Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2013, 12:46 am

I don't know if anyone noticed, but OkCupid unveiled a new feature/app called Blind Date...

basically, you can set yourself up a date (and maybe a time), pick a location on the map, and OkCupid will scramble your picture of you... and just wait for someone to be interested in you!!

you can also find a list of available blind dates... the catch you and the other person does not read the OKC profiles!!

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/mfs1013

http://soundcloud.com/DJMFS
http://mixcloud.com/DJMFS

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2013, 12:58 am

See this is weird to me because in my experience the best part about OKCupid is that you get to see if a person's values line up with your own before wasting time on a date, and this kinda negates all that good stuff! But I guess if I was super bored I might give it a go.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

I just got that email... Betcha' dollars-to-donuts that feature won't be around long! This ain't Ashley Madison and its "no-ugly-people-allowed" policy.

(*bazooka-barf* courtesy of A.M.)

More than just the physical mismatches - this random setup is going to match all kinds of awful pairs with conflicting views... but maybe a select few successes along the way from people who never would've spoken otherwise. [shrug]

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 1:48 am

Well... this idea seems very psycho friendly. How many people are going to make it home alive after a blind date?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 2:25 am

Yesterday, Okcupid blacked out everyone's profile pictures, apparently to celebrate the release of this app. I don't understand the point of it though.

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2013, 2:33 am

Jono wrote:
Yesterday, Okcupid blacked out everyone's profile pictures, apparently to celebrate the release of this app. I don't understand the point of it though.

that didn't happen to me for some reason

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:12 am

That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea to me. So if I understand it right, you tell everyone on the site your location, and show up to meet whoever decided to come? The whole concept seems super-creepy to me but maybe I don't understand it correctly.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:25 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea to me. So if I understand it right, you tell everyone on the site your location, and show up to meet whoever decided to come? The whole concept seems super-creepy to me but maybe I don't understand it correctly.

You're not supposed to give them your location anyway even if you've been chatting for while and trying to organize a first date with them. You're supposed to meet in a public place without giving them your location, or much personal information at all for that matter.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

As long as it is between adults and both parties have taken their own safety into account(let someone know where you are and a expected ending time, contact them once its over... you know the drill) I dont see whats wrong.

Plenty of people complain about not getting dates(both genders for whatever reasons) and this allows them to go on blind dates without the embarrassment of telling a relative to set you up/whatever

Id be more concerned if it was facebook doing it since teens are likelier to use it and may not take their safety into account.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:40 am

Very few women would use it (if any) - this is more useful for homosexuals.

SPKx
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

I like the idea. No matter how many of the same interests you have, it's not until you meet when you know whether or not you have true chemistry with a person.

Blind dates existed long before online dating and I'm willing to try it out if it means actually meeting people.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:01 pm

does it require you to have a bag over your head the whole time when you "hookup" :P

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

Sounds very ugly people friendly. Does it at least let you choose the age-range of the other person???

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

Wow! This sounds terrible. Wasn't the idea of a traditional blind date that even though you don't know the person's personality, nor have you seen them, you were set up by a mutual friend, who knew you well enough to make a reasonably good guess that you would get on well. This sounds like sheer, unqualified stranger-meeting, and highly unsafe.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2013, 5:46 pm

Wow! This sounds terrible. Wasn't the idea of a traditional blind date that even though you don't know the person's personality, nor have you seen them, you were set up by a mutual friend, who knew you well enough to make a reasonably good guess that you would get on well. This sounds like sheer, unqualified stranger-meeting, and highly unsafe.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

LordExiron wrote:

Generally a traditional blind date was facilitated by a mutual friend...

This app is HORRIBLE and in my area would just result in me spending a lot of time and money trying to flee the scene without getting offending anyone..