Page 15 of 27 [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 27  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:23 pm

People who look more nerdy will in my opinion be likely to be more nerdy, due to social rejection

Ones who look more mainstream/nont nerdy will get more social inclusion and therefore be less insular and nerdy

There will be the most pressure on those who look non-nerdy but are nerdy in personality as their social group will
not understand how a petrson who looks 'normal' is not acting normal and will try and stamp it out

If you've already been rejected for not looking the part (ie not nerdy) though, you're free to do whatever you like
with other nerd types or those who don't look nerdy but prefer the nerd lifestyle

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:39 pm

BlueMax wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
What on earth is a hipster?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTI7eWaQbk[/youtube]

I wanted to date a man that wore that hat! (0:41). I didn't know what a hipster was in 2009, I thank he used the hat to cover up his head because of the sunny weather. He was a foreigner, it had sense.

But he was a hipster.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:52 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
IMO, crap like fantasy football (or sports in general when being watched and not played) is just as geeky as any other obsession but for some reason watching lots of sports obsessively during your free time is more socially acceptable and less nerdy than playing videogames. Really stupid........

+1
There are a lot of completely nonathletic people who sit around watching sports and playing fantasy sports all their free time. My friends in my undergraduate years did this, though they played video games as well.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:41 pm

marshall wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
IMO, crap like fantasy football (or sports in general when being watched and not played) is just as geeky as any other obsession but for some reason watching lots of sports obsessively during your free time is more socially acceptable and less nerdy than playing videogames. Really stupid........

+1
There are a lot of completely nonathletic people who sit around watching sports and playing fantasy sports all their free time. My friends in my undergraduate years did this, though they played video games as well.

Maybe, but the former isn't much socially accepted by most of the females either, women don't find the typical male couch-activities attractive, whether it is watching sports, DVDs or playing video games, they relate them to non-productiveness, laziness and anti-sociability.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:48 pm

BanjoGirl wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
BanjoGirl wrote:
Showing your nerdiness doesn't work, you have to show "trendy nerdiness", because it's what society enjoys right now.

Trendy nerdiness for girls

Trendy nerdiness for boys

:?

I don't trend, I stick up and stab your hammer in the head. (the one that sticks up gets hammered down, but not me :D )

Oops, this is one of those moments when I didn't understand what you said because my English is very lame :lol:

Sorry was out of internet, the original quote, which isn't this one, is "The one that sticks up will get hammered down/It is better to conform than to stick out amongst the crowd" which is I was countering with my own made up quote or something.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG9T6YkE_MY[/youtube]

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:28 pm

appletheclown wrote:

What has that got to do with whether nerds are sexy?

Talk over my head by all means but at least try and make it relevant to the original post

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:54 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
marshall wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

+1

Maybe, but the former isn't much socially accepted by most of the females either, women don't find the typical male couch-activities attractive, whether it is watching sports, DVDs or playing video games, they relate them to non-productiveness, laziness and anti-sociability.
Not sure if it's a cultural thing, but sports over here are big business and watching sports is a generally accepted pasttime of the average american male. Many women may not like it, but it's generally accepted and doesn't carry the same stigma as other obsessive hobbies like videogames or the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

Speaking of Nerdiness........Meeting up with a group of my ilk to see the new Star Trek film in a bit! Have a good weekend everyone!

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:58 pm

appletheclown wrote:
BanjoGirl wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
BanjoGirl wrote:
Showing your nerdiness doesn't work, you have to show "trendy nerdiness", because it's what society enjoys right now.

Trendy nerdiness for girls

Trendy nerdiness for boys

:?

I don't trend, I stick up and stab your hammer in the head. (the one that sticks up gets hammered down, but not me :D )

Oops, this is one of those moments when I didn't understand what you said because my English is very lame :lol:

Sorry was out of internet, the original quote, which isn't this one, is "The one that sticks up will get hammered down/It is better to conform than to stick out amongst the crowd" which is I was countering with my own made up quote or something.

Ok now I understood! I like the quote, it's very eloquent.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:01 pm

nessa238 wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Talk over my head by all means but at least try and make it relevant to the original post

I'm sorry is axe throwing not nerdy enough? Fine, here is an Native American in a video game using a tomahawk.

[video removed for being too gory]

Are you happy now? Geese, nobody can be a nerd about cool stuff? I know how do completely disassemble a mosin nagant m91 30 bolt action rifle, and put back together by memory, but because that is cool or manly, I can't be a nerd? No, no, no, a nerd invented the m91 30, so how can't I?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:01 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
marshall wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

+1

I know. Its just that obsessive interest in spectator sports by couch potatoes who aren't that good at actually playing sports isn't considered "nerdy" or "geeky" when it probably should be. In the US it's the norm.

Last edited by marshall on 17 May 2013, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:03 pm

appletheclown wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

I'm sorry is axe throwing not nerdy enough? Fine, here is an Native American in a video game using a tomahawk.

Are you happy now? Geese, nobody can be a nerd about cool stuff? I know how do completely disassemble a mosin nagant m91 30 bolt action rifle, and put back together by memory, but because that is cool or manly, I can't be a nerd? No, no, no, a nerd invented the m91 30, so how can't I?

No I think you just wanted an excuse to post that gory scene from the game on here

I don't come on here to be subjected to stuff like that and don't think it has any place on WP to be quite honest

It tells me a lot about you actually

Last edited by nessa238 on 17 May 2013, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:11 pm

What does it possibly tell you about me? I was just pointing out, people can be nerds about anything! Then you had to bag on tomahawks, when I have four of them, three throwing knives, 4 huge knives, and almost 8 pocket knives! I'm a nerd, I collect knives, and tomahawks, so it is a nerdy thing. Tomahawks, Kama (japanese grass hook), Blacksmithing in general, these things are common in Canada and the northern US, so I don't know why you would say you can't be nerdy or that my post isn't relevant. You don't have to see how for it to be relevant.

The only reason I responded with that gory scene is because it was from a video game, which to you is probably more geeky than a guy trying to trow a tomahawk accurately at 100 feet (which it isn't at all).

You were the one who had to respond with an attitude about my first tomahawk post. And you people need to stop putting a label on outdoors men, just because we use scary things in our recreational activities like guns and knifes doesn't mean we are axe murderers, I hate it when people do that. I love guns and knives, cause I grew up around them, it is just something I know. I can feel comfortable knowing I will be able to feed myself come hard times, why does that make me some sort of "that tells me a lot about you" kind of guy?

Last edited by appletheclown on 17 May 2013, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:15 pm

appletheclown wrote:
What does it possibly tell you about me? I was just pointing out, people can be nerds about anything! Then you had to bag on tomahawks, when I have four of them, three throwing knives, 4 huge knives, and almost 8 pocket knives! I'm a nerd, I collect knives, and tomahawks, so it is a nerdy thing. Tomahawks, Kama (japanese grass hook), Blacksmithing in general, these things are common in Canada and the northern US, so I don't know why you would say you can't be nerdy or that my post isn't relevant. You don't have to see how for it to be relevant.

I think it's the combination of the tomahawks and such a gory image from that game - that came across as aggressive to me; implying this is what you would want to use the tomahawk to do. It's hardly presenting a good impression to visitors to this site and I've seen plenty of people always banging on about that very subject on here

Surely that holds for anything that might give a bad impression ie one of a violent nature

Collecting knives/weapons is not the hobby of the average nerd I'm afraid

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:29 pm

Well tickle me pink! I didn't know. I guess just because people think that people who post that stuff on the internet are somehow automatically violent, I shouldn't post that? Stop being paranoid! You but a bad taste to my first post, you are the one who made this bad because YOU think tomahawks can't be something to "nerd" over, not me.

Hey people of the interwebs visiting this site, I am a good guy, don't listen to nessa, who is full of herself. Tomahawks are cool, and obviously this puts off people when I post the other video I did. STOP BEING PARANOID! I love people, I wanted to be a missionary, help run down orphanages in Tokyo out, I am not an axe murderer. Think of it this way, if all who posted that stuff were axe murderers, there would be about a million more than there are now, people post that stuff on youtube all the time. And just because nessa finds it dumb, doesn't mean some other girl won't find it cool, trust me, there is a female axe throwing league or something, so enjoy WP, and ignore her....

Last edited by appletheclown on 17 May 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:31 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Well tickle me pink! I didn't know. I guess just because people think that people who post that stuff on the internet are somehow automatically violent, I shouldn't post that? Stop being paranoid! You but a bad taste to my first post, you are the one who made this bad because YOU think tomahawks can't be something to "nerd" over, not me.

That scene from the game was gory and nasty and I find it highly ironic that I get picked on for being what people term 'aggressive' while people are quite happy to let such a horrible, violent, bloodthirsty image go past without comment

Double standards much?

Americans wiped out most of the native American Indians, which makes the image doubly distasteful in my opinion.