How do you know if a guy likes you or wants to be friends?

Page 5 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:47 am

leafplant wrote:
well, you could always not make a move or say anything and wait for him to do something. if he doesn't - at least you are still friends?
Yeah, I think I might do this.

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Yeah. Just relax, enjoy your time with him, and let things flow smoothly and naturally. Whatever will be, will be. Though, to me, if you guys are chatting online for hours, it already sounds like you've got something going on between you two. It's also a good idea that you don't want to have sex too soon, before getting to know him.
I'm trying not to tell myself that in case he just sees it as being friendly.
And whilst it would be tempting, that's definitely not what I want to do. I don't want to end up with a short term relationship based on sex.

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2013, 4:17 am

Alycat wrote:
Update: I invited him round to my flat (apartment) in December to watch a film version of a book we've both read. He has accepted. However, he probably still thinks it's just a friend thing.
I don't know whether I should tell him how I feel or keep quiet.
I was thinking of saying something along the lines of 'I think you should know how I feel but I am aware you probably don't like me the way I like you. I'd rather be friends than nothing, and I hope it doesn't make things too awkward'.
when is the date for your plans?

honestly i think he probably likes you too. at least, if hes anything like me he does. personally if i didnt like a girl as more than an acquaintance, i wouldnt talk to her outside of work at all, and definitely not add her on facebook. which one of you asked to add the other on facebook first?

i read somewhere that he didnt want to text you or call you when you gave him your number? that seems odd to me. thats a red flag but from what you've said i still think he probably likes you. i mean, if you talk all the time, to late at night, it means hes interested in you IMO. why else would someone stay up late to hold a conversation with someone? 'just friends' dont do that, or at least not typically where im from i dont think.

if you want to know if hes attracted to you just escalate. use double entendre.. a lot. say random kinky things if you are kinky. if he responds and escalates more you can be sure he is attracted to you.

say what you want about guys ONLY wanting sex, but i think thats more of a male thing in general. males just really like sex, and so do females im sure. sure lots and lots of guys want sex but that doesnt mean they are bad people, bad at relationships, or that would lead to a short term relationship. it just means they are attracted to you. basically, i think a mans desire for sex is unrelated to other things like relationship longevity, or quality. if anything i think sex is an important part of a healthy relationship.

obviously you shouldnt have sex with him unless he is dedicated to you alone, but if he is, then if he is interested in you, i think it can only make him want you more, in more ways than one :X

just be careful, though. in a work setting a bad relationship would likely be kinda awful to be around. it could make you feel bad in a place that is already pretty stressful (not sure what you do, but work is stressful for me a lot).

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 10:34 am

My instincts say don't go for either of them, try to date people outside of your work. It's never a good idea to date people that you work with. The right things can go oh so wrong, and then you're stuck staring it in the face every day.

I guess if you're interested in one of the guys, just ask him out? If he likes you he will say yes, and if he does not, he'll say no. Ask him out for dinner. Guys like being treated to things. They don't get treated to things as much as women do.
Also, maybe pay attention to the one you want to date and kind of take it easy with the friend guy so he doesn't get the wrong idea?

Most men want something if they're talking to a woman, it's rarely, if ever to just be friends, unless they know that's all that will become of the situation. And even then, they might still try. Pretty much every single guy friend of mine has tried to get with me at some point or another, either sexually or because they feel twitterpated. I've found it's much easier to be friends with men that are in solid relationships, because even if they like me, I'm not going to try and hurt another poor girl's feelings by sleeping with her boo.

I would perhaps read some articles on the flirting body language of men, I've found those to be the most helpful. Good luck with whatever the outcomes may be!

Hope you find the love of your life!

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:09 pm

AnnettaMarie wrote:
My instincts say don't go for either of them, try to date people outside of your work. It's never a good idea to date people that you work with. The right things can go oh so wrong, and then you're stuck staring it in the face every day.

I guess if you're interested in one of the guys, just ask him out? If he likes you he will say yes, and if he does not, he'll say no. Ask him out for dinner. Guys like being treated to things. They don't get treated to things as much as women do.
Also, maybe pay attention to the one you want to date and kind of take it easy with the friend guy so he doesn't get the wrong idea?

Most men want something if they're talking to a woman, it's rarely, if ever to just be friends, unless they know that's all that will become of the situation. And even then, they might still try. Pretty much every single guy friend of mine has tried to get with me at some point or another, either sexually or because they feel twitterpated. I've found it's much easier to be friends with men that are in solid relationships, because even if they like me, I'm not going to try and hurt another poor girl's feelings by sleeping with her boo.

I would perhaps read some articles on the flirting body language of men, I've found those to be the most helpful. Good luck with whatever the outcomes may be!

yup

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Stalk wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:

yup

So if a guy asks me how I am doing and why I was so quiet during class, and pays just a bit more attention to me than to other groupmates, this means he likes me?

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Stalk wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:

yup

So if a guy asks me how I am doing and why I was so quiet during class, and pays just a bit more attention to me than to other groupmates, this means he likes me?

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:

yup

most likely

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:35 pm

I really want to kiss him

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 2:44 pm

Alycat wrote:

:lol:

Why can't we just go around kissing whoever we like whenever we feel like it without it having to be a big deal?

I'd like an option to kiss all the guys who I find even remotely attractive. Once I've kissed them, I will get a better idea of whether I Really fancy them or it's more a sympatico kind of deal.

Also, there are a lot of guys I would never want to date but would quite like to kiss :oops: 8) 8O

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

Stalk wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:

yup

most likely

Maybe he just does it out of pity?

He is such a cutie. He studied chemistry before, now he does psychology like me.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

leafplant wrote:
Alycat wrote:

:lol:

Why can't we just go around kissing whoever we like whenever we feel like it without it having to be a big deal?

I'd like an option to kiss all the guys who I find even remotely attractive. Once I've kissed them, I will get a better idea of whether I Really fancy them or it's more a sympatico kind of deal.

Also, there are a lot of guys I would never want to date but would quite like to kiss :oops: 8) 8O
But it IS a big deal because I DO want to date him. And do unspeakable things to him, but that would come later.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:

yup

most likely

He is such a cutie. He studied chemistry before, now he does psychology like me.

It's really hard to know without seeing the interaction firsthand, and knowing more about it, but there is a possibility he has noticed that you are very shy and wants to get to know you better, if he thinks you're cute.

He could also be trying to help get you out of your shell because he is a very empathetic person (I wouldn't say that he pities your shyness, he's probably more interested in getting to know you better. Some people are intrigued by the shy, they don't see it as a weakness, but more as just a different personality type that takes time to get to know.)

As you two get to know each other more, if he continues to express interest in talking to you, wanting to hang out, wants to learn about your interests, then he is interested in you. If he starts to sort of retreat, then it means he isn't interested in you anymore like that and doesn't want to give you the wrong impression. But don't take it to heart! Many girls feel as though there is something wrong with them or that they drove their crush away, but usually (almost always) it has nothing to do with them at all. The chemistry wasn't there.

Definitely try to get to know him better, though! Ask him about himself! What sort of music does he like? What are his favorite movies, T.V. shows, what are his hobbies? Be sure to have some of the same questions lined up if he asks you the same!

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:15 am

Nope, definitely doesn't like me.
He'd been talking about how he didn't want to find a relationship, and so this is the convo that followed:

Me:No, it's not that. My point was basically that, whilst you've friendzoned me and that's cool, I would want to see you be happy, and want to see you find someone. It's annoying for you to write as though you can't be arsed to get out there and find someone. However, you've since re-explained and it makes more sense.

Him: Ah, I see your issue with the situation. I'm sorry that I presented it that way, as it's not what I meant.

Me: s'okay

Him: I still maintain that you are a lovely person and will find someone.

I give up. Nice guys never like me. The nearest I get is guys wanting to use me, so I should just take that and smile and shut up.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:55 am

Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Stalk wrote:
yup

most likely

initial stages should be interested in you, he obviously wants to get to know you better. So just be you. If he doesn't like you then, you both are better off then. Your personality is rare, and people fear what they don't understand. They will come around.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 5:53 am

Alycat wrote:
He'd been talking about how he didn't want to find a relationship, and so this is the convo that followed:

Me:No, it's not that. My point was basically that, whilst you've friendzoned me and that's cool, I would want to see you be happy, and want to see you find someone. It's annoying for you to write as though you can't be arsed to get out there and find someone. However, you've since re-explained and it makes more sense.

Him: Ah, I see your issue with the situation. I'm sorry that I presented it that way, as it's not what I meant.

I give up. Nice guys never like me. The nearest I get is guys wanting to use me, so I should just take that and smile and shut up.

Um, I am confused by this exchange. It may be my poor grasp of English language. Why did you bring it up when we agreed you weren't going to say or do anything and will wait for him to make a move?

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:34 am

leafplant wrote:
Alycat wrote:

Um, I am confused by this exchange. It may be my poor grasp of English language. Why did you bring it up when we agreed you weren't going to say or do anything and will wait for him to make a move?
Because it was three AM and I was too tired to think straight. Anyway, it would have been pointless to wait when he doesn't like me, wouldn't it?
Given how rubbish I feel, you telling me off isn't exactly helping.