Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
You work hard in America, you are well respected and usually more attractive as a result. You leave the office
late, DRIVE down to a bar, sober and find a nice girl.
I can tell from this that you've never been here.

From what you're saying though about Britain it sounds like the same types of NT's who are successful over here are successful over there and the 'responsible' types either find another much more old fashion venue, have a rare moment of luck at a bar where quality meets opportunity, or go on single, but in most cases it sounds like outcome is roughly identical. IMO you're not seeing the failings of the 'British' system so much as the tendencies of the human primate all across the board.

The truth is that there are more chavs and rudeboys over here then the States. If they had to live in the US, their high status would be brought down a peg or two. They woundn't have the money to spend on fags and booze. They would find it hard to get home from the boozer with 4 lane interstate freeway in between. And no rude boy would have an harem of women in council
apartments supported by state.

I leave it up you to imagination what kind of people would do well living in the states..

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:00 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
The truth is that there are more chavs and rudeboys over here then the States. If they had to live in the US, their high status would be brought down a peg or two. They woundn't have the money to spend on fags and booze. They would find it hard to get home from the boozer with 4 lane interstate freeway in between. And no rude boy would have an harem of women in council
apartments supported by state.

I leave it up you to imagination what kind of people would do well living in the states..

Lol, I'm not lost on the chav problem. The problem here though is still, if you're hoping that America is this nice clean environment where being successful in business exceeds macho or social charisma any day of the week - there are a lot of other Americans here who can verify that its not true. If you're not a bag of laughs you're in trouble. If you're not a paragon of social conformity who knows exactly what to do, say, or think, the right posture, etc. you're in trouble. If you have those things, even if you don't have money or much success, you may not have great long term relationships and you may be penning more child support checks than counting great relationships you had but you will be the guy who women are up for slumming with and a good guy trying to go to a bar and meet women is completely out of his element over here as well. Being an aspie here is being an aspie there or anywhere else it seems, we lack the social protocol and ability and from that we typically find out just how much social skills matter and just how much it strikes a nerve with the opposite sex (these days male or female for that matter) when you don't have them or don't have your life history lived along the prescribed narrative. The one benefit of one person going anywhere else is that they're exotic meat - whether that's a Brit coming to the US or an American going to the UK, it can give you some mileage - maybe not tons but some.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 1:57 pm

During my three months in Redruth, I found the village charming, and the drinking shocking, but I soon adapted. Every weekend night an ambulance sits outside The Rose Cottage (The Rottage as we called it) ready for alcohol overdoses and stitching up people after fights. 18 is the drinking age, but I swear they let Harry Potter looking 15 year olds drink.

No one ever bothered me, but they could tell I was an American from about 6 blocks away. I had a great time there. I miss the Trefusis Arms...

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 1:32 am

You should go to Croydon my home town, call it the up and coming North Korea.
At the weekend, there is always and ambulance in street and a NHS drop in centre
next to the bars and night clubs. It a good thing that health insurance is shared or
else being an alcoholic could get expensive.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:16 am

I'm seeing the makings of a "reality" TV show.

For both men and women, aspie or not.

I got alot of attention when I visited Ireland ( I know its not the UK but still) just because I talked open and honestly.
I say what I mean, I'm not easily embarassed.

It might be a matter of how and when but for the most part it seems like theres 100's of possibilities.

Just make sure we don't have idiots like the ones on "Jersey Shore" involved ! !!

I'm not sure how or why but it seems to me that american women have a thing for an accent.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:13 am

I've repeatedly entered this thread with the intention of posting, but for some reason I've hedged. Still not sure why.

First of all, I'm sort of an Anglophile. I adore many things British. I've been to the country twice, and hope to return soon for a visit up north. I maintain several friendships with residents from various parts of the country.

I remember this charming, sharp-witted Welsh girl whom I had the pleasure of traveling with for a week across Europe. We had corresponded a few times via mail (yep, hand written no less), and when we finally met during the orientation for the group tour we were partaking in, it was instant, mutual attraction. In fact, it was so strong that I think I could have overcome the AS hurdles, but I also lacked experience in such matters, so who knows. The real issue, however, were the other British blokes tagging along on the group trip. We couldn't shake them. We'd try to steal a moment at the stern of the ferry across the channel, and sure enough here comes the blokes, wondering where we'd gone off to. :roll:

Train rides, hotels...always the same interruptions, distractions. It became an inside joke between us, lol, which became all the more funny because of her sharp wit.

It remains to this day one of my greatest regrets that I let that relationship dissolve. But it also will be a memory that I carry to my grave. That cute Welsh girl with the sharp wit.

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2011, 3:36 am

Sounds like an interaction of convenience, that was mutually rewarding.

Every tour bus needs a cute welsh girl to flirt with.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:44 am

SoftlyStepping wrote:
Sounds like an interaction of convenience, that was mutually rewarding.

Every tour bus needs a cute welsh girl to flirt with.

It was a bit more than convenience. I'd say planned via our preceding letters.

But yes, I agree with your sentiment.