Page 1 of 27 [ 425 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 6:35 am

There's a common belief that there's a new trend more leaning toward nerds/geeks and even seen as sexy and attractive, not true, and this one explained it best why:

http://www.lovelyish.com/2011/01/26/ner ... ally-sexy/

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 6:57 am

I consider myself a nerd, and I'm fairly certain my girlfriend finds me quite attractive.

One of my teachers actually calls me the top otaku in the school xD.

Author/Writer

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:05 am

Zodai wrote:
I consider myself a nerd, and I'm fairly certain my girlfriend finds me quite attractive.

One of my teachers actually calls me the top otaku in the school xD.

One can considers him/herself nerd all he/she wants. Megan Fox said she's a nerd because she tweets, oh well, then she must be nerd too.

It all goes down how you look like and how sociable you are, if both are extremely terrible then even your high nerdy intelligence often wouldn't compensate that (unless you're making big bucks out of this intelligence).

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:10 am

Anyone who knows less than 6 programming languages is hereby disallowed to call himself a "computer nerd". :) (and no, HTML is not a programming language [we may argue about HTML5])

I don't see anything nerdy about the guy on the right. He's a bit skinny and has glasses, but that's not a sufficient condition.

The_Funktasm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2013, 7:11 am

I was unaware the opinions of the masses mattered this much.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:17 am

The_Funktasm wrote:

Yeah, let's kill them all.

:roll:

The_Funktasm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2013, 7:22 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Funktasm wrote:

Should I even dignify that with more than this alone? No, I guess not. Have fun projecting.

Last edited by The_Funktasm on 15 May 2013, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:32 am

The_Funktasm wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Funktasm wrote:

Should I even dignify that with more than this alone?

You might think that saying that made you sound cool, someone who doesn't give a s**t about others' opinion and all that but it's not exactly the same, it made you sound living under a rock.

Truth is, opinions of the masses matter a lot, even here on WP, yes. That's why fashion exists, plastic surgeries too, that's why people often choose work skills that are marketable and in demand in the job market, that's why you should wear formal on a job interview, that's why guys here post their okcupid profiles for objective critique...etc

It's all about the opinions of the masses.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:35 am

"I´m nerdy and I know it..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lskNTCzdLNE (Starcraft nerds already will know it.) ^^

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 8:12 am

I like the girl on the left a lot better than I like Zooey.

And also, the Nintendo kid (the boy on the bottom left) is actually a member of this forum.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Truth is, opinions of the masses matter a lot, even here on WP, yes. That's why fashion exists, plastic surgeries too, that's why people often choose work skills that are marketable and in demand in the job market, that's why you should wear formal on a job interview, that's why guys here post their okcupid profiles for objective critique...etc

Yes and no. Most girls aren't truly attracted to real nerds however there is a large minority that are. It's about finding those types. Having to hide who you are from someone is the very foundation of a disasterious relationship.

Problem is that these "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept" types often prove to be just as shallow as the people who reject them and won't settle or even consider a mate that is similiarly "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept."

IMO, Aspies (and other socially awkward types) shouldn't be worrying so much about the opinions of the masses. Rather, they should be looking for the right minority who will "get" them. This is true in both a romantic and friendship context.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:38 am

Geekonychus wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Yes and no. Most girls aren't truly attracted to real nerds however there is a large minority that are. It's about finding those types. Having to hide who you are from someone is the very foundation of a disasterious relationship.

Yes, but if you are desirable let's say to 0.001% then you should something to improve that , no? Not necessarily by hiding who you are but you do need some improvements, you can't stay as you are.

Quote:
Problem is that these "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept" types often prove to be just as shallow as the people who reject them and won't settle or even consider a mate that is similiarly "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept."

True, but that's not the point of the article.

Quote:
IMO, Aspies (and other socially awkward types) shouldn't be worrying so much about the opinions of the masses. Rather, they should be looking for the right minority who will "get" them. This is true in both a romantic and friendship context.

The 0.001% argument again.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:50 am

Boo's right.

And what people say they want, isn't usually what they actually want. I know plenty of people who claim to love nerds, but they actually don't.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:54 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Yes, but if you are desirable let's say to 0.001% then you should something to improve that , no? Not necessarily by hiding who you are but you do need some improvements, you can't stay as you are.

Of course we should. Nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself a bit. Staying fit and dressing stylishly is something I've done and it pays off. Being more confident with myself (or at least putting on aires of confidence) has done more for me than anything else. I strive to be an improved version of myself rather than actually change anything. The improved version of me is just as much of a nerd, he's just not as insecure about it.

That being said, since there are roughly 3.5 Billion people of the opposite gender in the world that would would mean that that .001% you're talking about is made up of millions of people. The numbers game isn't as bad as it seems, you just need to figure out where to look.

Last edited by Geekonychus on 15 May 2013, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:57 am

Geekonychus wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Nothing wrong with trying to improve yourself a bit. Staying fit and dressing stylishly is something I've done and it pays off. Being more confident with myself (or at least putting on aires of confidence) has done more for me than anything else.

Secondly, since there are roughly 3.5 Billion people of the opposite gender in the world that would would mean that that .001% your talking about is made up of millions of people. The numbers game isn't as bad as it seems, you just need to figure out where to look.

Few thousands of people scattered in a big world, give me a private jet :lol:.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 15 May 2013, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:57 am

Boo you are right, I actually was able to get along with the college jocks, and I'm an aspie. I seem to feel I have social problems when I am home. But then when I am on my own, surrounded by lots of people, away from my parents, I somehow find it easy to make friends.