Page 4 of 20 [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:45 am

^^^ This is a very real phenomenon - many people, trends, musicians, etc. are popular simply because someone says they are.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

It's a combination of things really. The human mind is complex and is of infinite variations but there are a lot of commonalities as well.

Concerning good looks, good looks (and by "good looks" I mean what's considered by the majority to be "good looks" within the context of the culture one is in) do help open more doors for the person with such good looks than for those who don't. But then that's just only one factor among many others that potentially lead to success.

But then again, sometimes being good looking can be a curse as well. It's all circumstantial.

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

it really is very very simple, but its wishful thinking to think its complex and there are a lot of factors etc..

looks are objective when it comes the VAST MAJORITY of men in evaluating women for a romantic relationship. theres a large agreement on what makes bad looks as well as good.

take sarah jessica parker. no matter how much hype, huge hit tv show, successful woman, fashion icon, confident, loads of makeup and style, blah blah blah, men have always called her a horseface. men dont think shes sexy. why? her facial features. confidence doesnt do s** for that. since this is the love and dating forum, not the general lifestyles forum, i think that proves quite a lot about what really makes the difference.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

bluerose wrote:
it really is very very simple, but its wishful thinking to think its complex and there are a lot of factors etc..

looks are objective when it comes the VAST MAJORITY of men in evaluating women for a romantic relationship. theres a large agreement on what makes bad looks as well as good.

take sarah jessica parker. no matter how much hype, huge hit tv show, successful woman, fashion icon, confident, loads of makeup and style, blah blah blah, men have always called her a horseface. men dont think shes sexy. why? her facial features. confidence doesnt do s** for that. since this is the love and dating forum, not the general lifestyles forum, i think that proves quite a lot about what really makes the difference.

It's not until recently people started calling her a horse face. She still had a career in the 1990's and early 2000's.

While she's not as ugly as everyone says she is, Hollywood romcoms typically feature more attractive women.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

And then this happens too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CemLiSI5ox8[/youtube]

Dating can be so complicated

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 6:00 pm

Until about 1.5 weeks ago, I worked as the fitness floor supervisor of an upscale CT gym. Membership there consists of mostly well-to-do folks of varying ages; the majority of the folks I worked with during my shifts were retirees and senior citizens.

At least once per shift (and I'm not kidding), someone would comment on my appearance - complimenting me on my flawless complexion, my fit/trim physique, my "enviable" height, my hair, and the like. Men and women alike - all oldsters, mind you - asked if I modeled; when I told them that the modeling industry considers girls my age far too old to begin a modeling career (I *may* be full of sh1t, though, I dunno...haven't really investigated lately :roll:), they scoffed and told me that I ought to head right down to NYC and get myself an agent.

I know I've posted this elsewhere at WP, but when it comes to guys near to my own age (or much younger, which is what I prefer)...well, I could wait - and actually *have* waited - effing years to receive so much as a compliment, or a glance, or even a smile. I might as well not even exist to men under 65. As I've lamented in other threads, guys don't even speak to me, let alone ask me out. I've been alone for most of my adult life, as a result.

Does that mean, then, that I'm only attractive to old people, and that my "looks," such as they are, exist in some sort of vacuum? I don't get it...and it's gotten REALLY old. :evil: :cry:

~Steve Jobs

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
but i am neither one of those groups (the admirers of Wolfheart or hale_bopp, or the members themselves), so what happens with them doesn't matter. like, it literally has no effect on my life. they can go and do their thing and form a hot club+admirers, and it would not matter in the slightest.

they might have a slightly easier life, but how does it benefit me to care about it? if i do focus on their shenanigans, i think it would actually have a detrimental effect on my chances, because i'd be staring after their flirty pack and getting jealous and bitter instead of noticing all of the other wonderful single people around me who aren't the popular ones and hangers-on.

This is t about how you'd like it to be for you and others. This was about how there is a pattern to what good looks are made of

no, it isn't about how i'd like it to be, it's about how it actually is for me. you never answered my direct question, by the way:

hyperlexian wrote:
i don't think it necessarily means much in a person's life - mileage varies really. i mean, has it meant much in your life that people consider you goodlooking? has it opened doors for you?

This conversation isn't about easier lifestyle or aythingnof the matter. Its about there being a general guideline for what is attractive.

It hasn't made a difference because the people that consider me good looking haven't actually seen me. They've seen me from the only angle I find myself acceptable in. I doubt anyone here has seen a side profile picture of me or whatnot. So its not exactly a fair comparison. But as evidenced by the careers of many pretty celeb compared to not so pretty ones (majorly actors) then you would see it was a lot easier for those that had a better fit on the attractive qualities list.

Yeah, I think I am uglier in 3D too.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:13 pm

I just wanna quickly point out that there have been a myriad of sociological studies indicating that attractive people get paid more than ugly people. God bless humanity!

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:19 pm

Shau wrote:
I just wanna quickly point out that there have been a myriad of sociological studies indicating that attractive people get paid more than ugly people. God bless humanity!
\

Alllllllrighty, then. 8O :roll:

~Steve Jobs

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:26 pm

Shau wrote:

Not only that but there have been studies saying that people find attractive people "More trustworthy"....

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

rabbittss wrote:
Shau wrote:

Not only that but there have been studies saying that people find attractive people "More trustworthy"....

Well, then, I guess I should learn to love being the monkey wrench in everyone's plan, or the exception to every rule... :evil: :roll:

~Steve Jobs

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I laugh when I hear people saying that Wikipedia isn't a good source of info, snobbish much? Still stuck in the Encarta and Britannica era?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

Maybe I prefer to be 'snobbish' about where I get my information and not just believe everything I read regardless of the source. Anyone can edit wikipedia and it's not even considered a valid source of information for college papers so I don't think it's the best source, lol if that makes me snobbish fine though I don't really see it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:42 pm

Shau wrote:

If god did exist, why the hell would that be a reason for him to bless humanity?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Shau wrote:

If god did exist, why the hell would that be a reason for him to bless humanity?

It would be his creation after all, why would someone dislike their own creation
Said by an atheist

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm

MXH wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Shau wrote:

It would be his creation after all, why would someone dislike their own creation
Said by an atheist

Because they are disappointed with it?....don't tell me you've never created anything you ended up disappointed with? Then again this is a god who sends people to hell for not loving and worshiping him so of course he'd approve of 'ugly' people being paid less why am I even asking that question. :?

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 9:57 pm

SINsister wrote:
Well, then, I guess I should learn to love being the monkey wrench in everyone's plan, or the exception to every rule... :evil: :roll:

Let me help you.

"Attractive people are, from a statistically significant standpoint, paid more than their less attractive counterparts. As this is a statistical thing, it does allow for exceptions, but such instances will be less common."

Sweetleaf wrote:

I swear, sometimes you lot make me feel like I'm not actually an Aspie, not that I'd consider that a bad thing.