What is your weight range in dating?

Page 7 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

myth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i think there is something wrong with enjoying an ideal, because no person in real life will ever be quite good enough.

Well, I said in my post that if someone is unable to find non-ideals attractive there is a problem. I don't think that is an unavoidable consequence of simply viewing an ideal and finding it beautiful, though.

Basically, my beef is this: Many people like to blame everyone else for their own issues. eg It's the media's fault that no one likes me because all they ever show is skinny people. It's Random Restaurant's fault that I gained so much weight because they marketed their food as healthy.

Each person should be able to decide for themselves what is attractive and what is healthy, etc, and not have their opinions solely molded by advertisments. If someone is a big enough sheep to say "Look at the woman in this magazine, all women should look like that and anyone who falls short is a failure!" then .. well that's just unreasonable. But, again, I don't think it is the media's fault simply for showing an attractive person. It's the audience's fault for drawing the conclusion that this is the only standard of attractiveness.

That's what I think anyway.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
it's a matter of supply and demand, the media is just giving what most people want.

This is essentially what I was trying to say in my previous post.

Nothing is absolute.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

myth wrote:
Well, I said in my post that if someone is unable to find non-ideals attractive there is a problem. I don't think that is an unavoidable consequence of simply viewing an ideal and finding it beautiful, though.

Basically, my beef is this: Many people like to blame everyone else for their own issues. eg It's the media's fault that no one likes me because all they ever show is skinny people. It's Random Restaurant's fault that I gained so much weight because they marketed their food as healthy.

Each person should be able to decide for themselves what is attractive and what is healthy, etc, and not have their opinions solely molded by advertisments. If someone is a big enough sheep to say "Look at the woman in this magazine, all women should look like that and anyone who falls short is a failure!" then .. well that's just unreasonable. But, again, I don't think it is the media's fault simply for showing an attractive person. It's the audience's fault for drawing the conclusion that this is the only standard of attractiveness.

I tend to agree; society forges its weapons against the impractical as a matter of physics. Sometimes it takes a while for something stupid to wear off in terms of trends but it seems like having a healthy counter-culture that has its own values and identity is what seems to do well in terms of evening the score.

I'd add I don't have the etched sculpted eight-pack abbed body of a Calvin Klein model, suppose I'm not obese either but I'm not necessarily beating my head into a wall over my un-model-like body. I know women have a certain amount more pressure but it seems like there are few guys out there who need 'perfect' or even want it. Well dressed, good personality, and style in general IMHO still seems to outrun.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i think there is something wrong with enjoying an ideal, because no person in real life will ever be quite good enough.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
it's a matter of supply and demand, the media is just giving what most people want.

i think the media reflects our own warped expectations and desires, yet it also creates a feedback loop where it also influences us.

i think that having any sort of ideal in mind is not healthy because any potential partner will be a compromise. i do not think it is possible to hold an ideal in your head and yet still see less-perfect individuals as being beautiful enough.

it creates a form of perfectionism in the mind that no human can fulfill... because the media presents us with unrealistic humans. nobody can look that good because those bodies do not exist in that perfect form. the models themselves are not even that perfect.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
myth wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

i think the media reflects our own warped expectations and desires, yet it also creates a feedback loop where it also influences us.

i think that having any sort of ideal in mind is not healthy because any potential partner will be a compromise. i do not think it is possible to hold an ideal in your head and yet still see less-perfect individuals as being beautiful enough.

it creates a form of perfectionism in the mind that no human can fulfill... because the media presents us with unrealistic humans. nobody can look that good because those bodies do not exist in that perfect form. the models themselves are not even that perfect.

I agree with that hyperlexian.

But hold on a minute!! That was exactly my point in the six-packs thread yet you refuted it with your shrimp theory thing. Your shrimp example isn't wrong, but I don't think my hypothesis of the ideal image is any less true, and you're agreeing on it with in this very post.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

i can't remember that thread, or what i said. :( can you link to the thing about shrimps?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i can't remember that thread, or what i said. :( can you link to the thing about shrimps?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf180672-0-210.html

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

ok i read it, but i don't get how it applies here. those six-packs are usually not real either, is that what you are talking about?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

wait, i think i get what you're saying, but having an ideal is not the same thing as having a visceral reaction to a picture.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
wait, i think i get what you're saying, but having an ideal is not the same thing as having a visceral reaction to a picture.

If it's a positive reaction like smiling/lip-biting/oogling then yes, this is a reaction toward something sexually ideal.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

If it's a positive reaction like smiling/lip-biting/oogling then yes, this is a reaction toward something sexually ideal.

noooooo. people apparently often have physical reactions to watching monkeys doing sexual acts. that reaction does not mean they want to have sex with monkeys or that monkeys are ideal.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

MXH wrote:
from my experience in europe so far the comparison is more like this

just as many overweight here than there.

LMAO.. I LOVE George!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:36 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
The stupidity some men portray when trying to tell apart false beauty and real beauty is the reason so many women exploit it.

I'll give you an example.

I know a girl who really abused fake tan. It wasn't the orange colour of snooki, but it was obviously fake tan.

She said something about fake tan one day at work and a guy pipes up "Don't use fake tan, you'll go orange" - little did he know she never leaves the house without it anyway.

Some men seem to think women get out of bed with a full face of make up, fake tan and done hair. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

*Same thing* can be said about many girls, hale_bopp when it comes to the muscular and six-packed guys that most of your gender drool over.

Most young girls think that most of those guys are sporty, athletic and *healthy* (LOOOL). When I got involved in the gym stuff I've starting to discover how wrong they are.

Their "athleticism" and their "healthiness" are all about consuming crazy amounts of concentrated animal proteins. The bulkier ones (originally "fat") tend to consume fat-burner crappy stuff + concentrated proteins while the slender types (those with fast metabolism and were originally 'thin') follow unhealthy crazy diets (=crazy amount of protein-rich food).

Like 70% of the "Strong" guys I know in the gym have gallbladder-issues, gallstones and/or other food-related health issues, I witness those guys often have females fans (very obvious fan-behaviors), probably that's why a lot of guys keep following this slow-suicidal behavior.

The male-fitness world is a messed one.

it's true that women also fall for the illusions. we look at pictures of men and women in the media and assume they are accurate or true, and really they aren't.

That's what hale_bopp isn't getting (and the tan is also a "part" of the body btw and it can't be removed at any time).

Do you recall your shrimp argument? Those guys do fool girls by projecting themselves as 'healthy' and 'strong' (I am not just talking about the media, but about real life) but a lot of them have miserable heath and not even as strong as they appear.

I am not in the "blaming the media" camp btw, it's a matter of supply and demand, the media is just giving what most people want.

Boo, tan washes off after 3 or so days - you have to keep applying it. (Unless it's a sunbed tan.. but that isn't attractive anyway as you look like a piece of leather)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:49 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

noooooo. people apparently often have physical reactions to watching monkeys doing sexual acts. that reaction does not mean they want to have sex with monkeys or that monkeys are ideal.

lol hyperlexian..... I don't think the two scenarios are even comparable. People would often laugh, smile in amusement way while watching monkeys doing sexual acts. It's not the same with the six packs scenario.

Believe me, when they do that == then it's a physical ideal. A fantasy.

So any future partner without that feature is a compromise somehow.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 6:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

lol hyperlexian..... I don't think the two scenarios are even comparable. People would often laugh, smile in amusement way while watching monkeys doing sexual acts. It's not the same with the six packs scenario.

no, i mean that they have actual sexual responses to it. their genitals become aroused. researchers have studied this. so it is the same, really.

AliTatt
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

I have a preference for guys that are less than "fluffy" as my friends put notably overweight folks xD

Your Aspie score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 7:17 am

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

no, i mean that they have actual sexual responses to it. their genitals become aroused. researchers have studied this. so it is the same, really.

they get around probably they recall human sexual acts.

But the two things are NOT comparable. I can't see how you they are even comparable.