Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... -women-men

Quote:
Wanderlust: How to marry a Russian man in three months
A shortage of men motivates some Russian women to become better lovers. Here's how they're doing it.

MOSCOW – Yulia Varra says that when a 50-year-old Russian man looks for a girlfriend, he never considers women close to his age.

“He wants somebody under 25,” she said.

While men in other countries might want the same thing, they probably don't have a waiting list of young, pretty maidens interested in a relationship with them.

“We have a very specific situation in Russia, said Varra, 42.

"There are too many women and not enough men."

While anecdotal evidence suggests Russia isn’t the only country where successful women over the age of 40 struggle to find potential husbands, the gap here is wide enough to be statistically significant.

Based on preliminary census results published in March, men account for just 46.3 percent of Russia's population, while women make up 53.7 percent.

There are many reasons for that gap.

After the fall of the Iron Curtain, Russia's population has been steadily decreasing. Since the last survey in 2002, it dropped by another 2.2 million.

But the number of men is declining even more dramatically. Russian women today outnumber men by 10.5 million, primarily due to high male mortality rates fueled by heart disease, accidents and alcoholism, all made worse by dramatic socioeconomic changes in post-Soviet Russia.

But that's not all. Only a fraction of the men who are still alive aren’t violent, impoverished or addicted to alcohol, Varra claims.

“Finding a Russian man over 40 who has money and isn’t an alcoholic is extremely hard,” she said. “Such a man will probably have a car, a weekend cottage, but often also a wife or at least a mistress or two. Yet, to many Russian women this is still a better option than settling for an indebted drunk.”

It all adds up to a pretty bleak situation for Russian women.

But where others her age see despair and frustration, Varra sensed a business opportunity. She runs a class in Moscow called “How to Marry in Three Months” designed to teach women how to overcome the challenges of Russia's man shortage.

The course takes place two to three times a year, and has been so popular that Varra is working on a book of the same title, “How to Marry in Three Months.”

She teaches female customers how to find, keep and marry a man in six easy steps, which run from “Putting oneself in places men of interest frequent,“ all the way to “Getting him to marry you.”

[edit: article truncated by mod for copyright reasons]

It seems like a really good plan. Would any of the ladies here care to give it a whirl?

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

This article scares me in many ways...

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:06 pm

Shroomy wrote:

I agree.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:34 pm

I'm there...
Though does seem odd. :scratch:

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

PastFixations wrote:
I'm there...

Be prepared...

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:03 pm

Kinme wrote:
PastFixations wrote:
I'm there...

Be prepared...

Why did I get the Lion King song that Uncle Scar sings... with the hyenas.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:05 pm

Shroomy wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something due to my Y chromosome? :)

If there's such a shortage of GOOD men over there, it makes me want to book a trip! Where I may seem like a lame catch here in Canada with only a regular full-time job and income of ~40k, most greedy status-seekers will move on to tastier, wealthier men. A lady tired of drunken whoremongers may truly appreciate someone with a steady job, a nice apartment and will love them for life!

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

Song I'm talking about - Click Here
Somehow I got that song in my head. :lol:

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:51 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Kinme wrote:
PastFixations wrote:
I'm there...

Be prepared...

Why did I get the Lion King song that Uncle Scar sings... with the hyenas.

That was my intention. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

I actually found that interesting. It would explain why the term "Russian Mail Bride" is so famous,

I dunno, it sure sounds a bit ghastly for me, but that being a different culture and all I can't just rush judgement.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

I've seen entire documentries on this subject - it certainly is fascinating from a psychological perspective.

Most of the women who sign up for these courses don't do it for the right reasons though. I can't imagine that most of the marriages would be overly happy ones either.

Edit: If I remember the documentray or TV series correctly, their business was based on teaching women how to get *rich* or well off husbands. So I if I am remembering correctly, that would change the dynamics, no?

Last edited by Kjas on 27 Jul 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 8:31 pm

"What do we always tell them, no matter what?"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mermWNac8[/youtube]

Men like sex, and they like validation. Of course, Russian ladies seem to be up against some strong competition. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I don't see how it can fail.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

BlueMax wrote:

If there's such a shortage of GOOD men over there, it makes me want to book a trip! Where I may seem like a lame catch here in Canada with only a regular full-time job and income of ~40k, most greedy status-seekers will move on to tastier, wealthier men. A lady tired of drunken whoremongers may truly appreciate someone with a steady job, a nice apartment and will love them for life!

Actually the thing that scares me the most is that I suddenly feel I'm the one missing something here. :( The worst part is they talk about having sex on the first, second and third dates as if it's a regular thing that's expected of everyone. I've never been in a real date situation before, I don't know. And talking about the third date being "leaving it too long" (what the heck!?) which forces the woman to do it whether they wanted to yet or not in case the guy picks a more eager woman instead... ugh, what a horrible situation to be in. And the fact women over 25 don't stand a chance... or the fact they make it sound like it's a regular thing for people have multiple partners whether their original one likes it or not... and using sex to get a man to stay with you, etc. I hope Australia never has a shortage of men. :(

Quote:
Shortly after finishing Varra's class, she received her first marriage proposal. And not only one.

After years of drought, she now has two whole men to choose from.

At first I thought this was taking the Mickey but then I realised it might be real. lol? Does anyone know?

I did recently notice that men like me more if I said something that makes them feel good about themselves. I would only ever say things that are true, though. I think they like to be around people who make them feel good. I think women are too cos I find myself being more drawn to the men who say they like specific things about me.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

Me knowing who I am and how I can be as a person, I wouldn't be comfortable to marry someone in three months. But if it works for others, it works for others.

Then I have done my job

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:48 pm

Plan B: marry a man outside of Russia (that's what the genuinely smart women would be doing)

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm

Shroomy wrote:
BlueMax wrote:

Actually the thing that scares me the most is that I suddenly feel I'm the one missing something here. :( The worst part is they talk about having sex on the first, second and third dates as if it's a regular thing that's expected of everyone. I've never been in a real date situation before, I don't know. And talking about the third date being "leaving it too long" (what the heck!?) which forces the woman to do it whether they wanted to yet or not in case the guy picks a more eager woman instead... ugh, what a horrible situation to be in. And the fact women over 25 don't stand a chance... or the fact they make it sound like it's a regular thing for people have multiple partners whether their original one likes it or not... and using sex to get a man to stay with you, etc. I hope Australia never has a shortage of men. :(

Now I see your point of view as well - and agree with it!

Sometimes it feels like North America has a situation where the gals are so hungry for power and money that only the wealthiest and most influential of men will "win" one - in the same way that only the sexiest and most pleasing of Russian women will attract a partner that isn't scum.

What a @#$^#@% messed-up world we live in - no matter what corner of it you happen to be in.