she liked me. I don't know if it's a good idea for a man to try that with a lady he likes though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm

Kataquan wrote:
So I have been friends with this girl at my highschool for a while now. She is really intriguing to me. She is kind of an outsider like me, and a bit on the quirky side. We have been hanging out just about every other day now. I wanted to progress the relationship, hinting to her, teasing her and stuff. I tried my best to show her that i was interested, untill I finally asked her to the homecoming dance. Her reaction was... odd to say the least. She didn't seem to understand. Her immediate reaction, after I said I already bought tickets, was "My dad would kill me if I made you buy me tickets." The next day she acted as if nothing ever happend, I don't even think she realized that I was asking her out. Weeks past, and I we were still hangin around eachother, and she tells me she has Aspergers' syndrome. I was somewhat familiar with it after writing a research paper on Autism ahile back. It started to male sense. She wouldn't look at me when she talked to, and I thought this was just a lack of confidence, and she talked a lot about japanese history, If i mentioned something similar.
So now I would like to ask, If Subtle hints and body language don't work, how do I get through to her Aspie brain that I like her more than a friend?

You need to be direct. At least you did ask her to the homecoming dance which was very direct. You need to tell her you like her more than a friend and tell her what you want like if you want her to be your girlfriend, tell her you want her to be.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:16 am

If a friend told me that some third party (a woman) liked me, I would confirm it with the woman directly. I've had people tell me that women (whom I'd known for 10 minutes) like me, and I refused to believe them!

Which is why I don't think the friend as a go-between is a good idea, with either a NT or an Aspie. You'll just have to risk the rejection and ask her out even more directly than you have already - "Do you want to go to the homecoming dance?"

AQ: 33

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:40 am

Kataquan wrote:
statschica wrote:
My experience indicates that hinting in past could be confused for joking with me which would not be a good start. Also, why would someone want to be with a man who hasn't the balls, self respect, or belief in the relationship to ask directly.

I did ask her to homecoming, remember? Is that not asking directly?

She may have thought that you were joking the first time.
Man up and tell her that you´d really like to go to homecoming with her and that you are being completely serious.

I know this is hard considering that it could be seen as she tried to blow you off the first time but otherwise you are going to spend several years wondering what would she have said if you had made it clear that you werent joking at all.

Trust me on this one.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2011, 3:49 am

Kataquan wrote:
So I have been friends with this girl at my highschool for a while now. She is really intriguing to me. She is kind of an outsider like me, and a bit on the quirky side. We have been hanging out just about every other day now. I wanted to progress the relationship, hinting to her, teasing her and stuff. I tried my best to show her that i was interested, untill I finally asked her to the homecoming dance. Her reaction was... odd to say the least. She didn't seem to understand. Her immediate reaction, after I said I already bought tickets, was "My dad would kill me if I made you buy me tickets." The next day she acted as if nothing ever happend, I don't even think she realized that I was asking her out. Weeks past, and I we were still hangin around eachother, and she tells me she has Aspergers' syndrome. I was somewhat familiar with it after writing a research paper on Autism ahile back. It started to male sense. She wouldn't look at me when she talked to, and I thought this was just a lack of confidence, and she talked a lot about japanese history, If i mentioned something similar.
So now I would like to ask, If Subtle hints and body language don't work, how do I get through to her Aspie brain that I like her more than a friend?
SUBTLE is the opposite of what you should do, i think.

how about.. you send her a note saying 'i like you.'

its still not 100% definite, but i think she'll be able to pick up the heavy suggestion so she'll realize you mean 'i like you, and i want to be MORE than friends'.

be sure to smile a LOT when you look at her. that will help a lot too. the first time you see her every day you should give her a HUGE SMILE every time you see her.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 4:56 am

Katequan, you said that you had asked her to Homecoming, and wasn't that direct enough. (sorry, I'm not a fan of long quotes). As others have pointed out, no, it's not direct enough.

I understand that Homecoming is a big deal in the U.S. but having asked her to go with you is surely merely a stepping stone (you hope) on the way to something else/more. That is why it is not direct enough. Tell her that you are interested in a relationship, but please do that only if that's what you actually want. You like her now because she seems quirky but she isn't quirky, she is how she is. What you call quirkiness will not necessarily change and may even become more pronounced. I guess what I'm saying is, make sure that you are sure, as it were. As you will have seen from this forum, relationships can be more difficult for Aspies and many go through a lot of rejection, more so I reckon than NTs.

Kataquan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

Hello guys, thanks for posting responses to my questions, and I'd just like to tell you that I did talk to her straight up and made my intentions 100% clear. It seemed to come out of left fieled to her, even though I had spent months giving her not too subtle hints that I liked her (I wased teased by classmates about liking her, even the teacher asked me if we were going out.) In the end she said no, though. :(

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

Sorry pal, that's too bad. But good for you for having been up front with her and for having spoken to her about your intentions. That's the way to do it and sometimes even works on NTs!

A bit further down the line, once it's no longer painful/awkward for you and if you still like her personality then be her friend. Not as a consolation prize (for either of you) but because you like her and if she has told you that she is interested in friendship. I don't know what teenage etiquette in the U.S. is like, in other words whether non romantic friendships between the sexes is something that people are interested in.

If you do go for a friendship just be totally open about everything. Explain what you would like to do (go for a walk, or go and see a film, but not as a date and without secretly hoping it turns into one) and why. Strictly hands off. Get her agreement for everything before you plan stuff, even if it's just going to a burger bar. I'd say, no surprises of any kind unless she tells you she's ok with surprises. Perhaps you get the drift.

Siegfried432
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2011, 11:58 pm

Kataquan wrote:
Hello guys, thanks for posting responses to my questions, and I'd just like to tell you that I did talk to her straight up and made my intentions 100% clear. It seemed to come out of left fieled to her, even though I had spent months giving her not too subtle hints that I liked her (I wased teased by classmates about liking her, even the teacher asked me if we were going out.) In the end she said no, though. :(

awww, dude, that sucks, i was reading through the different response to your problem and was gonna say the same thing basically... be blunt as a sledgehammer, that's the only way to get to one with Asperger's. Trust me i never get the subtle hints. i rahter people just tell me straight up, but HEY if you ever find another girl you like that happens to be an Aspie, you'll know what to do, ya?