Courting a developmental psychologist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:18 pm

Ok........so things are going well with this girl I'm into. She's really cool and attractive and we have a ton of interests in common. We have another date at an art-hop on Friday. She's, I'm pretty sure, mostly NT and works as a special ed teacher for young kids with developmental disabilities (lncluding autism.) I have no intention of disclosing right away or anything (although she's fearcely smart and it is her field so she may eventually figure it out on her own if she hasn't already) but I was wondering if that would actually be a good thing.

Conventional logic would dictate that working in the field she may be more understanding of someone with my issues but it could also mean that maybe she'd be sick of it too (seeing as it's her job.) I'm a high functioning independent adult but my quirks do show through once I become more comfortable with someone and I don't like the idea of being subconciously associated with kids that make her job stressful. I too am looking for jobs in the mental health field (similiar program to hers but for low functioning adults instead of kids) and I'm accutely aware of how draining doing this type of social work is.

I'm really just trying to let things develop naturally and I feel like I'm doing a brilliant job of it when I'm around her.........That being said, I'm obsessive and I overthink everything all the damn time.......... :x I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it? Can anyone forsee any issues with such a partnership?

Last edited by Geekonychus on 05 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Ok........so things are going well with this girl I'm into. She's really cool and attractive and we have a ton of interests in common. We have another date at an art-hop on Friday. She's, I'm pretty sure, mostly NT and works as a special ed teacher for young kids with developmental disabilities (lncluding autism.) I have no intention of disclosing right away or anything (although she's fearcely smart and it is her field so she may eventually figure it out on her own if she hasn't already) but I was wondering if that would actually be a good thing.

Conventional logic would dictate that working in the field she may be more understanding of someone with my issues but it could also mean that maybe she'd be sick of it too (seeing as it's her job.) I'm a high functioning independent adult but my quirks do show through once I become more comfortable with someone and I don't like the idea of being subconciously associated with difficult kids that make her job stressful.

I'm really just trying to let things develop naturally and I feel like I'm doing a brilliant job of it when I'm around her.........That being said, I'm obsessive and I overthink everything all the damn time.......... :x I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it? Can anyone forsee any issues with such a partnership?

Here is a caution: Just as many bartenders tend to be big drinkers, and many cook tend to be fat--and, yes, many librarians tend to be big readers--many mental health professionals tend to have mental health issues of their own.

Since this isn't always true, it may not apply to your situation. But it is something I would be cognizant of, even if it is no reason to dismiss her with prejudice. What I'm getting at is that she may have issues of her own.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
What I'm getting at is that she may have issues of her own.

Is it bad that I sorta hope this is the case? :?

If she's too "normal" I don't forsee it going anywhere..........

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Well, I'm not exactly an ethicist, but my guess would be no. I say this because your wishes will have zero bearing on whether or not she has problems of her own. Like you, those are something she would bring to the table.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

Geekonychus wrote:

Like any relationship, it depends on the people involved. Sounds like it's going well . . . so don't look for problems. They generally sneak up from behind anyway.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

Like any relationship, it depends on the people involved. Sounds like it's going well . . . so don't look for problems. They generally sneak up from behind anyway.

I'm not so much looking for problems as much as aknowledging my own issues. Like a lot of people on this board, I'm prone to infatuation and it helps curb some of that by putting it into writing and discussing it. Otherwise they are just nagging thoughts and insecurities in my mind and my brain can be a scary place when that happens.

You're totally right, for the record. Thanks!

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Well, I'm not exactly an ethicist, but my guess would be no. I say this because your wishes will have zero bearing on whether or not she has problems of her own. Like you, those are something she would bring to the table.
That's how I feel too (perfectly logical really) but I'm pretty sure most normal people would find it offensive. Great advice though!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

I'm not so much looking for problems as much as aknowledging my own issues. Like a lot of people on this board, I'm prone to infatuation and it helps curb some of that by putting it into writing and discussing it. Otherwise they are just nagging thoughts and insecurities in my mind and my brain can be a scary place when that happens.

Tell me about it . . . my brain is quite disturbing, too.

If I were to speculate about possible problems associated with dating someone with psychological training, I would consider that the person might see themselves in a caregiver role. That is - she would view you as a patient, not as a unique individual to be respected.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

That's how I feel too (perfectly logical really) but I'm pretty sure most normal people would find it offensive. Great advice though!

I'm not normal :wink:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:06 pm

What happened with the girl before her? I remember you were dating a girl whom you played with those gypsy cards thing.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
I'm not normal :wink:
I assumed that was the case seeing as how we agreed on the point. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What happened with the girl before her? I remember you were dating a girl whom you played with those gypsy cards thing.

We're still seeing each other but It's a very casual non-committal thing (like every 3 weeks or so.) If and when I find someone I want who's looking for something more it will likely become a "just friends" thing.