Page 8 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:06 pm

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
ShelbyGt500 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
i will take it at face value that your claims are baseless.

You may be a moderator, but you are not the arbitrator of authenticity. I'm not going to give you the dignity of a further response.

you don't have to - it's entirely up to you. if you want to support your statements better, you can use Google Scholar to find credible sources of good information. it's better than drawing your own conclusions, as you can't really extrapolate anything about gender relations in our culture based on a facebook group.

First of all, I'm closing my WP account immediately after I make this post. Clearly, I was willing to spend my time to prepare a list of examples and I gave the Facebook group as a single member of a list that would have included many references. However, you have cast my response as if only the Facebook group would have been provided. I could smell this sort of distortion coming, which is why I disengaged with you. When moderators do such, it is time to get out.

i didn't distort anything at all - i said the same thing 3 times. if you want to provide some credible sources, feel free to do so. if you don't have any sources to provide (or don't want to provide any), then... don't. :) it doesn't matter either way.

if you want to have your account banned, please send a PM to a moderator or make a post in the moderator attention thread. that is the only way to have your account closed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:30 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
well then... why settle for an aspie? is it really so much different than settling for other mental differences?

Because of common differences/quirks & mutual interests. I find I just "click," very well with my aspie friends a lot better than I do others and can foresee an ASAS relationship possibly working out better than any other type - but I'm not necessarily opposed to NT or other.

And yes, it would be so much different than settling for other mental differences.. apples to oranges. Just because someone may get along well with an aspie doesn't mean they should automatically be open to dating a homicidal sociopath simply because they're another person with a mental difference and therefor should be just as good of a match. That's absurd. Yes, I know I've used an extreme example to prove my point, but it's proof nonetheless. If I find I get along well with other aspies, I'm going to be much more open to being with one, whereas if I find bipolar/schizophrenic/other people to be far more than I can handle, or want to be around, or neuro/personality types I clash with then why shouldn't I exclude them via a list of deal breakers? IMO, there's no good reason not to exclude them if they're personal deal breakers for me or you or whomever, especially since deal breakers are highly personal - which make them inappropriate for you, or anyone else, to judge.

i don't recall mentioning a "homicidal sociopath", nor did i mention that anyone should date one. people in the thread did mention other mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and depression. they also mentioned PTSD and rape survivors. i was shocked that aspies would be so quick to dismiss people with mental differences, when they are so very quick to defend themselves on the forum as viable dating partners. it is a double-standard.

if you find people with certain mental illnesses to be more than you can handle, then it would be perfectly reasonable to keep in mind that you could be difficult to handle because of your AS. there are many, many threads on the forum from partners trying to get help with handling an aspie. but of course, it isn't fair to assume to every aspie is difficult based on the experiences of a few, and that's what i think about other mental illnesses as well.

i am not saying that people definitely should date anyone at all, but i think it is dangerous to draw conclusions about any group of people based on their neurology. there are treatments, medicines, therapies, or cures for many illnesses. and just like aspies hate to be left out of the dating pool, it is equally harsh to treat anyone else like that without even knowing them first. if i said that ALL aspies are difficult to get along with in relationships, i would not be fair to them, as clearly aspies are individuals. it is the same for all mental differences and illnesses.

As stated, I used a hyperbole to prove my point.

It's not a double standard. It's a preference. We're familiar with AS in ourselves and comfortable around other AS people. I have several AS friends and we just get along a heck of a lot better. We're simply more compatible and forgiving of each others like quirks - and often don't even notice them in each other, as things just seem to flow more naturally. I say this because I've had close AS friends for longer than I've known I'm on the spectrum and only recently realized they are, too. AS+AS, especially with mutual special interests, = compatible.

As you said, if it's more than you can handle... and in general, it is. It's enough for me to handle & treat myself, I don't want/need the added burden of having to handle & treat someone else with a different mental affliction that likely causes more severe problems than I face. F that, 100% complete deal breaker right there. If they've managed to treat themselves so successfully that their condition is virtually invisible, well, maybe. But have to deal with someone who's going through some serious mental problems due to schizophrenia or some other condition that makes them unpredictable, abusive, violent, or some other generalized type of bat s**t crazy? No thanks, I'd never sign up for that s**t. As cold and callous as that may sound, it is what it is and I'm simply being honest and transparent about it.

Aside: I do know some schizophrenics and bipolar people. I'm not against having them as friends, but not interested in having them as a more than friends romantic relationship type thing - especially if they're currently going through a "low," due to their condition and their life is in shambles, and especially so if I just met them. Meanwhile, one schizophrenic guy I know thanked myself and my twin brother for being such accepting friends and including him in social gatherings while he was going through some pretty rough times. Apparently we had made a big impact on his life and didn't realize it. He thanked us both again at his brother's wedding, too, and made a point of sharing this with his gf/wife. My brother and I were rather confused as we hadn't felt we'd done anything in particular to deserve such an honour as he was projecting, but maybe that's why.. because we treated him just as we would have any one of our other friends and there was no obvious over-friendliness for the sake of being nice to him because of his current mental health state. Maybe that's what he appreciated. I'll probably never know for sure.

Likewise, if my own traits & symptoms are beyond what someone else can handle I wouldn't expect them to bend over backwards and change their life for me, so if my AS is a deal breaker for them - so be it, that's life. It's up to me to do whatever hard work is required to improve myself, not the other way around.

In a third scenario, for a period of 2-3 months my AS and depression symptoms were so ridiculously strongly off the charts high that I refused to subject my friends to me because it didn't feel right to do so. I was in such a state that I knew I couldn't be around them, or anyone, and so went off and did things in solitude instead (a lot of hiking in the mountains) & stayed home otherwise (reading and learning at least.) until I could sort myself out and become a more suitable version of myself to be around again. Figured things out, sorted myself, and have since become a lot more social with my friends again - but I at least had the presence of mind to think "in my current state, this is a dealbreaker for ME, I can't subject my friends to me or any of this right now until I'm better and back to my old self again however that has to happen." So, dealbreakers (when they come to mental health) aren't always just about self serving personal preferences & our capacity to accept or tolerate or help etc, but also the preference not to be a burden on others you care about.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

Greb wrote:
Lilya wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
ShelbyGt500 wrote:
Lilya wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:
Rape/molestation victim

I found especially this one unfairly harsh. You do realize how many women get at least molested in their lifetime? Besides, if your girlfriend would be raped when in a relationship with her, would you dump her because of that? 8O

I think the guy who wrote this is in Canada. In North America, where I am located, the general population of women is predominately anti-male. It is very easy for a North American woman to generalize a single incident with one man into general mistrust and hatred toward all men in a way the preempts a successful relationship. There is an "every man should be regarded as a potential rapist" undercurrent within Feminism. I suspect he is not trying to be harsh toward victims of crime, rather he is facing the reality of the situation.

So? He just named a list of exclusion criteria, which I find utterly ret*d. There are always amazing people that are not going to fit one or two of those criteria.
I study psychology, Many rape victims around the world have trust issues, but many of them can overcome these problems for a large part and even become amazing partners if they have recieved proper therapy and help in the past. Why would you stigmatise a whole diverse group?

^^^^ This.
I am a rape victim myself and I don't know any young woman who hasn't been sexually harassed during their lives.

This has never prevented me from having a loving, trusting relationship and have a lot of wonderful male friends and an active dating and sex life. This is also the case with any female friend that I have.

Frankly, I find generalizing that all molested women are "undateable" due to events they can't have had any influence on just as stupid as generalizing that all men are rapists.

In my opinion, this is not about women considered undateables, but about how people nowadays are becoming more and more selfish and don't want to make any investment in any relation if the payback is not guaranteed. A molested victim involves a risk, since this person can or can not overcome her issues. But the same applies to child abuse, or people chronically depresssed, or shy people, or any people in the world that need some kind of support and trust to go ahead.

The paradox here is that us, as aspergers, we need trust and support to develop our best. Whe should know the value of the empathy since we are the first ones to need it. Unfortunately, being asperger is not always a synonime of being fair.

Alright, even though I've already explained why this was on my list...
Quote:
I'm aware those victims can't help it, but I have been with several, and it's just too much for me to handle.. It's not exactly easy to understand that she can't have sex with you, or much less with her eyes open, because she'll have "flashbacks" to her father molesting her..... what the f**k kind of sex life is that? I have a hard enough time with 'normal' girls, being unable to read non-verbal ques, throw all that mess in and I was completely hopeless.

I'm going to elaborate.

I don't know what I would do if a girl I was dating had it happen to her.. I imagine I wouldn't have to leave, the relationship would just fall apart.

Quote:
I suspect he is not trying to be harsh toward victims of crime, rather he is facing the reality of the situation.

Quite. This isn't about "oh god she was raped she's undateable"... They are entirely dateable if you can wrap your head around it. I can barely understand women in the first place, it's just not something I can handle. I tried to, for 2 years, and it drove me insane.

Quote:
I study psychology, Many rape victims around the world have trust issues, but many of them can overcome these problems for a large part and even become amazing partners if they have recieved proper therapy and help in the past. Why would you stigmatise a whole diverse group?

Watch out we got a badass over here... I study Philosophy, Neuropsychology, Cognitive Science, and Psychoanalysis. If you'd like to really get into the nitty gritty of all of this, I can.

When it comes down to it, a large part of it comes down to the fact that I just cannot personally handle it. I (unfortunately) have a lot of experience with it, and I have tried to look past it or understand. It has left me feeling as though I now have some kind of sexual damage in my psyche, I am not about to just allow myself to keep being damaged. If you would like specifics, I'm not posting them here.

Quote:
I am a rape victim myself and I don't know any young woman who hasn't been sexually harassed during their lives.

This is ridiculous, you make it sound like all men are rapists or "sexual harassers".

Bottom Line:
These are sensitive subjects with people, as clearly evidenced by this thread... as such, they are subjects which I would like to not have to deal with in any of my future serious relationships. The same reason "militant feminist" is on my list. I just really don't put up with people talking about this stuff, it's really rather pointless. Only online do I come across any of it, where human interaction can be reduced down to whatever this is.
In the real world, people are neurotic and their past experiences shape who they are. I have had a rather innocent past with my messed up relationships, substance abuse and mental illness aside... everything was self inflicted anyway. I have no delusions of victim mentality, and I cannot empathize with it, as hard as I have tried to.
That is my personal choice, and I'm sticking to it. If you don't like it, you can take a number.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 4:52 pm

So? What's up with the 'we got a badass'? Infantile. I'm not trying to challenge you, I am just stating a fact. And I think it's plain stupid to turn down someone for that reason. What if she is the most amazing person and partner and 6 months down the line she tells you she's a rape victim? Are you all of a sudding going to dump her?

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
So? What's up with the 'we got a badass'? Infantile. I'm not trying to challenge you, I am just stating a fact. And I think it's plain stupid to turn down someone for that reason. What if she is the most amazing person and partner and 6 months down the line she tells you she's a rape victim? Are you all of a sudding going to dump her?

Never seen this?

I wasn't trying to challenge you either, I just find it hilarious that every 20 something year old thinks they studies "Psychology" because they have the internet.

If I were with her for 6 months, there are two scenarios;

1. I haven't noticed anything weird about her, especially sexually.. because there is nothing wrong with her and she's somehow made peace with it or whatever. That's all good.
2. I haven't noticed anything weird about her, especially sexually.. because she's a really good liar and has been pretending to be someone she is not. Dumping her.

P.s: I have actually been in this scenario, it was #2, and trusting her went right out the window.
I probably would have broken up with her, if she hadn't told me a few days before we moved in together that the past 6ish months she had been lying and being someone she wasn't just to get me to like her.

As I have said, I have my personal reasons for this choice, if you don't like it, it's really not my f*****g problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:13 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:

I can't speak for unwonkdm, but I think everyone here has been pretty clear that if someone's past or mental health condition or ____ is dealt with, treated, behind them, invisible and virtually undetectable that they'd be open to the possibility of a relationship with them.. it's when there's a bunch of baggage and BS to deal with because of their PTSD symptoms or various types of mental breaks etc that many people, myself included, just aren't interested in signing up for. f**k that s**t.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if someone is specifically attracted to broken needy people who they can help fix and they have an interest in being there for them through all of these rough times, well those people can go pair up with the ones that are like that to their hearts' content.

Just because these things are deal breakers for some of us doesn't make us bad people. You may consider baldness a deal breaker, or obesity, or not speaking English... or or or. We all have our deal breakers & they simply are what they are and thats it. Stop trying to sell others on changing their own personal deal breakers because of your beliefs and experiences. It's not going to change anything about what I am or am not attracted to, or what I personally hold as a deal breaker or not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

bucephalus wrote:
no-one mentioned cruelty to animals in this thread yet? strange dealbreakers. So basically, new partners can be peadophiles so long they haven't been subject to sexual assault, or are suffering from a touch of depression. This website has shown itself to be full of sick bastards. I never realised people on the spectrum could be so disgusting; no wonder there's so many complaints of difficulty finding dates

I think "Abusive", "Criminal" and "Sociopathic Behavior" pretty much have those dealbreakers covered.

But if you want to elaborate on every aspect of abusers, criminals and/or sociopaths, then knock your socks off! Just don't forget to mention those fine people who make sweeping generalizations based on the assumptions they make before learning all of the facts; such behavior is also a social dealbreaker for many people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:

I can't speak for unwonkdm, but I think everyone here has been pretty clear that if someone's past or mental health condition or ____ is dealt with, treated, behind them, invisible and virtually undetectable that they'd be open to the possibility of a relationship with them.. it's when there's a bunch of baggage and BS to deal with because of their PTSD symptoms or various types of mental breaks etc that many people, myself included, just aren't interested in signing up for. f**k that sh**.

You can't speak for me, but in this case you have.
Exactly.

There is a reason I have used the phrase "victim mentality" a few times. Some people have something happen to them (including things that are somewhat [debatable] self inflicted like depression) and they resort to seeing themselves as a victim. I am guilty of this in the past, and there is NO helping someone like that; being in a relationship with them will only pull you down and make you as miserable as they are. That is all they want, they might not be aware of it, but they just want someone to feel what they do so they're not so alone.
I'll f*****g pass on that s**t, thanks.

Not to mention that I don't have the most stable mental health myself, so I really don't need that kind of s**t dragging me down.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

Quote:
I'm aware those victims can't help it, but I have been with several, and it's just too much for me to handle.. It's not exactly easy to understand that she can't have sex with you, or much less with her eyes open, because she'll have "flashbacks" to her father molesting her..... what the f**k kind of sex life is that? I have a hard enough time with 'normal' girls, being unable to read non-verbal ques, throw all that mess in and I was completely hopeless.

It sounds like your ex had a particularly dreadful past. The rape survivors that I know (and I know quite a few) including myself have been able to have "normal" sex and love lives sooner or later after the events. I think you are generalizing quite a bit. I hope your ex received all the help she needs.

uwmonkdm wrote:
I don't know what I would do if a girl I was dating had it happen to her.. I imagine I wouldn't have to leave, the relationship would just fall apart.

My ex's and my relationship survived it (we broke up more than two years later for very different reasons) and he was supporting me the whole time. It also didn't harm our love or sex life at all after I had had some time to recover. I couldn't imagine a lover who wouldn't support their partner when they needed him/her the most... If you are in a relationship, you have to realize that everything isn't always rosy. There will be ups and downs of varying level and you have to learn how to work together in order to overcome them. The strength of the relationship really comes to show in harsh times like this.

uwmonkdm wrote:
Quite. This isn't about "oh god she was raped she's undateable"... They are entirely dateable if you can wrap your head around it. I can barely understand women in the first place, it's just not something I can handle. I tried to, for 2 years, and it drove me insane.

In other words, one girl has shaped your ideas about the matter.

uwmonkdm wrote:
When it comes down to it, a large part of it comes down to the fact that I just cannot personally handle it. I (unfortunately) have a lot of experience with it, and I have tried to look past it or understand. It has left me feeling as though I now have some kind of sexual damage in my psyche, I am not about to just allow myself to keep being damaged. If you would like specifics, I'm not posting them here.

It sounds like this really is about your personal problems more than any girl's experience so I can't take offence of most of your comments. The best of luck for you.

Quote:

uwmonkdm wrote:
This is ridiculous, you make it sound like all men are rapists or "sexual harassers".

Getting raped is indeed ridiculous :evil: That is a sick way to put it, frankly.

It is a solid fact whether you like it or not. You may also read the statistics on the matter which are harsh reading. There's no point trying to avoid the matter by trying refer it as another men/women argument.

I have the most wonderful male friends one can possibly have, who I'd trust with my life. It's another statistical fact that rapists and especially "sexual harassers" unfortunately often have several victims.

uwmonkdm wrote:

Bottom Line:
These are sensitive subjects with people, as clearly evidenced by this thread... as such, they are subjects which I would like to not have to deal with in any of my future serious relationships. The same reason "militant feminist" is on my list. I just really don't put up with people talking about this stuff, it's really rather pointless. Only online do I come across any of it, where human interaction can be reduced down to whatever this is.
In the real world, people are neurotic and their past experiences shape who they are. I have had a rather innocent past with my messed up relationships, substance abuse and mental illness aside... everything was self inflicted anyway. I have no delusions of victim mentality, and I cannot empathize with it, as hard as I have tried to.
That is my personal choice, and I'm sticking to it. If you don't like it, you can take a number.

I doubt your average rape victim would be rubbing it to your face too frequently. Generally speaking only when the topic comes up.

It is your personal choice and you are entitled to it, as well as I have the right for an opinion that your views are distorted on the matter.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

Lilya wrote:
It is your personal choice and you are entitled to it, as well as I have the right for an opinion that your views are distorted on the matter.

Just as yours are based on your experiences.

Absolutely everyone is going to have a personal bias about almost everything that stems from their experiences in life.

While you state that it's his personal choice and he's entitled to it, you come across as trying to persuade him/others that their personal choice is "wrong," and needs to be corrected to fit your point of view. That's the only issue I have with your arguments.

Disregard if you're truly accepting that others' personal preferences and biases are theirs to have and hold & set deal breakers by, even if you wouldn't hold the same belief nor set the same boundary or deal breaker.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 6:18 pm

Uhh ... ladies? A moment, please ...

We're men. We deal best with male issues. Female issues confuse us, at best. Just ask your favorite guy to fetch that big, blue box from the drug store ("... be sure it says 'Maxi' on the front!"), and watch him break into a cold sweat and look for an escape route.

Rape is a traumatic, violent act. Most of us men have never been raped, and the depictions of rape we see in movies and on the telly don't even come close to the horror and the terror of the act. For a woman to live through such a crime without physical injury and without having to endure some form of emotional trauma (PTSD) as well would be miraculous.

But we're men. One of our urges is to fix things; to make them "all better". What we can't fix frustrates us, even when those things are part of someone we love. We can not fix what happened; we can not make it go away for you. We can only stand there, helpless, while you relive the most horrendous assault of your lives.

I am sorry, but some guys just can not deal with that, and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! We reach into our emotional tool bags and come up empty-handed every time, and our frustration grows, and it is not fair to you.

Even worse is when we say something to you, touch you, or give you a look that has you screaming "HE DID THAT TOO!" as you run away to cower behind a locked door.

Some guys can handle this, however. Some guys will make every effort to help you deal with the destruction and emotional fallout. Some will even attend counseling sessions with you and give you every other means of support to help you grow out of that awful moment and help you recover.

But not all of us are like that. Some of us can barely deal with our own issues. For these guys, claiming a woman's past rape as a deal-breaker may actually be a good thing - they would likely just make things worse for you, and it is better for you if they just stay away.

If a man can't deal with your feelings in a constructive way, then you are better off without him.

Respectfully,

Fnord

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 6:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
bucephalus wrote:
no-one mentioned cruelty to animals in this thread yet? strange dealbreakers. So basically, new partners can be peadophiles so long they haven't been subject to sexual assault, or are suffering from a touch of depression. This website has shown itself to be full of sick bastards. I never realised people on the spectrum could be so disgusting; no wonder there's so many complaints of difficulty finding dates

I think "Abusive", "Criminal" and "Sociopathic Behavior" pretty much have those dealbreakers covered.

But if you want to elaborate on every aspect of abusers, criminals and/or sociopaths, then knock your socks off! Just don't forget to mention those fine people who make sweeping generalizations based on the assumptions they make before learning all of the facts; such behavior is also a social dealbreaker for many people.
fair point. At least you bothered to address my outburst. I suppose I'm not planning to date myself, so hypocrisy is not a danger for me.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Lilya wrote:

Absolutely everyone is going to have a personal bias about almost everything that stems from their experiences in life.

While you state that it's his personal choice and he's entitled to it, you come across as trying to persuade him/others that their personal choice is "wrong," and needs to be corrected to fit your point of view. That's the only issue I have with your arguments.

Disregard if you're truly accepting that others' personal preferences and biases are theirs to have and hold & set deal breakers by, even if you wouldn't hold the same belief nor set the same boundary or deal breaker.

Probably because I am trying to persuade him and make him see another point of view. I don't see it as a negative to try to challenge someone's views and to be fair, I do see uwmonkdm's views as distorted and narrow-minded if you don't mind me being frank. I also see it as a double standard when someone (not just him specifically) admits that they have "baggage" or mental disorders, but demand their potential partner to be completely free of them.

I can't save the world, but I can keep trying. And I've never said my ideals are better than anyone else's. I can still speak of a topic I know enough of, which is slightly different matter.

Last edited by Lilya on 09 Apr 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

Thank you for your post Fnord.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 9:29 pm

Lilya wrote:
Thank you for your post Fnord.

Seconded.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 9:50 pm

Lilya wrote:
In other words, one girl has shaped your ideas about the matter.

Three girls, actually. Plus two others that I was friends with.

Lilya wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Lilya wrote:

Probably because I am trying to persuade him and make him see another point of view. I don't see it as a negative to try to challenge someone's views and to be fair, I do see uwmonkdm's views as distorted and narrow-minded if you don't mind me being frank. I also see it as a double standard when someone (not just him specifically) admits that they have "baggage" or mental disorders, but demand their potential partner to be completely free of them.

I can't save the world, but I can keep trying. And I've never said my ideals are better than anyone else's. I can still speak of a topic I know enough of, which is slightly different matter.

My views are not distorted, or narrow-minded. I believe Fnord did a good job of explaining exactly why this has become a "deal-breaker" for me.
I said I'm not perfectly mentally stable, that doesn't mean I have "baggage" or mental disorders. The baggage I actually do have, is from dealing with these women who were victims of assault, rape, molestation whatever; I finally had a "normal" relationship and I couldn't even take part in a normal sex life because of it.

I understand your point of view, but you should see the point of view that most women who go through this type of trauma are not peachy at the end of it. They don't recover and return to having a 'normal' sex life as you seem to think they do. The majority of my life over the last 5 years has been spent seeing this first hand; so don't tell me I'm wrong when I've seen it with my own eyes.
I tried to be understanding, I did everything they would ask of me, I would be patient.. nothing ever changed. Is it really that big of a deal that I would prefer to just avoid that situation entirely in the future after it has caused me such a great deal of pain and trouble?

My choices when it comes to romantic relationships are for my best interest and what will make me happier, so f**k off if you think you have the right to tell me what those choices should be.
You're not changing the world, you're arguing a pointless argument on the internet, go read a book.