Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
A wedding ring is an outward sign of commitment. It's also a beacon to other men telling them to back off.

The vast majority (though not all) of men will not hit on a girl who has a wedding ring on.

True. And, keep in mind that the OP is saying that she is perfectly willing to wear the wedding ring, it is the engagement ring that is causing discomfort. I am surprised that her husband is not willing to work with that. It would be different if she was not wanting to wear any ring at all, but still it is something that has to be worked out.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

One possible solution, although I don't know how much it would cost, would be to have both rings melted down and remade into one, with the gem from the engagement ring set flush into a band. That way, it won't catch on anything.

Another solution, if you're going to be melting them down, would be to create another piece of jewellery altogether - some form of pendant maybe.

CheredIsTyping
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2013, 12:28 am

The wedding band is tungsten. It doesn't reshape easily.

However, after showing him my scabs on my neighboring fingers (it's a small stone, i'm just left-handed so there's more activity there) he got really upset and asked me why I hadn't brought it up before. I had. Husband is crazy. But we did just lose the car & work has been crazy so maybe he just doesn't remember due to stress?

He agreed to keep the engagement ring in a specific box for special occassions. The wedding band... if I'm working concession (where it gets dirty & I have most of my annoyance with the band) then he said I can put it up on a chain. Dirt, water, and butter get stuck up under it and feels horrible in concession. I'm super excited he agreed. Now I'm crossing my fingers that he doesn't forget this conversation like he forgot the other one. :D

Thank you for all the suggestions!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jul 2013, 1:03 am

CheredIsTyping wrote:
The wedding band is tungsten. It doesn't reshape easily.

However, after showing him my scabs on my neighboring fingers (it's a small stone, i'm just left-handed so there's more activity there) he got really upset and asked me why I hadn't brought it up before. I had. Husband is crazy. But we did just lose the car & work has been crazy so maybe he just doesn't remember due to stress?
That could be it or also because it upset him the 1st time you brought it up so he may of blocked it out. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm glad you two figured out something that works for you both

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 1:40 am

If you can wear necklaces, maybe fabric or metal, you can put the ring on the necklace and wear that.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm

I'm glad your husband was willing to listen to reason! 8)

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

EmberEyes wrote:
Can't you put it o a necklace a'la LotR?
I don't know, I don't get the whole wedding ring/engagement ring thing in general. To me the comitment is not in a piece of jewellry, it's in the heart and mind of the people.

I like that necklace idea.

MsFogg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

A wedding ring means something. Other substitutes give license to those who don't deserve it. Eliza

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 8:17 pm

If you work around equipment that may snag the ring they can be dangerous,they can get caught and maybe cause a serious injury.Some mechanics don't wear their rings,or at least not to work because of this.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 8:42 pm

:-) I told my mum about this topic, and she says that she really didn't have any trouble with guys hitting on her after she was married.
She's not ugly or anything. I've seen guys compliment her (very civilly and not in a sexual way) on her looks.

Even if they had, she says she could have just told them to clear off.

She says that she remembers having a communal sauna with a guy she knew, this one time.... then afterwards the guy had this discussion with my dad :

Guy - (tickled pink) "I've just been lying next to your naked wife. In the sauna."
(she says that clearly he thought this was a big deal.)

But my dad just said (in a "big whoop" tone of voice) "So what ? I do that sort of thing every night."

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

MsFogg wrote:
A wedding ring means something. Other substitutes give license to those who don't deserve it. Eliza

\I don't understand. What does the part I bolded mean?

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:38 am

My understanding is, they think that if you're wearing a ring which isn't specifically a wedding ring, then you're telling every bloke in the vicinity that you're available from a relationship and/or sexual perspective.

I don't think that's the case, though.