"If I knew you had this Aspergers,I wouldn't have dated

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:24 pm

This is an AWFUL comment to receive, but I got it from my wife of five years (in a relationship for almost 9 years) on more than one occasion. When we first started dating in the mid-2000s, I was already diagnosed and worked every which way and as hard as I could on improving and overcoming my challenges, which helped me "slip under the radar", and I have always been good-looking and worked out regularly; but of course, as time went on and she got more emotionally invested, she noticed something "was off" and of course, since we got married, I "let myself go" for lack of a better description, as it was plenty of effort to consciously think about what I should do, say, or react in any given spontaneous situation.

I told her that if anything, I am a stronger person than average for what I have overcome and improved upon, but she seemed flippant about that, saying that "I'm just a little different and have to try harder (still), people will try to justify anything with medical labels."

Well, it sucks, and it definitely explains why men with Aspergers have a less than 20% success rate with building long-term relationships.
The reason we can "slip under the radar" at times though, is that unlike other conditions, ours can be suppressed with practice. Unfortunately, I have never heard of any young woman accept some Aspergers guy "as is", they had to take steps through speech therapy, motor coordination exercises, experimenting with friends and strangers, etc, etc. So it is very unlikely she would have accepted me if my manifestations were obvious, which is pretty much the corollary to what she told me. It's not like somebody who is say a burn victim, is horribly obese, has severe Tourettes or a stutter or some other very obvious condition that would almost certain disqualify them instantly, ours is more subtle and we can "cheat" the mating system.

But it still bothers me what she said!! :evil:

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 6:49 pm

That's because, to be frank, she sounds like a b***h.

Sorry-- I know she's your wife and all, but still.

Your irritating quirks are different than her irritating quirks. Big fat hairy deal. Sooooo what.

Nobody-- NT, AS, or otherwise-- should be expected to live with their company manners on. It is not realistic.

Hence I advocate disclosure and "letting oneself go" as soon as a relationship begins to get serious. After the first kiss, BEFORE the clothes come off.

Causes a lot of heartbreak. Ruins a lot of relationships. Better to ruin them early. Saves time and trouble.

I'm sure she has some wonderful redeeming qualities. But I'd suggest a comeback like, "If I knew you were so intolerant, I wouldn't have married you either."

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm

Yeah that is hurtful. I am a female with possible Aspergers (no official Dx yet but hinted at by a doctoral level psychologist who was supervising me on a case. I work as a 1:1 to kids on the autism spectrum). I too have learned to suppress some of my traits. I date and I was married for 4 years but I struggle with maintaining long term relationships, and not just romantic ones. I tend to get into lots of misunderstandings. Either I misunderstand or misread them or vice versa or both.

I'm really sorry that happened. Does she say hurtful stuff like that a lot?

Personality: INFP

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 7:05 pm

Jayo wrote:
"people will try to justify anything with medical labels."

...and some people are intolerant bullies who dismiss anything that's inconvenient for them as non-existent, or "just an excuse," because they ultimately don't really care about anyone but themselves. They are cruel and incapable of compassion.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but you're never going to be able to have a tolerable existence with a person like that. I recommend you start thinking about alternatives ASAP and get away from that person, life with her will never be anything but a living Hell. Nobody deserves to live in an environment where being themselves is unacceptable. Bad enough we have to hold up that mask all day long out in the world, you can't come home and do it there, too, you'd go insane. It breaks your spirit.

And don't ever accept "I didn't mean that, I was just mad" as an excuse. Neurotypical people are often at their most honest when they lose their tempers and expose the thoughts they've been hiding all along.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 7:21 pm

Those are the kind of comments that usually start fights because of their ignorance and intolerance. I understand your pain. For me, it goes like this. You have your inner quirks that you have to work on. you are an Aspie, there is nothing you can do on that, but for her to say that shows she is no prize herself. After all, you amy be a little weird, but really, no one in life is exempt from having personal quirks. Everyone has their little something to get over, and everyone knows what it is like to feel the pain of hiding your true self in order to be accepted.

So, for her to say that just shows her immaturity as a date. Saying that you were mad as a way to defend yourself is hardly an excuse either. It was evident, but she should have been a little more careful with her words. Point blank. Simple and plain.

Perhaps, it is just me. I'm the type of guy who likes to be open with things, such as my Asperger's or my sexuality only when it is necessary. It's one of my many perfect Litmus tests for dating. If someone dismisses it or treats it like some disease, I know good and well that they aren't dating material. At least, not for me because when you are looking for love, the little things shouldn't have to matter. In a world where people complain a lot about their partners and current single partners, one can't afford to be too picky over stuff like that.

OK. Off my soapbox now. Who wants a turn?

frankton
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2013, 8:02 pm

Yeah, she's saying some stupid things, like the medical excuses comment.

On the other hand, she probably feels cheated. As you said, you did not reveal the full extent of your symptoms until after you got her to marry you.
The purpose of dating is to get to know the other person. She fell in love with the self you presented before you got married and now she probably feels like she was duped by false advertising. This can happen with personality disorders or addictions, not just aspergers, but it always winds up hurting both parties. She needs to ask herself if she can love the real you and you need to accept the truth.
In the end it may be best for each of you to go your own way, especially if you have kids yet.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 8:53 pm

As the OP, I've often said that "women have very good weirdo radar, but they have terrible psycho radar".
Maybe that's a subject for another thread and I'm digressing a little, but...it has plenty of truth to it!
It's more or less in reference to the follow-up poster who said that it was "false advertising" just like people with pathological personality disorders (i.e. the psychos that apparently evade women's radar), the difference being that the latter, unjustly, don't seem to have nearly the same challenges we do in finding dates.

But in any case, I don't think there was anything selfish I did in the suppression of my symptoms. It was for us to enjoy many great memories together, which we have.
It's just like a workplace setting, there's nothing shifty or shady about me suppressing my AS manifestations - at the end of the day, I have to eat, and for that I'm truly unrepentant. So goes it for the personal relationship with her, I have other needs to be fulfilled, and one doesn't need to be an expert on reading between the lines to know what they are.

And speaking of reading between the lines - she has never explicitly told me that I misrepresented myself to her, or that she felt cheated by my facade - but I'm reading between the lines as if that's what's really being said, like I mentioned that's the corollary of the "if I knew you had AS" line.

Guess I don't get any credit for all the effort I put in to come across as more "normal" :(

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

Jayo wrote:
As the OP, I've often said that "women have very good weirdo radar, but they have terrible psycho radar".
Maybe that's a subject for another thread and I'm digressing a little, but...it has plenty of truth to it!
It's more or less in reference to the follow-up poster who said that it was "false advertising" just like people with pathological personality disorders (i.e. the psychos that apparently evade women's radar), the difference being that the latter, unjustly, don't seem to have nearly the same challenges we do in finding dates.

But in any case, I don't think there was anything selfish I did in the suppression of my symptoms. It was for us to enjoy many great memories together, which we have.
It's just like a workplace setting, there's nothing shifty or shady about me suppressing my AS manifestations - at the end of the day, I have to eat, and for that I'm truly unrepentant. So goes it for the personal relationship with her, I have other needs to be fulfilled, and one doesn't need to be an expert on reading between the lines to know what they are.

And speaking of reading between the lines - she has never explicitly told me that I misrepresented myself to her, or that she felt cheated by my facade - but I'm reading between the lines as if that's what's really being said, like I mentioned that's the corollary of the "if I knew you had AS" line.

Guess I don't get any credit for all the effort I put in to come across as more "normal" :(

I give you a thumbs up for trying but the thing is that normal is a very geberal word. Not a single person on earth can cone to a consenshs on what normal is. They can try, but it just doesn't stay. All you can be is the best you. Strain yourself trying to be somekne elae, and you will wind up driving yourself nuts.

All advice aside, at least she now knows. The question is what is she going to do about i now? Will she deal or will she leave? You guys already made it for less than a decade together.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 9:18 pm

Don't try to live up to someone elses expectations, you will never succeed.

<--- ***mumbles something about moving goal posts***

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 9:23 pm

I think there are problems on both sides.

While dating, everyone tends to be on their best behavior, but you had then been diagnosed for about 5 years and did not think it important enough to tell her before you were married. If you are not going to open about aspergers to your soon to be wife, who would you be open about to.

So for her to feel cheated is not unreasonable, and also you "let yourself go" after you were married.

While I realise that you are not going to really get to know someone until after you are living together and you both seem to have missed out because of a combination of non-disclosure and intolerance.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 9:31 pm

kabouter wrote:

While dating, everyone tends to be on their best behavior, but you had then been diagnosed for about 5 years and did not think it important enough to tell her before you were married. If you are not going to open about aspergers to your soon to be wife, who would you be open about to.

So for her to feel cheated is not unreasonable, and also you "let yourself go" after you were married.

While I realise that you are not going to really get to know someone until after you are living together and you both seem to have missed out because of a combination of non-disclosure and intolerance.

I agree with this sentiment exactly. If you don't expend effort to "slip under the radar" you seemingly will get nowhere with dating. But once you get somewhere you really should disclose before going any further. That's what I always did, and more often than not the women's attitudes changed completely and they started distancing themselves. The one I'm with now didn't distance herself and I don't feel like I'm living a lie with her.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 9:33 pm

kabouter wrote:

I mostly agree with this. Jayo, you don't state when exactly you told your partner that you have the diagnosis, was it after you were married, or when she noticed things were "off" about you? If you thought that you would put on the NT pretense for the entirety of your marriage (i.e. you didn't realise you would get so tired from it and have to "let yourself go") then I suppose I can understand why you might not tell her. But if you had any idea that you might reveal your true self at some point, you really did owe it to her to reveal it before you got married. It's important to know who you are marrying.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:35 pm

You get plenty of credit. Suppressing symptoms until after marriage was more than I could do...

...though the fact that DH moved in six weeks after we met probably had something to do with that. So did the fact that I was 20, had known of the condition for less than a year, and was still pretty depressed.

So I made a point-blank disclosure, while we were still just friends, and laid all the information I had on the table.

In 1998, that wasn't much.

If I had known then what I know today, I would not have been significant-other hunting. I might have been looking for good friends, but I would not under any circumstances have "fixed myself up," allowed anyone to move into my house, get into my pants, or work their way so deeply into my heart that I could not imagine life without them.

I would have kept my ratty T-shirts and camo, not gotten a more flattering hairdo, and been less friendly and more abrasive with members of the opposite sex.

Simply because marriage means living with somebody.

And living with somebody-- even someone understanding and tolerant-- means NEVER BEING OFF-STAGE. It means that for an NT too...

...but for someone with "typical" quirks and "typical" bad days and "typical" bad behavior that is majority-sanctioned, never being off-stage isn't the big deal it is for someone who does not benefit from that sanction and is not recharged by interacting with another living hominid.

I'm glad I dropped the masking behavior right away-- he can be a bit of a prig, but it could be so much worse. I could have married the first guy I dated-- the one where I couldn't drop the masking, who had a cow every time it slipped. I could have married the second guy I dated-- he knew something was up, but didn't know what (I didn't yet have the words to give him), but that didn't keep him from using it as an excuse to make me feel dumb and keep me "protected" (read: caged). I could have married the girl I dated in high school, who enjoyed encouraging and exploiting my Aspie traits to fuel her own vendetta against society at large-- we had a lot of fun, but that just wasn't a healthy situation.

I have to agree with an above poster-- dating is a chance to get to know each other, to decide if you want to be married. It's a long, mutual interview. It is NOT a one-way interview, or a campaign on the marriage quest. The goal is to find out if the person is a good match-- NOT to "end up married this time."

It's like a job, I guess-- but it's NOT like a job.

At a job, you get paid for your time. In a marriage, the relationship is supposed to be its own reward. At a job, you get to clock out-- you are going to be there 20, 40, 60 hours a week-- and THAT'S IT. In a marriage, you don't get to clock out. EVERYONE puts on company manners at work. Marriage is at home-- home is supposed to be your safe space (and also that of your spouse), which is something everyone needs.

A first date is like work. It's like a job interview. A second date is like getting called back for an in-depth interview. A third date-- now you are dealing with something like a friend. Time to take the work-manners off. When you can't remember how many dates you've been on now?? Or you're together more days than not?? That's potential spouse material...

... and that's time to drop the A-bomb and let them see you au naturel.

Hearts are going to get broken. But-- better now than later.

If one or the other or both parties on a date is constantly on guard, constantly masking (or constantly making excuses, or constantly tolerating), the relationship isn't going to build that safe space. If you come home from every date exhausted in the I-just-got-home-from-work, I-need-three-hours-of-doing-my-thing-and-a-nap way (the not-great-at-all way), the relationship isn't going to build that safe space. If you have to guard against arguing, if you constantly butt heads, if the 21st date feels about like the first date did, the relationship is not going to build that safe space.

If it doesn't build that safe space for one of you, it isn't going to do it for the other one either.

If it doesn't build that safe space, it isn't worth the time, effort, energy, all the stuff it takes to make a marriage run.

Teebie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2013, 11:09 am

Jayo wrote:

So sad but you know, it could be because you just did too good a job and as a result, she just doesn't know the effort involved and therefore doesn't understand that there's anything to give you credit for.

I am in some sense in your wife's position. I knew my husband was 'different' before we married but not the full extent. He can more or less 'pass' when all is going well but when under stress he needs help from his other half. Things went bad for us because when he needed help I wasn't in a good place for all sorts of reasons I won't go into, so didn't understand what he was asking.

Since then I have learnt an awful lot about AS and am in awe of what he has achieved in order to function. Your wife sounds as though she has a great deal of anger and she needs to deal with that first (that was me, last summer). Only then can she move on to try to understand you better.

I hope you can find it in your heart to be patient with her (my husband finds this difficult, wants me to learn his language almost overnight but we're working on it). If she is prepared to apply herself hopefully you will reach a better understanding.

It has helped me to read a few books on the subject and I would recommend Maxine Aston's book about marriage and Aspergers.

Good luck to you both

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:26 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
You get plenty of credit. Suppressing symptoms until after marriage was more than I could do...

...though the fact that DH moved in six weeks after we met probably had something to do with that. So did the fact that I was 20, had known of the condition for less than a year, and was still pretty depressed.

So I made a point-blank disclosure, while we were still just friends, and laid all the information I had on the table.

In 1998, that wasn't much.

If I had known then what I know today, I would not have been significant-other hunting. I might have been looking for good friends, but I would not under any circumstances have "fixed myself up," allowed anyone to move into my house, get into my pants, or work their way so deeply into my heart that I could not imagine life without them.

I would have kept my ratty T-shirts and camo, not gotten a more flattering hairdo, and been less friendly and more abrasive with members of the opposite sex.

Simply because marriage means living with somebody.

And living with somebody-- even someone understanding and tolerant-- means NEVER BEING OFF-STAGE. It means that for an NT too...

...but for someone with "typical" quirks and "typical" bad days and "typical" bad behavior that is majority-sanctioned, never being off-stage isn't the big deal it is for someone who does not benefit from that sanction and is not recharged by interacting with another living hominid.

I'm glad I dropped the masking behavior right away-- he can be a bit of a prig, but it could be so much worse. I could have married the first guy I dated-- the one where I couldn't drop the masking, who had a cow every time it slipped. I could have married the second guy I dated-- he knew something was up, but didn't know what (I didn't yet have the words to give him), but that didn't keep him from using it as an excuse to make me feel dumb and keep me "protected" (read: caged). I could have married the girl I dated in high school, who enjoyed encouraging and exploiting my Aspie traits to fuel her own vendetta against society at large-- we had a lot of fun, but that just wasn't a healthy situation.

I have to agree with an above poster-- dating is a chance to get to know each other, to decide if you want to be married. It's a long, mutual interview. It is NOT a one-way interview, or a campaign on the marriage quest. The goal is to find out if the person is a good match-- NOT to "end up married this time."

It's like a job, I guess-- but it's NOT like a job.

At a job, you get paid for your time. In a marriage, the relationship is supposed to be its own reward. At a job, you get to clock out-- you are going to be there 20, 40, 60 hours a week-- and THAT'S IT. In a marriage, you don't get to clock out. EVERYONE puts on company manners at work. Marriage is at home-- home is supposed to be your safe space (and also that of your spouse), which is something everyone needs.

A first date is like work. It's like a job interview. A second date is like getting called back for an in-depth interview. A third date-- now you are dealing with something like a friend. Time to take the work-manners off. When you can't remember how many dates you've been on now?? Or you're together more days than not?? That's potential spouse material...

... and that's time to drop the A-bomb and let them see you au naturel.

Hearts are going to get broken. But-- better now than later.

If one or the other or both parties on a date is constantly on guard, constantly masking (or constantly making excuses, or constantly tolerating), the relationship isn't going to build that safe space. If you come home from every date exhausted in the I-just-got-home-from-work, I-need-three-hours-of-doing-my-thing-and-a-nap way (the not-great-at-all way), the relationship isn't going to build that safe space. If you have to guard against arguing, if you constantly butt heads, if the 21st date feels about like the first date did, the relationship is not going to build that safe space.

If it doesn't build that safe space for one of you, it isn't going to do it for the other one either.

If it doesn't build that safe space, it isn't worth the time, effort, energy, all the stuff it takes to make a marriage run.

Your response I happen to like the best for some reason. I'm in the school of "I'm going to disclose my Asperger's on the first date, because if she really cares enough/likes me, there will be a second date."

I told my (at the time) girlfriend about what she was getting herself into.

Quote:
Just, never worry about you being a high functioning autistic scaring me off. I know sometimes people will give little looks and that you will have your quirks. But, I love you for exactly who you are. You are not pretending to be someone, and that makes you that much hotter in my eyes. Everyday, I still feel as I fall more in love with you.

And

Quote:
And just to let you know, I am not afraid to have an autistic boyfriend. I am proud of you for being such a proud autistic, you give me such happiness. I have already told my family that I care about you so much already, and I see our relationship lasting for a while.

Those are from emails we would send to each other.

A couple of things ended up destroying that relationship (some of the slightly creepy things I said, her family wasn't too fond of me, I was dealing with family troubles AND her sexual history and my lack of one). Rule of thumb: I'm probably not going to date you if your family is going to end up having trouble accepting me.

In fact, my lack of sexual history has been a MAJOR factor in my lack of dating confidence, etc, especially with someone as competitive as I am. But to sum it up, I'm one for disclosing early on, because the last thing you want is to be in a relationship and find out "By the way..."

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 1:45 pm

Forget all this jerks go to hell, she's baaahhhhd news bro, and she was being nice crap. Next time she says that, she may be saying as a compliment, as in reference to how much of a good husband you are for not letting that stop you. And maybe say "Well do you want me to show you what else I've improved on more than other men?" if you know what I mean, (sex). That should get thing either cleared up and a "Maybe later sweetheart...." or, if you are lucky, "Sounds good hot stuff.". There isn't much you can do, consider it a badge of honor.