Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

If your partner or someone you are interested in tried to commit suicide, would it be a deal breaker for you?

So I'm never in a rush

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

No way. If anything, I would be 10x more supportive than I was to begin with. That would worry me to death.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

It depends on why they did it?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:05 pm

Solvejg wrote:
If your partner or someone you are interested in tried to commit suicide, would it be a deal breaker for you?

I don't think you should ever remain in a relationship you are unhappy with. I think for me it would depend entirely on the context. If they did it in an attempt to get their own way in an argument, or to get back/stop you from leaving, then I think I would probably leave at that point. Once someone like that knows it works, they'll keep on using it.

If it's not related at all to an argument, and they were just severely depressed, I'd probably try to be supportive. I'd be angry, but I'd like to think I'd forgive them. But I would understand someone who couldn't.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:10 pm

I think it also depends on context. I would not date someone who was suicidal as such because as selfish as it sounds, I care enough about myself that I don't want myself to be hurt because of someone else.

However if they were on medication ect that made them go a bit crazy, I would stay as long as they would get off the medication.

So I'm never in a rush

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

I was thinking more in the context that they were just very unhappy about some certain uncontrollable situation. Are we talking about those who are looking more for attention?

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:16 pm

Kinme wrote:
I was thinking more in the context that they were just very unhappy about some certain uncontrollable situation. Are we talking about those who are looking more for attention?

any situation that causes a person to want to kill themselves

So I'm never in a rush

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:18 pm

It would probably be best for them not to be in a relationship until they have the suicidal tendencies sorted out. I would be supportive as a friend, though.

He might make it very hard for me to be my own independent person. He may depend on me for all his emotional support, and if I fail to meet his needs, he may blame me for it. Also, if things go bad later on, and I'd want to break up, I would force myself to bite my tongue and stick through with it, instead of risking him attempting suicide over me.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

I've tried to kill myself quite a few times, and I don't think it's ever put people off me - at least not as far as I'm aware. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would depend on the situation. I don't think embarking on a relationship with someone who is severely mentally distressed is a good idea as it would be a lot to cope with and what if things didn't work? I would wait until they were a little better in such a (for me, hypothetical) situation.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

It didn't for my husband, at that time my boyfriend. My attempt turned out to be due to a negative reaction to medications.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

Solvejg wrote:

That's exactly why I ended my last relationship. Her "commiting suicide" argument was stupid emotional blackmail.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

Solvejg wrote:
I think it also depends on context. I would not date someone who was suicidal as such because as selfish as it sounds, I care enough about myself that I don't want myself to be hurt because of someone else.

My thoughts exactly. And it's not selfish at all. I had my partner calling me screaming "I wana kill myself" without any logical reason. Then she dragged me to emergency room, I waited like 4 hours and I was hella hungry and tired. My god why do I need all this??

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:08 pm

Possibly. If it's emotional blackmail, it's over. If it's a genuine problem - a problem I'd imagine other people having, and not related to me - I'd be able to discuss it.
Personally, whenever I feel really bad, I just feel more fit to fight. If I die now, the people who disagree with me or hate me will have a field day. I'm not giving them that.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I'd try to help them sort things out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2012, 7:42 pm

No. I've been through a bad depression & lots of other mental issues years ago & I thought about suicid some then. I'm a lot more attracted to women with mental issues because I can relate to them & I know it would of been a major help for me to have someone when I was depressed. I'm very supportive & would do everything I could to help my partner

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:21 pm

DEAL Image