Page 14 of 27 [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 27  Next

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285

17 May 2013, 11:55 am

OMG - I want that 8-bit tie!! ! :D



PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,109
Location: The division between Sanity and Insanity

17 May 2013, 11:57 am

What?



Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 903
Location: Germany

17 May 2013, 12:05 pm

marshall wrote:
That guy wouldn't automatically be a nerd. He could just be a hipster dressing weird for attention.

Yes, it's a problem to distinguish a nerd from a hipster. But there is a clear difference:
If a nerd wears it, it's because he understands what it's about and he likes it. A hipster, on the other hand, wears it for his "style".

BlueMax wrote:
OMG - I want that 8-bit tie!! ! :D

Me too, but they don't ship to Europe. I do, however, own this shirt:
Image



Last edited by Vectorspace on 17 May 2013, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

17 May 2013, 12:08 pm

What on earth is a hipster?

all these stupid terms


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,109
Location: The division between Sanity and Insanity

17 May 2013, 12:08 pm

Is a hipster basically a wannabe nerd (exept they don't want the lack of popularity)?



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

17 May 2013, 12:10 pm

Surely this is all pure NT-speak

It is in my book, hence I never use it and don't interact with the type who do - our paths never cross except online


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,109
Location: The division between Sanity and Insanity

17 May 2013, 12:12 pm

I highly doubt you never use slang.



BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285

17 May 2013, 12:17 pm

nessa238 wrote:
What on earth is a hipster?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTI7eWaQbk[/youtube]



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

17 May 2013, 12:19 pm

BlueMax wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
What on earth is a hipster?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTI7eWaQbk[/youtube]


Ohhh its a wanky twat in my parlance!


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,917
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

17 May 2013, 12:46 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
Nerdy things are nerdy.
Looking nerdy is nerdy.
There is also the contrast between nerds and geeks to think about.


What are nerdy things?


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,660

17 May 2013, 12:56 pm

A pretty good flowchart. According to this, I'm a nerd:

Image

People put too much emphasis on how people look. Hipsters are just people obsessed with trends and being seen as cool (something a real nerd wouldn't care too much about.) There's some overlap because of the recent "geek chic" trend. I've gotten the hipster label once or twice because I wear the thick "geek chic" glasses. However, I've been doing that for 14 years (long before it was cool) so it's clear the hipsters are trying to be more like me. 8)



nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,908
Location: UK

17 May 2013, 1:00 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
A pretty good flowchart. According to this, I'm a nerd:

Image

People put too much emphasis on how people look. Hipsters are just people obsessed with trends and being seen as cool (something a real nerd wouldn't care too much about.) There's some overlap because of the recent "geek chic" trend. I've gotten the hipster label once or twice because I wear the thick "geek chic" glasses. However, I've been doing that for 14 years (long before it was cool) so it's clear the hipsters are trying to be more like me. 8)


I'm a nerd then but I'd also say there are different levels of obsession ie socially acceptable ones and those that aren't eg stalking


_________________
'Sentimentality is a superstructure covering brutality' C.G Jung


Venger
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,519

17 May 2013, 1:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
Nerdy things are nerdy.
Looking nerdy is nerdy.
There is also the contrast between nerds and geeks to think about.


What are nerdy things?


The "Lord of the Rings" books were a TOTAL nerd-stereotype until those movies started coming out. And then the general public tried to pretend like that never happened. :roll:



JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,359

17 May 2013, 1:03 pm

Nerdy things would probably involve science fiction and fantasy related stuff, certain video game genres. Perhaps an interest in boy/girlscout type activities (archery, tapestry, maps, hiking etc.) or academics.

Yeah, harmless interests IMO but welcome to the world we live in.



Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,660

17 May 2013, 1:14 pm

IMO, crap like fantasy football (or sports in general when being watched and not played) is just as geeky as any other obsession but for some reason watching lots of sports obsessively during your free time is more socially acceptable and less nerdy than playing videogames. Really stupid........



marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

17 May 2013, 1:17 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
marshall wrote:
That guy wouldn't automatically be a nerd. He could just be a hipster dressing weird for attention.

Yes, it's a problem to distinguish a nerd from a hipster. But there is a clear difference:
If a nerd wears it, it's because he understands what it's about and he likes it. A hipster, on the other hand, wears it for his "style".

The difference is the fake-nerd/imposter/hipster changes his/her style frequently whereas the true nerd is odd in a more consistent way. I think there probably is a continuum between true nerds and hipsters though. Some people will be somewhere in between. This is such a fascinating topic! :lol:

As for me, I just try to look presentable and don't give a crap about style beyond that. In graduate school I was told that my first impression / appearance didn't match my personality. This one girl said at first she thought maybe I was a frat-boy. @#$%^&*@#$%^&! !! !! :pale: Apparently you can't even dress plainly/boringly and try not to stand out without there being some implied meaning.



Last edited by marshall on 17 May 2013, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.