Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 7:26 am

My husband is a surgeon and he works with a man who has an obvious case of Aspergers. He simply cannot look anyone in the eye and does not make any small talk. His office is meticulous. However, this man is an extremely talented vascular surgeon and has a wife and two kids. So, let's just say Aspergers can make things more difficult but not impossible. There is another pain management doctor who works with my husband. His kids have Aspergers and other minor conditions, and his wife thinks that he (the doctor) has a mild case of Aspergers. I imagine there are as many successful people who have the condition as much as those who don't, but many have figured out ways to not let it stand in the way of their dreams. This is not to say that it is not a legitimate disability, but many people DO learn to compensate, get laid, have successful careers and get married and have kids. These are people who have the condition but are not reflected in the statistics, because they learned to adapt and function so have no reason to identify with a disability. Who are the most vocal? Probably the ones whose lives have been most negatively affected by it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 7:31 am

^ so OP, become a surgeon lol.

there's a small advice I gave it to a parent, maybe you can apply some on yourself:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
How autistic are your two boys? Are they the type that strangers in the room with them would notice there's something odd about them?

They were both dx'd with PDD-NOS. The older one went through intensive Early Intervention and the other one is mild PDD-NOS and is currently undergoing Early Intervention. Both of them you wouldn't necessarily know from looking at them that they are on the spectrum unless you knew what to look for. With the older one it comes out in his literal thinking, his special interests, sensory issues, difficulty with transitions, his inability to navigate in groups, sporadic eye contact/selective hearing, his inability to control/recover from his anger, and overstimulation at parties. His repetitive behaviors are much diminished and he can now make a back-and-forth conversation and makes much more eye contact than previously, and will even engage in pretend play which he didn't before. My youngest still has no speech, makes sporadic eye contact, has various sensory issues, gets overstimulated at parties and has repetitive behaviors. Both children are still very self-directed.

Quote:
As a mother of two boys on the spectrum, I am at a loss how to even begin to teach them how to navigate the screwed up world of dating.

You can teach only them good manners, respect, kindness, hygiene... you know, the common matters to make a good personality.

You can't directly teach them how to do that, but instead you can help them to become the type of men who are desirable by a large portion of women - hence making their dating navigation easier and more effective (more choices = less desperate = higher probability of finding a good match = Power of choice).

Social confidence is attractive but it comes after successes and achievements, not the other way around, it's the product of success, good self-esteem, positive self-image and having relatively aceptable social skills.

Here are some things you can do:

- Height: Let's face it, many women love tall men in general (Ooops! a generalization, kill me members! kill me! duh) and most women love men to be taller than themselves so the more inches the more prospects , there are genetic limitations to height but you can help them with natural Growth hormone boosters, there are some types of foods that do that, seek them up on the internet and get what's available in your area, also there are other type of food that block growth hormone like processed sugar.

- Don't be a helicopter parent: Google how to not be one, that would allow them to grow better and more mature adults, it would allow them to take responsibility.

- Don't let them become limited to geeky activities: Girls usually don't like the typical geeks, even geek girls themselves (oops, another sweeping generalization! I am gonna die!). And geeks girls are so rare, in a local forum for geeks, the total number of females there are ...2.

Geeks are so portrayed negatively in the media (losers, virgins forever, ugly...etc), not attractive image per se.
If your boys have geeky interests and are geek in general, then don't let them to totally give up to just geeky activities like gaming and computers. Encourage them to have non-geek outdoor activities too, like sports, camping and music ,those would boost their social lives.

Now geek enthusiasts might tell you "if they are geek then let them be geek and pride!" - yea right, keep in mind that life is lived once and believe me, if you go to geek forums you'll find that a lot of them are depressed and not content with their lives, especially with their love lives.

If they have geeky tendency then don't let your boys to grow into typical geeks, instead support them to grow into individuals with geeky interests but not limited to them.

- At least one martial arts sport: It would boost their discipline and self-esteem and it would allow them to stand up against bullies at school, and no, you can't do anything about the bullying there, they are on their own there and they have to deal with it by themselves. Telling the principles won't do, you want to stop bullies from bullying them? Then let them get the skill and strength to punch the bully on the face and make him an example in front of others, that's the only way to stop the bullies, I bet that a bullying-victim isn't attractive and yes bullies (boys) tend to bully victims (boys) in front of girls for greater humiliation.

The younger to enroll in a martial art, the better. Their father should encourage them the most.

- Certain sport activities: Cycling, skating, bowling, horseriding ....those are typical "couple sports", encourage them to get involved in such sports. Aspies usually suck at ball/team sports like football, but there's no reason why they wouldn't learn well some of the solo sports I've mentioned.

- At least one floor dancing activity: It would at least teach them how to not move like monkeys on the dancing floor. Women love dancing and love men who dance well (OOPS I am not gonna survive this thread!***).

- At least one musical instrument: If they are passionate for a certain type of music then encourage them to learn how to play an instrument related to that type of music. ie. if they love heavy metal then encourage them to learn playing on electric guitar, not violin or piano...etc

- Grooming: Use your woman sense on this matter, if they are wearing something too off tell them girls won't like that. Follow up with the latest mainstream fashion and haircut trends.

- Encourage them to start dating at a young age: If they're 15-16 years old already and not dating yet then ask them why, experience is key even if they're gonna get screwed at first.

PS: If you are limited in budget then you can always find alternative solutions, like if you have a relative who dances well then he might help them at that, or if there some of those things you or your husband know to do then don't hesitate to teach them....

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 7:53 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

there's a small advice I gave it to a parent, maybe you can apply some on yourself:

I have a much better solution. I am going to let my NT husband advise my sons on the convoluted world of picking up chicks.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 8:20 am

mikassyna wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I have a much better solution. I am going to let my NT husband advise my sons on the convoluted world of picking up chicks.

The OP doesn't have a NT husband, the whole post was for the OP.

You're starting to annoy me btw.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:29 pm

OP, this is what worked for me; I didn't lose my virginity before the age of 20 and didn't have a serious relationship before the age of 21:

- Get the f*ck out of the house.

- Don't listen to anyone who says "just be yourself", "It'll happen when you least expect it" etc. It happens when a man has made a considerable effort, risked rejection and humiliation and not screwed anything up on the first dates.

- Yes, most girls do care about experience, even though they won't admit it. If you're over 18 and haven't had a relationship, you have to tell a white lie. In return, if you do lie, dating girls over 18 is easier than dating girls below 18. The former have more individual tastes and doesn't automatically think that pretty boys that look like sparkling vampires are attractive.

- Don't be afraid of one-night stands. They won't cure your loneliness, but they'll give you experience and will relieve sexual tension the way jacking off won't. Women like sex JUST AS MUCH as men do. Women who complain about being used, are only doing so because they take sex for granted.

- Since aspies don't have social intuition, you're gonna have to compensate for this somehow. As a boy, you're automatically born into a popularity contest; girls care a lot about social popularity and what the media deems as "cool". to compensate for this, brush your teeth after every meal, exercise hard and seriously and get a good education.

- Try online dating; just don't message girls where the profile picture has MySpace angles, Photoshop filters or high contrast.

- Make new friends. Lack of friends is a major red flag to many girls and friends will make both school and spare time more enjoyable.

- Don't be someone's emotional tampon (i.e. "just friends" after a failed date). Real friends won't dump their problems onto you to boost their egos; they'll go to concerts with you, they'll talk to you about interesting stuff like video games and exercise and some girls even sleep with their friends. Nobody will realize what a great guy you actually are just because you boost their egos.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:41 pm

Kurgan wrote:
OP, this is what worked for me; I didn't lose my virginity before the age of 20 and didn't have a serious relationship before the age of 21:

- Don't listen to anyone who says "just be yourself", "It'll happen when you least expect it" etc. It happens when a man has made a considerable effort, risked rejection and humiliation and not screwed anything up on the first dates.

- Yes, most girls do care about experience, even though they won't admit it. If you're over 18 and haven't had a relationship, you have to tell a white lie. In return, if you do lie, dating girls over 18 is easier than dating girls below 18. The former have more individual tastes and doesn't automatically think that pretty boys that look like sparkling vampires are attractive.

- Don't be afraid of one-night stands. They won't cure your loneliness, but they'll give you experience and will relieve sexual tension the way jacking off won't. Women like sex JUST AS MUCH as men do. Women who complain about being used, are only doing so because they take sex for granted.

- Since aspies don't have social intuition, you're gonna have to compensate for this somehow. As a boy, you're automatically born into a popularity contest; girls care a lot about social popularity and what the media deems as "cool". to compensate for this, brush your teeth after every meal, exercise hard and seriously and get a good education.

- Try online dating; just don't message girls where the profile picture has MySpace angles, Photoshop filters or high contrast.

- Make new friends. Lack of friends is a major red flag to many girls and friends will make both school and spare time more enjoyable.

- Don't be someone's emotional tampon (i.e. "just friends" after a failed date). Real friends won't dump their problems onto you to boost their egos; they'll go to concerts with you, they'll talk to you about interesting stuff like video games and exercise and some girls even sleep with their friends. Nobody will realize what a great guy you actually are just because you boost their egos.

I name you: The Man of L&D

Down to earth, very practical and realistic, pure awesomeness.

I wish I had started doing what I am doing now since age 15.

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
Want my advice? Get out of your house, do what you are passionate about? Do you like painting? playing an instrument? playing in a soccer/football team? Get out and take part in some activities. Join a gym, hit your muscles hard on a regular basis, find out what you want to do financially and in your career and focus on that.
Some of us on the AS spectrum though - the more dyspraxic side - have co-ordination issues so that activities such as you described are not really enjoyable or something we would want to do. Most of what I am passionate about is academic, or as described above geeky, simply because that is what I am good at and do not face humiliation. Unfortunately these are also areas where girls are scarce. And then there is the knowledge that, even with all that removed you would be too weird to make much of a connection.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 3:16 pm

appletheclown wrote:
If you believe you are a broken man, you are a broken man. Believing you can do with what you have the things that NT's do, that is what I think I can do. They will think I am a 'broken man'? Wolfheart, seriously you believe that load of rubbish? Being an aspie just means you will have a harder time with with these things, it doesn't mean there are not women out there who don't think of you as a normal person. I am in no way broken, and will not waste my time with women who consider asd and autistic people as such, unless they are willing to learn. I am not broken, my no means at all. Asperger's break me? No I will break it.

Not broken in that sense but people do expect you to act or be a certain way if you fit a certain look when you are on the spectrum. In other words, the girl will see you as different and might try to change that instead of accepting your individualistic traits and talents, that is a difficult compromise. My Asperger's syndrome make me who I am in creativity and I do what I love creatively, that defines me but it is still difficult not being able to make friends easily.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Boo, I couldn't care less. You annoyed me when you wrote an essay and then messaged me to call attention to it when if I really wanted to respond I would have. So if I annoy you too, so be it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

mikassyna wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Boo, I couldn't care less. You annoyed me when you wrote an essay and then messaged me to call attention to it when if I really wanted to respond I would have. So if I annoy you too, so be it.

Oh, you're the same person! The parent of the two boys! I didn't notice it when I brought back my old post here. That's probably caused the confusion an you thought it was directed to you.

Oh so you got annoyed by my pm back then? You took it as attenion whoring from my side? You took it that offensively and personal?

Well...you clearly did then damn your way of thinking!! I pmed you out of caring because I believed my post can help your boys in their dating future.

Just to make it clear for the others, my pm to her only contained a link to my post, it was just for notification purpose, no one obliged her to reply to my "essay", she could compeletly ignore it.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 28 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 5:30 pm

Vincent, I apologize for carelessly mistaking your gender by not initially paying attention to your screen name. Anyway, I will say this to you:
First and foremost: Take care of your appearance and hygiene. If you have any NT friends or relatives, enlist them to help you shop for a few decent outfits that you can coordinate easily and wear. Keep yourself well groomed. Because you never know when a nice girl will cross your path. Sometimes it is hard to know if a girl is single, but unless there is an engagement or wedding ring on her finger, you can consider that all is fair game unless told otherwise. Go to events that cater to your special interests so that you have common ground and have something to talk about. Don't act desperate because girls hate the smell of desperation and it scares them wondering if your desperation will force them into something dangerous. Say a few words of compliment and then go about your business. Sometimes even saying something simple as "Hey" can get a girl's attention. Maybe 20 minutes later go back to her and see if she may be receptive to chatting more. If you have any relatives that could help you out, ask them to give you advice or go out with you to give pointers on specific things to improve in your delivery of lines, etc. It is hard to give specific advice because I don't know you, what you look like or how you act, but if you hole yourself up at home you will never get practice. Even NT guys are terrible at picking women up until they get lots of practice. So, the struggle is near universal, unless you live in a country of arranged marriages. Practice, practice, practice is key! Good luck! I hope this offers a little bit of help.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 6:44 pm

PS I will also add this--

If all one wants to do is get laid, you can simply pay someone. However, many girls will not go near a guy who they sense is just looking to get in their pants. If they do, they play games with guys like that, or they outwardly reject them. A girl wants to sense she is valued as a human being first, appreciated and admired for her good qualities. But she doesn't want a guy who has no other prospects. This is where it gets tricky. Because it's that old stupid Marx saying that "I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me as a member." If you exude some confidence (not desperation) that if the girl isn't your last resort or only hope, then she will likely see YOU as the prize and look to win you over the competition. Even if there is nobody else, you must have the confidence AS IF you had them lining up. Just don't be an a$$hole about it. It's about attitude. Be real and don't make it into a game otherwise you might not like the outcome.

Also, about having sex... Just because you CAN have sex doesn't mean you SHOULD. If you are unable to deal with the emotional ties or get too obsessive about it, then you shouldn't do it. Because that will creep a girl out and you might not make the best decisions, or worst yet, decisions that may get you into trouble with the wrong girl. So, you must be intellectually and emotionally ready these days to do that. Otherwise you may regret it. Just sayin.

Work on #1 and then the rest will follow. Don't let the people here set the example for you. You are the captain of your own ship. Envision a reality and go for it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:24 am

Quote:
So, the struggle is near universal, unless you live in a country of arranged marriages.

The male has to impress the groom's family (especially financially) in such cultures, so it's not really that easy as you might think.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:44 am

Don't look at it like that. Not everyone has problems, but it happens. You just have to learn to cope with it if it does happen. Not all of us are negative, but some of us have been hurt to the extent that we get that way. And then it projects as negativity.

boywonder
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 5:36 am

I never used to be damaged goods
We can rebuild him, make him stronger faster, better than before
We can fast, diet, exercise and lose 30lbs
We can make the worlds first
Happy and healthy aspie

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 8:25 am

appletheclown wrote:
PsychoSarah wrote:
1000Knives, I think appletheclown left the site a while back. Apparently, I have earned myself an internet stalker, which is weird, most of the time, guys avoid me :?

I'll stop, sorry I creeped you out. :(

It's cool, just no more boob talk. It freaks me out a bit. Girls do it to me too, I wonder why :chin: