Page 11 of 27 [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 27  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,036
Location: CT, USA

16 May 2013, 12:52 pm

marshall wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
marshall wrote:
I know why I haven't posted in this subforum much. It's awkwardly cruel.

If you're an obese guy it's at least possible to bulk up on muscle and lose fat until you look like a football lineman with a bit of a gut rather than a blob. Hard work but maybe worth it. I think women can be attracted to the fat and strong look. You can try having a body like a jock even if you hate sports and are the biggest nerd.


Yeah, I've met ripped nerds before. Pretty cool. Furthermore, it's always possible to be as thin as you want just by regulating your food intake.


I think its harder than you think for people who have been fat before. Getting rid of all belly fat is really really hard once you've been fat at some point in your life. If you lower your food intake too much you lose muscle and still retain the pot belly which ends up looking even worse. I think its because the body goes into some kind of mammalian hibernation mode. It seems like some kind of vestigial evolutionary trait. You can do situps and core exercises and stuff to help improve your posture so your stomach doesn't stick out as much, but contrary to popular myth that won't get rid of the last layer of fat and make you look "ripped".


I wonder about this, too. If some of my fat is "loose skin." I'm like 13-15% bodyfat right now, so I have like, sorta a sixpack if it's the right angle, but I don't know if I'll ever get mega super ultra lean 5% bodyfat type thing.



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

16 May 2013, 12:53 pm

1000Knives wrote:
marshall wrote:
I know why I haven't posted in this subforum much. It's awkwardly cruel.

If you're an obese guy it's at least possible to bulk up on muscle and lose fat until you look like a football lineman with a bit of a gut rather than a blob. Hard work but maybe worth it. I think women can be attracted to the fat and strong look. You can try having a body like a jock even if you hate sports and are the biggest nerd.


Or you can just not do it and not care. I'm more strong/athletic/low bodyfat than I think I've ever been in my life, and I'm also in general loneliest.

Body image issues solved does not equal having tons of friends/girlfriends.

EDIT. I pretty much am a jock and a nerd now. Seriously, I spent like 3 hours (not counting gardening) exercising today. And both nerds and jocks hate me now, because I don't fit clearly into either group. I had way more friends when I did nerdier crap and didn't have any athletic goals/aspirations. In my case, my athletic goals are basically nerdy as sh** and don't really consist too much of "GET RIPPED AND COOL LOOKING TO PICK UP CHICKS" but still.

Also I read giant six part articles like this:
http://www.sportivnypress.com/documents/SUB_51.html


Okay, I didn't try to imply image is the end all or that people should give up their interests and turn into a stupid boring jock to "pick up chicks". Its just that not being extremely obese certainly helps some. You don't have that problem so good for you. You can work on other things. You're only 22 for gods sake! I wasn't trying to make this thread even shallower and crueler than the OP already made it.



Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,002
Location: San Francisco, CA.

16 May 2013, 1:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Am I the only one who wasn't hurt?


I doubt you are the only. I'm not really hurt, just trying to explain my point of view.



Last edited by Kinme on 16 May 2013, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,002
Location: San Francisco, CA.

16 May 2013, 1:07 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:11 pm

Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:15 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Am I the only one who wasn't hurt?


I wasn't hurt, more offended on your behalf

But then its seems like it's open season if you want to be rude on here except if I do it!
(probably because I'm too good at it lol) :twisted:


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Last edited by nessa238 on 16 May 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

16 May 2013, 1:16 pm

hanyo wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Why don't women like beards?

I've said to my friends before "if I wanted to kiss something in the middle of a bunch of hair I'd be a lesbian."

:lol:



spongy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,055
Location: Patiently waiting for the seventh wave

16 May 2013, 1:20 pm

nessa238 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Am I the only one who wasn't hurt?


I wasn't hurt, more offended on your behalf

But then its seems like it's open season if you want to be rude on here except if I do it!
(probably because I'm too good at it lol) :twisted:

What can I say?
We mainly work with formal complaints.
Snide remarks about how someone´s post is offensive on a thread tend to be ignored.

You appear to have gotten a few fans who like to follow you around and report what they see



Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 903
Location: Germany

16 May 2013, 1:23 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Nerds can be sexy, as long as they don't look like typical nerds. That means, pimples, fatness, beards included.

I think that was kind of the point of the original post.
Attractive people are, by definition, not nerds (there are different definitions, though, which makes arguing about this quite complicated).

nessa238 wrote:
None of the characters on 'The Big Bang' are fat (or have beards) and I'd say they're typical nerd types

The people that you see on TV are in fact actors.



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:27 pm

spongy wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Am I the only one who wasn't hurt?


I wasn't hurt, more offended on your behalf

But then its seems like it's open season if you want to be rude on here except if I do it!
(probably because I'm too good at it lol) :twisted:

What can I say?
We mainly work with formal complaints.
Snide remarks about how someone´s post is offensive on a thread tend to be ignored.

You appear to have gotten a few fans who like to follow you around and report what they see


I don't doubt it! :roll:

Says more about them than me I'd say...


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,002
Location: San Francisco, CA.

16 May 2013, 1:28 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


Dumb what down? I got your point; I just said it was random. Random is good.



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:30 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Nerds can be sexy, as long as they don't look like typical nerds. That means, pimples, fatness, beards included.

I think that was kind of the point of the original post.
Attractive people are, by definition, not nerds (there are different definitions, though, which makes arguing about this quite complicated).

nessa238 wrote:
None of the characters on 'The Big Bang' are fat (or have beards) and I'd say they're typical nerd types

The people that you see on TV are in fact actors.


I did know that, but they are portraying stereotypical nerds

What I love is the way when people explain what nerds and geeks are there's always the unspoken implication that they most certainly aren't one themself

And we're on an Asperger board!

Hil-arious!


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:31 pm

Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


Dumb what down? I got your point; I just said it was random. Random is good.


To me, random means with no connection to what went before; a subject just plucked out of the air


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,002
Location: San Francisco, CA.

16 May 2013, 1:33 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


Dumb what down? I got your point; I just said it was random. Random is good.


To me, random means with no connection to what went before; a subject just plucked out of the air


No wonder you reacted defensively, then. I wasn't even meaning it in a bad way; what you said wasn't what I predicted you'd say. *shrug* I didn't think you'd say anything back.



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

16 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


Dumb what down? I got your point; I just said it was random. Random is good.


To me, random means with no connection to what went before; a subject just plucked out of the air


No wonder you reacted defensively, then. I wasn't even meaning it in a bad way; what you said wasn't what I predicted you'd say. *shrug* I didn't think you'd say anything back.


Ok

I'm checking back with people exactly what they mean to try and improve my communication style


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,002
Location: San Francisco, CA.

16 May 2013, 1:42 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Dating online isn't always desperation. I'm an introvert, so that was the greatest decision I've ever made. I never would have been with anyone, and I would have not found the person I am currently (because he lived so far away) with someone who I couldn't imagine being without. I understand that you're not purposely trying to hurt others, aside from Boo, but that was pretty offensive, lol. I'm sure there are people dating in person that could be just as desperate as those dating online.


Yes, what could be more desperate than having sex with a person who is so drunk they don't even know their own name, let alone have the capability of making a rational decision re whether they want sex with another person or not

Preying on drunk people is the epitome of desperation


Random, but true.


Why is it random?

It's directly linked to the concept of desperation, which was being discussed

I get the impression it's because I don't put all the steps in my thought process down
ie I assume some level of joined up thinking and don't want to patronise people

if people want me to dumb it right down though they've only got to say


Dumb what down? I got your point; I just said it was random. Random is good.


To me, random means with no connection to what went before; a subject just plucked out of the air


No wonder you reacted defensively, then. I wasn't even meaning it in a bad way; what you said wasn't what I predicted you'd say. *shrug* I didn't think you'd say anything back.


Ok

I'm checking back with people exactly what they
mean to try and improve my communication style


It happens a lot on here. I try not to assume anything by what people say. I guess going into social work will help for me, lol.