Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

The_Hemulen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

There is a guy in the office down the corridor from mine at work who has been talking to me a lot over the internet. And when I say a lot, I mean a LOT. He will start chatting to me as soon as I am online first thing in the morning and will chat to me most of the day until I go to bed. I'm a postgraduate student and I don't have a lot of work on at the moment so this isn't too disruptive for me, but he is a post-doc and I can't see how he can be getting enough work done and chatting this much. Also, I have been going to bed about 3am and he has been staying up that late to chat even though he has to get up about 7.30 in the morning. He pretty much initiates all the conversation and keeps it going, but I do like talking to him a lot as we have a lot in common. Someone else who knows us both said he is like the male version of me. Also, he has started listening to the same music as me even though it isn't really what he'd normally like.

However. He has a girlfriend and it seems quite serious. They have been together four or five years and are living together. I go to social evenings at their house quite a lot and everything seems fine. The only weird thing is that this guy removed his 'in a relationship' status from his facebook about a week ago, but it still seems like they are together.

So I'm not really sure what his intentions are. Could his intentions purely be friendly? We do have a lot in common and a lot to talk about, after all. Or is it something more? If it is something more, this confuses and scares me a bit. He strikes me as really moral, not the kind of person who would cheat on his girlfriend or anything like that so I don't know what he is trying to do. To be honest, I am kind of falling for him and panicking about it. 8O

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 1:48 pm

The_Hemulen wrote:
There is a guy in the office down the corridor from mine at work who has been talking to me a lot over the internet. And when I say a lot, I mean a LOT. He will start chatting to me as soon as I am online first thing in the morning and will chat to me most of the day until I go to bed. I'm a postgraduate student and I don't have a lot of work on at the moment so this isn't too disruptive for me, but he is a post-doc and I can't see how he can be getting enough work done and chatting this much. Also, I have been going to bed about 3am and he has been staying up that late to chat even though he has to get up about 7.30 in the morning. He pretty much initiates all the conversation and keeps it going, but I do like talking to him a lot as we have a lot in common. Someone else who knows us both said he is like the male version of me. Also, he has started listening to the same music as me even though it isn't really what he'd normally like.

However. He has a girlfriend and it seems quite serious. They have been together four or five years and are living together. I go to social evenings at their house quite a lot and everything seems fine. The only weird thing is that this guy removed his 'in a relationship' status from his facebook about a week ago, but it still seems like they are together.

Hemulen, if you are sure that his current relationship isn't on the rocks, I would strongly advise you to beware of him, and to stay away from him.

I can see two possibilities:

1. That he wants you for some kind of fling;

2. He's willing to leave his current girlfriend for you. If this is the case, and while it may be flattering, if he'll leave his current girlfriend for you, he will leave you for somebody else.

So I'm not really sure what his intentions are. Could his intentions purely be friendly? We do have a lot in common and a lot to talk about, after all. Or is it something more? If it is something more, this confuses and scares me a bit. He strikes me as really moral, not the kind of person who would cheat on his girlfriend or anything like that so I don't know what he is trying to do. To be honest, I am kind of falling for him and panicking about it. 8O

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

I think you might be better off cutting way back on the chats. Obviously this guy is deceiving his current girlfriend, and he is deceiving her with you. Do you really want to be a part of that? He is conducting what is known as an emo affair, and he doesn't want his current partner to know about it. Listing himself as not in a relationship on his FB page is also deceitful because he is living with someone. At the rate you are having chat sessions with him, it is no wonder you feel attracted. Maybe it would be better to invest your time and energy in someone who is actually single and available to you openly? This guy sounds like he doesn't mind hurting his girlfriend or you!

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 3:12 pm

Sounds like he likes you.