How do you feel about make-up?

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:19 am

The-Raven wrote:
post a photo of a 42 year old woman you know who does not wear make up and we will see if she looks younger than the 42 year old J-Lo.

Scientists say that make up ages skin and certain ingredients can cause premature aging, I don't think it is healthy to not allow the skin any oxygen. It isn't as bad as smoking, drugs or exposure to the sun but it could be a factor, I think genetics are also a factor. I don't think make up is harmful if it is organic or applied moderately, I'm talking about people who apply it excessively.

If you look at men who appeared in glam metal bands and wore excessive amounts of make up and took excessive amounts drugs or alcohol, you will notice they have aged and look older than they are. If you look at an actor like Keanu Reeves, you can definitely see he looks younger and he is 47.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:15 am

Keanu Reeves is one of the most down-to-earth actors in the entire world, I really like him.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:49 am

I like to wear it when I go out, to make a mask between me and the world, it's safer. But only generally on my eyes, because I think it's fun.
Day-to-day no make-up really or hair products. Just moisturiser because it's smells nice and makes my skin feel smooth.
I hate how women and men judge others for wearing it - so what if they need it to feel good about themselves? it's not hurting anyone else.
It's just as bad as being ridiculed for not wearing it - the double standard is so irritating.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:34 am

I think a small amount looks nice.

I never wear it unless I make a video or go out somewhere special. (aka: never)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:04 am

Wolfheart wrote:
The-Raven wrote:
post a photo of a 42 year old woman you know who does not wear make up and we will see if she looks younger than the 42 year old J-Lo.

Scientists say that make up ages skin and certain ingredients can cause premature aging, I don't think it is healthy to not allow the skin any oxygen. It isn't as bad as smoking, drugs or exposure to the sun but it could be a factor, I think genetics are also a factor. I don't think make up is harmful if it is organic or applied moderately, I'm talking about people who apply it excessively.

If you look at men who appeared in glam metal bands and wore excessive amounts of make up and took excessive amounts drugs or alcohol, you will notice they have aged and look older than they are. If you look at an actor like Keanu Reeves, you can definitely see he looks younger and he is 47.

[img]http://laslice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Keanu_Reeves_attends_6ece.jpg[/img

can you link to sources that it causes premature aging? because i just did a quick search and found nothing of the sort. if women mishandle their skin or allow it to dry out, it will look older or more wrinkled. but women can hurt their skin without the use of makeup.

i think you have an unreasonable idea of what a 42-year old woman is supposed to look like. women in real life look a lot like J.Lo at that age, except that they probably would be wearing makeup in public (most women in Western society of that age wear it, so maybe you haven't seen that 42 year-old women generally have wrinkles and other indicators of age when the makeup is off).

Keanu Reeves happens to look young for his age, so he is not a good example - most men don't wear makeup but they don't look like him.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:51 am

hyperlexian wrote:
i think you have an unreasonable idea of what a 42-year old woman is supposed to look like. women in real life look a lot like J.Lo at that age, except that they probably would be wearing makeup in public (most women in Western society of that age wear it, so maybe you haven't seen that 42 year-old women generally have wrinkles and other indicators of age when the makeup is off).

Keanu Reeves happens to look young for his age, so he is not a good example - most men don't wear makeup but they don't look like him.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/11/02/ ... your-skin/
http://www.naturalnews.com/022113.html

I think the most common factors that age the skin are smoking and over exposure to sunlight, however I think certain ingredients and chemicals in make up can cause skin problems. The main problem with make up is that people rely on it for perfect skin, they use it to mask skin problems instead of treating the skin directly. Certain make up products can clog the pores and prevent the skin from breathing which only makes the skin worse.

If it makes a person feel good about themselves and enhances features, I don't see anything wrong with it, however I am saying people need to be aware of the ingredients they are using, people don't usually research the ingredients of the products they are applying on their skin.

I think it is attractive when someone is comfortable in their natural skin. To me, the girl below is beautiful without any make up on but everyone has their own preferences.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:57 am

hmm men being hyper critical about womens looks and having high expectations of beauty and then they wonder why women want to wear make up.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:11 am

The-Raven wrote:
hmm men being hyper critical about womens looks and having high expectations of beauty and then they wonder why women want to wear make up.

Eeeeeyup.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:12 am

Erisad wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Eeeeeyup.

i've found it's more other women are hypercritical of each other.
i've never had a man come up to me and say 'gosh you could use some lipstick/concealer/etc' however, this has happened to me at least 3 times with a woman.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:22 am

emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Eeeeeyup.

i've never had a man come up to me and say 'gosh you could use some lipstick/concealer/etc' however, this has happened to me at least 3 times with a woman.

Well, men may not say it like that. It's probably more of a, "I'd bang you if you were hotter" or something. Probably not to her face though, but talking among their guy friends. Is that something guys talk about? Girls they know who they would or would not bang? O.o

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:24 am

Erisad wrote:
emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Eeeeeyup.

Well, men may not say it like that. It's probably more of a, "I'd bang you if you were hotter" or something. Probably not to her face though, but talking among their guy friends. Is that something guys talk about? Girls they know who they would or would not bang? O.o

haha! no idea. i think thats less embarrassing though. if they don't want to bang me..oh well...:lol:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:31 am

emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Eeeeeyup.

haha! no idea. i think thats less embarrassing though. if they don't want to bang me..oh well...:lol:

I have had women tell me to wear makeup when I was younger. Mostly it was my mom. Now I wear mascara and eyeliner everyday so that stopped. :P

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:05 am

emlion wrote:
Erisad wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Eeeeeyup.

I was thinking more of the men on this thread who say 'oh I will only date women who are stunning naturally with no make up on, dont you think j-lo looks rough, you better be hotter than her, and dont you dare have a wrinkle when your 40!'

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 7:25 am

The-Raven wrote:
I was thinking more of the men on this thread who say 'oh I will only date women who are stunning naturally with no make up on, dont you think j-lo looks rough, you better be hotter than her, and dont you dare have a wrinkle when your 40!'

I totally agree with you.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:13 am

Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

I think the most common factors that age the skin are smoking and over exposure to sunlight, however I think certain ingredients and chemicals in make up can cause skin problems. The main problem with make up is that people rely on it for perfect skin, they use it to mask skin problems instead of treating the skin directly. Certain make up products can clog the pores and prevent the skin from breathing which only makes the skin worse.

If it makes a person feel good about themselves and enhances features, I don't see anything wrong with it, however I am saying people need to be aware of the ingredients they are using, people don't usually research the ingredients of the products they are applying on their skin.

I think it is attractive when someone is comfortable in their natural skin. To me, the girl below is beautiful without any make up on but everyone has their own preferences.

Wolfheart, I don't begrudge you your preferences, but you do understand that this woman is extraordinarily lucky, genetically, right? She's young, #1. She has flawless skin quality, which is extremely rare. She has great facial symmetry and her features are well-proportioned. She has a sporty, athletic, outdoorsy look, which is not something everyone has. It works for her. She'd probably look very strange all made up, because her features are so strong/her natural look already provides an interesting contrast (pale skin/dark hair).

BTW, she has groomed her eyebrows and she's wearing at least something on her lips. So she's not completely au naturel.

Models wear makeup all day and they'll be the first to tell you that it's 1) hydration, and 2) sleep that affects skin quality. The more honest ones admit that it's just genetics. I think nutrition plays a huge part, too (and I know this from personal experience). Look at very fair actresses who have to stay out of the sun because of their genetic backgrounds. Compare someone like Nicole Kidman to Julianne Moore. Moore has aged naturally and you can see the teensy wrinkles around her eyes and on her forehead. Kidman has botoxed her forehead into submission. It no longer moves. You're going to age no matter what. Of course I advocate that people look after their health as best they can but it's ridiculous for anyone to think they'll ever look 15 again.

That J. Lo picture is pretty much par for the course. Your features start to wash out a little in your 30's. It's just nature.

Last edited by mv on 13 Jan 2012, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

Wolfheart wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

yeah, applying makeup doesn't seem too much worse than going without sunscreen and handling your skin roughly. and pimples make women look younger, not older.

makeup contains hundreds of ingredients. it's a little unfair to expect anyone to do that much research really - nobody looks that deeply into all the products they use. it's a no-win situation.