Dating tips for girls for the first ever date.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 10:59 am

Dating tips for a girl who may have her first ever date in future.

Couldn't spot any tips for first time daters here..

P.S. I am guy and I started the Dating tips for guys for the first ever date. thread. Thought a similar thread would be helpful for girls.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

on my first date i smashed my car into the car of my girlfriend's dad. It was embarrassing.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

I think this thread is a good idea. I have this girls advice binder thing from 1986 that I got from a garage sale when I was in middle school and it had all kinds of school/make-up/dating/ etc. advice and I found it to be so helpful.
Some of the first date tips from it paraphrased:

- wear a clean, neat, outfit you are comfortable in
- pay special attention to oral hygiene
- wear make-up just a little bit bolder/more involved than your everyday
- if you aren't driving yourself, have the number for a taxi and enough money for a ride home or have a friend or parent on call
- tell a friend/parent where you are going and what time you should be home, call when you get home or if your plans change
-bring enough money to cover your expenses on the date (the book says offer to pay but don't push it, I say do what feels right to you)
- act interested in them, ask questions, smile
- don't talk too much about yourself or interests that aren't mutual

it's mostly for teens and most of the tips I have from experience are about safety, so, not so fun
- make sure your phone is fully charged

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:38 am

I remember my first date :)
There was the friend date.....aka group date.
If it is that, make sure you feel up to social interaction.
Make light if you make any mistakes
(like the guy I was going to the dance with bought a corset[think it's called that]and I didn't get him anything....it was awkward....but I made light of it).
Try to follow what the group wants, so if they want to go to a place, follow them, etc....to a reasonable extent.
Make sure to not be attached at the hip, but not too detached.
I was scared to even touch my date for pictures, it was awkwardly hilarious now that I think about it.
Then there was a couple in our group who was stuck together....and that is usually annoying.

It's different if it is a one-on-one...
Make sure you are wearing something cute but nothing that is below your moral standards...even if you think the guy would like it.
Make sure you have it figured out what you guys are going to do that time, and prepare and be on time.
Bring some extra cash, and if you asked, be ready to pay just in case.
ALWAYS bring a cell phone.
Don't be afraid to say no or that something makes you uncomfortable.
Have fun :)

Biggest thing is don't worry....this is your first date, but will most likely not be your last, so don't overthink it :)

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 2:26 am

To prepare for that goodnite kiss, assuming the guy offers and u plan on accepting, put on chapstick before u leave. It can work it's magic thoughout the date and ur lips will be soft. Don't wear goopy lipgloss either.

Ruhig
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2012, 9:17 pm

In response to the OP, I am finding a thread like this helpful, even if there are only a few posts at the moment.
It is good to go over these things; to see them in writing. Especially when I've never done any of this before.

I am going to see a movie tomorrow night with a male for whom my feelings may be described as a "crush". I guess it doesn't qualify as a "date" because this outing is more on a friendship level. Unfortunately for me, maybe. Hmm....

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:31 pm

- Observe closely
- Ask questions, lots of them
- The more you get them to talk about themselves the better - he will like the level of interest and it means if there are red flags you will spot them early
- Always arrange a way to get home by yourself that is *not* dependent on them - safety first
- Bring enough money, always offer to pay your share, at least on the first date
- If it's cold or has the possiblity of getting cold, always bring a coat
- Wear comfortable shoes that look good
- Wear something that you feel comfortable in that looks good
- Keep make up minimal and natural - if you decide you like him you can do something more with it next time (same goes for clothes & shoes)
- Bring a mobile phone
- Check in with a friend or family member after the date so they know you're ok, and tell them where you're going beforehand
- Try to keep the first date in public places
- Do not wear lip gloss or lipstick that will get all over them - stick to chapstick or lip balm
- Try to keep calm before, play music on the way beforehand if you know it will help
- Do not talk about your ex's or old crushes on the first date (or marriage & kids, family problems, school problems, work problems, etc)
- Do not talk about poltics, religion or controversial issues (e.g. you can ask if they are religious, or if they are a liberal or conservative, but leave the topic alone after that)
- Try to keep the level and topics of conversation reciprocal and flowing where possible overall
- Remember that this is so you get to know each other so do not give them your life story and do not let them give you theirs

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 7:39 am

Kjas wrote:
- Remember that this is so you get to know each other so do not give them your life story and do not let them give you theirs

Why wait? Or is this a matter of half truths? If the person gets to hear the life story in the 2nd date/interview and it wouldn't have worked out, why wait for the inevitable?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 7:45 am

Stalk wrote:
Kjas wrote:

Why wait? Or is this a matter of half truths? If the person gets to hear the life story in the 2nd date/interview and it wouldn't have worked out, why wait for the inevitable?

Because it's not socially acceptable among NT's.

There are things on that list that I disagree with - they are not my personal opinions, they are merely what is and is not socially acceptable.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:10 pm

Kjas wrote:
Stalk wrote:
Kjas wrote:

Because it's not socially acceptable among NT's.

There are things on that list that I disagree with - they are not my personal opinions, they are merely what is and is not socially acceptable.

I did this with my current bf...but he is an aspie, and it was technically on the 2nd date.

hidingmyusername52
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

This is not as applicable if you are not going out with someone you met on the internet, but TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. All of us know we can be a little naive. Always better to have someone know where you are and seem a little paranoid than to have no one know and wind up hurt.

Anyway, that said:

-wear a comfortable outfit that YOU think you look nice in. It matters not one lick what someone else says, if YOU feel good in it (and it's reasonably presentable), you'll look twice as good in it.

-brush your teeth

-comb your hair

-shave your legs, etc. Even if you're wearing long pants and no one is going to see your legs, it'll instill some confidence and make you feel prettier.

-Don't worry too much about eye contact. Make it occasionally, but don't obsess over it.

-This is a very personal choice, but I always choose to disclose that I have mild Asperger's before the first date. If the person sticks around, I know they're worth it, and also it makes it easier to avoid small social blunders.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 12:42 am

Quote:
Always arrange a way to get home by yourself that is *not* dependent on them - safety first

This is a great point and I'm glad it was mentioned. I've actually had to do this for female friends.

Quote:
-shave your legs, etc. Even if you're wearing long pants and no one is going to see your legs, it'll instill some confidence and make you feel prettier.

I learned that this summer.