Can AS guys and girls find a happy ending together

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 2:51 pm

Just wondering...if anyone with AS found love with someone with the same condition
I am a very shy person and find it difficult to talk with people so have been left behind in the love game sadly :(
I was thinking that if i met some nice lady with AS i might have a better chance for a relationship to work as we would understand eachother more.
Has anyone ever married a woman with the same condition? just curious! as i have been thinking of maybe chatting with some lovely ladies with AS in the hope i just might meet my match.....does anyone have a happy ending to tell regarding this?

We all hope in life to meet that soul mate that can accept us but with AS i think this can be hard...i am thinking about maybe joining a dating site for people with AS hoping to see what might happen..so thought i would ask wrong planet guys if you have had any luck dating a girl withAS or if you girls have had any luck with guys with the same condition.

whoamiv1pt7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2012, 3:06 pm

I was wondering about this too: what if an AS girl and an AS boy started a romantic relationship together. It sounds like the best thing that could ever happen, two people that understand each other. I only know one girl with AS tho, and I have the hardest time talking to her. I don't know why (I kinda do think she is cute :heart:, but I easily fall for other people; too easily :wall:). It might be one of those things where two of the same cancel each other out. Like in that one point of the solar system where Jupiter's and the Sun's gravity cancel out. I donno. In theory it could work, and if it does, congratulations! You're just going to need to help me find someone with AS who like me as much as I like her.

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 4:40 pm

If you are an introvert I would suggest finding someone who isn't one.
I have recently started dating someone who is an introvert and so am I.
I am really hoping it works out, but it seems to be extra hard to keep the conversation going.

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 4:55 pm

Thankyou Sbarne3
interesting that you say that....maybe you are right i am an introvert so maybe someone that can bring me out of my shell would be better :) we both would die of boredom :lol: if we were both introverts.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 5:11 pm

I was wondering the same thing (if AS+AS=Success), I put an ad in OkCupid and specifically stated that I have autism. Turned out there was someone there with AS in the same city. We have met twice and communication is comfortable. I have had relationships with other people with autism and everyone is different. But it is easier when each is aware of aspects of having autism. Instead of having to explain yourself all the time.

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 5:35 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing (if AS+AS=Success), I put an ad in OkCupid and specifically stated that I have autism. Turned out there was someone there with AS in the same city. We have met twice and communication is comfortable. I have had relationships with other people with autism and everyone is different. But it is easier when each is aware of aspects of having autism. Instead of having to explain yourself all the time.

Out of curiosity and in light of the posts above, can you tell us if you and the other person are introverts or extroverts?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

sbarne3 wrote:
Out of curiosity and in light of the posts above, can you tell us if you and the other person are introverts or extroverts?

He is more extroverted than I am, he is far more at ease socially and has many more friends.

Wolfmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 5:53 pm

I don't really have many social problems, so I can generally chat with NT girls.

I dated an aspie girl earlier this year, didn't work out because when our relationship hit the realistic stage she just left me. And, she refused to make any changes or sacrifices for the realistic stage. I can't stand when people do that...

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 5:55 pm

Wolfmaster wrote:
I don't really have many social problems, so I can generally chat with NT girls.

I dated an aspie girl earlier this year, didn't work out because when our relationship hit the realistic stage she just left me. And, she refused to make any changes or sacrifices for the realistic stage. I can't stand when people do that...

Not sure what you mean by "the realistic stage"... What kind of changes/sacrifices did she refuse to make?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

20 Dec 2012, 7:37 pm

Translation: he pushed her too hard to make a long-term commitment, and as a result, she got scared off.

Every guy ought to be able to empathize with her.

Wolfmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 7:41 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Translation: he pushed her too hard to make a long-term commitment, and as a result, she got scared off.

No, honestly, that isn't what happened. She ended it and told me that I did nothing. Then her friends told me she broke up with me because of annoying things I did - thus bringing her into the realistic stage.

Also, she said she WANTED a long-term relationship. lawl

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

20 Dec 2012, 7:56 pm

Wolfmaster wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

No, honestly, that isn't what happened. She ended it and told me that I did nothing. Then her friends told me she broke up with me because of annoying things I did - thus bringing her into the realistic stage.

I'm sorry. She should have been able to identify with "weird" things. I'm sure she did plenty herself. Breaking up with you and not telling you why is so "NT."

Wolfmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2012, 8:07 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Wolfmaster wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

I'm sorry. She should have been able to identify with "weird" things. I'm sure she did plenty herself. Breaking up with you and not telling you why is so "NT."

Girls aspies can be closer to NT to than men, though.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 8:52 pm

Well my girlfriend shows very strong Aspergirl traits so I would be surprised if she wasn't a fellow Aspie. I must say I am glad I learned about Autism because I would have probably written her off as cold and selfish when in reality she is the most loyal and caring person I have ever met. It has only been three months but both our parents have dropped the "M" word and I strongly believe my first relationship will be my last.

I was once chatting with a local WP member privately who is officially diagnosed and I swear my GF is nearly identical to this person. If she had not shared her real identity I would have assumed it was my GF in disguise.

whoamiv1pt7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

sbarne3 wrote:

Very good, if not the best advice ever.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

whoamiv1pt7 wrote:
sbarne3 wrote:

Very good, if not the best advice ever.

I think this is good advice for some but not for all. My experience with dating extroverts has not been positive. I think there are different types of introverted people: those who would benefit from an extroverted partner who would bring them out of their shell, and those who would benefit from an introverted partner who would allow them to come out of their shell. I'm the latter type, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I'd say experiment with both types and see which works best for you.