Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

Everyone has their category or list of what they want in a male or female partner.
It's all "Are they this?", "Are they that?" and something that isn't on their list simply will not do.
Gone are the days of just plain old fashioned courting...
The way of thinking is now to go off with the norm and not have the hassle of looking after someone else.
Note how they say they are taken and they get with the next person in the queue.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

That's the way it has been ever since mankind appeared on the face of this earth. There are lists and categories, and people consciously or subconsciously divide others into categories. My categories for selecting a potential partner are mostly cultural - people who act posh while simply living in the suburbs are people I avoid like the plague, and I find people who like any kind of ghetto culture completely appalling.

I suppose easier and wider methods of communication mean fewer people will have to settle for something local, but beneath their level.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 12:31 pm

<----- Wears baggy pants, drinks 40's in the street, does drive-by's with his homies, neglects his kids, thinks his welfare check needs to be bigger, and wonders why the police stress him every day.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

That's not what I've seen. From what I've seen, people tend to just do the best they can with whoever's around.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Everyone has their category or list of what they want in a male or female partner.
It's all "Are they this?", "Are they that?" and something that isn't on their list simply will not do.
Gone are the days of just plain old fashioned courting...
The way of thinking is now to go off with the norm and not have the hassle of looking after someone else.
Note how they say they are taken and they get with the next person in the queue.

The days of plain old fashioned courting may be gone. But as His Divine Majesty points out, those days also include people putting each other in categories. If you go back not too many decades, those categories were mandatory and people were not allowed socially (perhaps even legally) to court outside of their own race and class categories. If anything, the categorization has loosened up since now it can be more individualized.

What has changed is that now the categories are little boxes that people tick off on an internet dating site. Back in my day, those categories still existed and existed very strongly, but there was no internet so people just kept the mental list inside their heads and simply ignored anybody who didn't fit it. Some people used personal ads. Those personal ads only allowed a few lines of type (unlike todays looooooong profile pages) so they were nothing but a list of categories.