Pt 1: Eye contact? Pt 2: Managing loneliness?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

njones0100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2012, 6:03 pm

I went to a funeral for one of my coworkers this morning. I didn't know her well, but I went to pay my respects, stayed for an hour, and left. Honestly, I wanted to avoid all of the gatherings and small talk afterward.

And I felt selfish for thinking about myself during the ceremony. It was selfish. I guess I felt guilty. But I couldn't help but think that if I died today the congregation would be a small fraction of the size of the one that was attending. It bummed me out.

Then I ran a few errands. I was wearing a suit, and was a bit surprised by the attention I was getting walking through big box retail stores. I'm not a bad looking guy, but I was surprised by the contrast to my day to day life (maybe I need to update my wardrobe). But even when I was getting attention from attractive women in random public places, it just compounded the bumness. I can get attention, and I can get eye contact, but that's where it ends. My social skills are pitiful, and even eye contact is something I struggle with. The struggle is evident, and it goes no further.

I don't know what to do about this. My self confidence has withered from all of the failed social interactions, even at a basic level. A thousand tiny tragedies have sapped my self esteem. And now I guess I've given up. I'm running damage control by avoiding failure and avoiding any possibility of rejection. But I'm far from asexual, I feel like my youth is slipping, and I feel like I'm missing out on the best years of my life.

I have to stop myself before I write my autobiography here, but I'm still feeling pretty bummed. I don't have any friends. So how is loneliness dealt with when there is no solution? To make a longer story short, I've been single for six months, but I'm getting older and I feel like I could be alone for the rest of my life, and this is all I have to look forward to. I feel like it's a bleeding wound, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. It's killing me

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for your time.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

I've been single for about 8 years, maybe longer. Anyway, you have company in your loneliness. (Yes, that's an oxymoron, I know). I'm in the same boat as you so I have no answers about eluding the trajectory of despair and isolation. Who knows? Things may change when we least expect it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

I was single for twenty years, but then met someone when I was least expecting it. I have to say that when I felt my worst and loneliest, I may have been off putting to the opposite sex. Yet, it's hard not to be; how can one excude confidence when one is feeling like they have landed on the discard heap of life? I questioned myself endlessly as to why was I doomed to be alone, and cursed myself for my social awkwardness. I had endless crushes on people who wouldn't give me the time of day. It seemed that only when I accepted that I wasn't going to find anyone that I relaxed and just looked for occasional social outings. I enjoyed them because I wasn't eagerly looking for a boyfriend, just friends in general.

There are no easy answers. Life is contrary that way, I guess. :?

njones0100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I've been single for about 8 years, maybe longer. Anyway, you have company in your loneliness. (Yes, that's an oxymoron, I know). I'm in the same boat as you so I have no answers about eluding the trajectory of despair and isolation. Who knows? Things may change when we least expect it.

Does that mean 8 years of being an incel? If so, you're pretty tough. I admire you for that.

I'm about 6 months in. I think I could be in pretty sad shape after 8 years.

This is motivating me to do as much as I can do better myself. I think I'm going to start spending 4 hours a night working out. :p

Although I don't know if this is motivation, or desperation. :p

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2012, 9:24 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I was single for twenty years, but then met someone when I was least expecting it. I have to say that when I felt my worst and loneliest, I may have been off putting to the opposite sex. Yet, it's hard not to be; how can one excude confidence when one is feeling like they have landed on the discard heap of life? I questioned myself endlessly as to why was I doomed to be alone, and cursed myself for my social awkwardness. I had endless crushes on people who wouldn't give me the time of day. It seemed that only when I accepted that I wasn't going to find anyone that I relaxed and just looked for occasional social outings. I enjoyed them because I wasn't eagerly looking for a boyfriend, just friends in general.

Lucky you. I hope the same thing could happen to me...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 11:14 pm

njones0100 wrote:
I went to a funeral for one of my coworkers this morning. I didn't know her well, but I went to pay my respects, stayed for an hour, and left. Honestly, I wanted to avoid all of the gatherings and small talk afterward.

And I felt selfish for thinking about myself during the ceremony. It was selfish. I guess I felt guilty. But I couldn't help but think that if I died today the congregation would be a small fraction of the size of the one that was attending. It bummed me out.

Then I ran a few errands. I was wearing a suit, and was a bit surprised by the attention I was getting walking through big box retail stores. I'm not a bad looking guy, but I was surprised by the contrast to my day to day life (maybe I need to update my wardrobe). But even when I was getting attention from attractive women in random public places, it just compounded the bumness. I can get attention, and I can get eye contact, but that's where it ends. My social skills are pitiful, and even eye contact is something I struggle with. The struggle is evident, and it goes no further.

I don't know what to do about this. My self confidence has withered from all of the failed social interactions, even at a basic level. A thousand tiny tragedies have sapped my self esteem. And now I guess I've given up. I'm running damage control by avoiding failure and avoiding any possibility of rejection. But I'm far from asexual, I feel like my youth is slipping, and I feel like I'm missing out on the best years of my life.

I have to stop myself before I write my autobiography here, but I'm still feeling pretty bummed. I don't have any friends. So how is loneliness dealt with when there is no solution? To make a longer story short, I've been single for six months, but I'm getting older and I feel like I could be alone for the rest of my life, and this is all I have to look forward to. I feel like it's a bleeding wound, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. It's killing me

Many individuals on the spectrum find themselves in the position of wanting friends, yet at the same time, find socializing and the energy and work involved, stressful.

NTs occasionally find themselves in similar situations. Just the other day one of my siblings was lamenting about a social event they promised a friend they would attend, and how they really didn't want to because they were tired and the traffic was bad. However they had turned the friend down three times previously and had committed themselves to this, and thus it was the appropriate thing to go despite the fact that they really didn't want to.

Socializing is not just about meeting your own needs, but fulfilling the needs of others as well. This is one reason people are more willing to go out of their way for a friend.

If you wish to have a social life then you are occasionally going to have to take yourself outside of your social comfort zone and make an effort. It's no different than anything else in life. You have to work at it.

njones0100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

hartzofspace wrote:

I can see how that would work. Take away the pressure to perform and then you can lose the anxiety. You're no longer performing and just being yourself. I'm going to take a page from this playbook, and erase the need or desire for a relationship from my mind.

Whatever happens, happens. I just have to get comfortable with the idea of never having a relationship, and remove any desire or need for having one. Then I can just let myself, be myself, and enjoy whatever comes my way.

njones0100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2012, 11:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
njones0100 wrote:

Many individuals on the spectrum find themselves in the position of wanting friends, yet at the same time, find socializing and the energy and work involved, stressful.

NTs occasionally find themselves in similar situations. Just the other day one of my siblings was lamenting about a social event they promised a friend they would attend, and how they really didn't want to because they were tired and the traffic was bad. However they had turned the friend down three times previously and had committed themselves to this, and thus it was the appropriate thing to go despite the fact that they really didn't want to.

Socializing is not just about meeting your own needs, but fulfilling the needs of others as well. This is one reason people are more willing to go out of their way for a friend.

If you wish to have a social life then you are occasionally going to have to take yourself outside of your social comfort zone and make an effort. It's no different than anything else in life. You have to work at it.

Thanks for the advice.

I understand, I guess I just don't know where to begin. I find it interesting that alcohol greatly lowers my inhibitions and thereby increases my desire to socialize. I hate to use a crutch, but maybe I can use it as a bridge to get me to a place where I have more friends.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

njones0100 wrote:

I think you have found your ideal look. Go for the business suit look and women will notice and you will have a higher chance of success. Play up the "wealth and power" image and go from there. Turn your hobbies into side businesses. Women want guys that are in charge and have social status and resources. It is a major motivator. Use that to your advantage.

You also have to realize that depending on another flawed human being for true eternal happiness is simply unrealistic.

You have to be content with yourself first.

Google "Divorce Horror Stories" to shatter that pedestal that you have placed romance on.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

njones0100 wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

I can see how that would work. Take away the pressure to perform and then you can lose the anxiety. You're no longer performing and just being yourself. I'm going to take a page from this playbook, and erase the need or desire for a relationship from my mind.

Whatever happens, happens. I just have to get comfortable with the idea of never having a relationship, and remove any desire or need for having one. Then I can just let myself, be myself, and enjoy whatever comes my way.

During my long state of single-hood I learned to enjoy my freedom to come and go whenever I pleased, without having to consider someone else. Or bake a cake in the wee hours without worrying about disturbing my SO. There are things to be enjoyed only while single, and things to be enjoyed only when in a relationship. I learned that once I learned to enjoy myself alone, doing things with someone else was twice the fun!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 12:15 am

njones0100 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
njones0100 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

I understand, I guess I just don't know where to begin. I find it interesting that alcohol greatly lowers my inhibitions and thereby increases my desire to socialize. I hate to use a crutch, but maybe I can use it as a bridge to get me to a place where I have more friends.

I do not advise using alcohol to better your social life.

Londonhoggle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

Chronos wrote:
I do not advise using alcohol to better your social life.

I agree. I have noticed the effect of lowered inhibitions, but I find this can be achieved by drinking at a significantly slower pace than the people with whom u are drinking. Asking for tap water or cola are acceptable