The reason why many are single

Page 5 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Dec 2013, 8:11 am

Me, because people deliberately avoid me because they think I'm a maniac.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 8:58 am

FMX wrote:

1) Approaching someone and initiating contact with them can be especially difficult for aspies. Since males are typically expected to do the approaching (and more generally "take the lead") this is more of a hindrance to them.
2) Social skills and confidence are both more important for males than for females in attracting a partner. These are reduced in aspies, which hinders all of them, but males more so than females. I could add "earning capacity" to the list, too, depending on how cynical I feel. ;)
3) The aspie way of thinking and interacting tends to be more masculine, which is a help to females in relating to (most) males, but a hindrance to males in relating to (most) females.

There are probably more, but this is enough. (Hell, #1 alone might be enough to explain it!)

Also, remember the diagnostic ratio is significantly less for women(4:1 M/F). Probably due in part to the fact that non-diagnosed autistic women often have NT boyfriends/husbands which makes them appear to be more normal on the surface.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Dec 2013, 9:06 am

I mean, I have no such luck because I don't know how to ask ANYONE to be my GF, like my old grade school friend.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 10:27 am

hale_bopp wrote:
leafplant wrote:
is because they are looking for a service provider, not someone to have a mutual exchange with.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

I don't know if this is true. Might be for some people but I don't reckon most.

What is the real reason then for most?

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm

The reason why most people are single is because... (drum rolls)

They don't know how to take their clothes off and touch each other right! :lol:

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

aspiemike wrote:
I look at Modern society as having become too ego-driven. Too many people are far too concerned with how others view them.

jerry00 wrote:
I would agree with this. Is there any proof of it though? My theory is that natural human relationships are being taken over by economic ones.
And people are becoming more selfish and ego driven as mike said. But I think that's the natural consequence of a society increasingly dependent on capitalism.

Here's an article that touches on what I mentioned: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22012957

:!:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

^Human relationships have always been, in part, economically driven. Even back in the days of cavemen it's the Alpha Male who wins the girl, because he's the big strong protective provider. Now we measure it a little more indirectly in terms of socioeconomic status as men aren't battling each other and beasts in order to bring food home for the fire, they're earning money - so the more money someone has, the better a provider they are, and thus the more attractive they are to others. But it's still really all the same thing, it's just that now it's not just braun that can win the women via being the biggest fastest strongest Alpha Male, it's largely brains that can acquire large sums of money in order to boost one's socioeconomic attractiveness.. hence so many scrawny geeks earning tons of money & attracting beautiful partners.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 9:12 pm

BlackImage wrote:
I'm single cos i'm too upfront and honest :? well that what one aspie guy told me.
Also i have a strong personality and i'm stubborn

I think people are become too sensitive and have had their backbone nerfed in planet Earth patch 2.1.

In the patch notes it declares:

- Common sense nerfed.
- Reaction time nerfed.
- B.S. Detectors nerfed for most classes except for INTJ and INTP classes.
- Honesty nerfed
- Horrified reactions towards honesty buffed by 25%
- Deception ability for social wizards buffed by 50%
- Mindless Follower skill buffed by 45% Anyone who has not experienced this effect is a hacker and will be nerfed out of existence.

More nerfs and buffs will occur when the management feels like it.

-Thanks

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2013, 12:12 am

I did not have my first girlfriend till I was 27 because of my Aspergers. I ended up Marrying that women. I would not be married if it wasn't for a close family that set us up. I have no problem dating women I'm set up with but, never able to go out and find one In The club.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:40 am

jerry00 wrote:
Acedia wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Or maybe because they have some condition that prevents them to normally develop interpersonal relationships? Like ......umm....Autism perhaps?

The problem seems to affect, although to a lesser extent, those that have developed typically as well.

Having an ASD makes it even harder. But there's probably more acceptance of people with autism now, but modern society is becoming increasingly unfriendly. More atomized. So in some ways it's worse now

I would agree with this. Is there any proof of it though? My theory is that natural human relationships are being taken over by economic ones.

And people are becoming more selfish and ego driven as mike said. But I think that's the natural consequence of a society increasingly dependent on capitalism.

well, I think the more simplistic version of that is:

Many autistic people can't work or can't keep a job for long, and people consider those who can't work or can't hold down a job to be "losers", regardless of the reason. They're not even likely to be sympathetic to disability reasons of unemployment (including autism).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:20 am

Shebakoby wrote:
jerry00 wrote:
Acedia wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Or maybe because they have some condition that prevents them to normally develop interpersonal relationships? Like ......umm....Autism perhaps?

The problem seems to affect, although to a lesser extent, those that have developed typically as well.

Having an ASD makes it even harder. But there's probably more acceptance of people with autism now, but modern society is becoming increasingly unfriendly. More atomized. So in some ways it's worse now

Many autistic people can't work or can't keep a job for long, and people consider those who can't work or can't hold down a job to be "losers", regardless of the reason. They're not even likely to be sympathetic to disability reasons of unemployment (including autism).

well, duh. And why should they? (accept any/all of that.) Seriously. Think about it. How are any of those character/life flaws attractive in the least bit? It's perfectly understandable why someone wouldn't want to date someone who wasn't able to cope with the basics of life as people are all looking for someone to better themselves, not bring them down.

I say this having been someone who was much lower functioning in life than I am now, especially for a 3-4 year or so period. I wasn't capable of working/holding down a job, had a horribly negative mindset, and was quite out of shape.. and thus was unattractive to others. Now that I'm happier, healthier, fitter, and back to work full time.. things are looking up. I'm certainly more attractive to others, but still holding out for the one person in my life I'd like to be with as I continue to work on improving myself in every way I can.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Shebakoby wrote:
jerry00 wrote:
Acedia wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

well, duh. And why should they? (accept any/all of that.)

Because the person in question still has some income for things like paying rent, etc. I suspect when NTs hear someone say "I don't have a job" they subconsciously assume the person has no income to speak of even if they get SSI benefits or something.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 4:41 am

Uprising wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
leafplant wrote:
is because they are looking for a service provider, not someone to have a mutual exchange with.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

I don't know if this is true. Might be for some people but I don't reckon most.

What is the real reason then for most?

Their standards are too high
They have no people skills

I think those two reasons sum it up for the majority of people who are always single, who don't want to be.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 4:51 am

hurtloam wrote:
I'm begining to feel like some of these "male" problems apply to me. I feel like my problem is that I'm not approaching men and talking to them so that they can get to know what I'm really like.

No men approach me, so I guess that I've got to learn to do the approaching, but I have little to no self confidence and it doesn't matter how much I blow dry my hair into a fancy hairdo or add mascara to my eyes to make them look bigger or wear a dress that emphasises my figure it seems that I just get stared at and no one talks to me. I've realised I have to change and start approaching men myself. But it feels like I'm not supposed to do it! It's so difficult to go against the grain.

Do you flirt? Maybe the guys assume you are unavailable.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2013, 5:16 am

My reasons for being single:

1- Autistic and socially awkward, nearly no one likes me as a person, and who would want a relationship with an a**-hol* like me.
2- Hypersensitive: can't stand hugs, kisses, hand holding, just about anything else...
3- Aromantic.
4- Gender defiant. Most people demand gender stereotypes.
5- Nerdy, obsessed with projects, doing my own things.
6- Can't stand nagging and prying.
7- Not interested in being a follower/servant.
8- Requires stimming time and wind down breaks.
9- Not interested in trying to pretend to be NT.
10- Don't want children or STDs or drama.
11- Employment difficulties, mainly because of #1, also #4.
12- There is more on the list but these are more than enough already.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 5:43 am

Venger wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Shebakoby wrote:
jerry00 wrote:
Acedia wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

well, duh. And why should they? (accept any/all of that.)

Because the person in question still has some income for things like paying rent, etc. I suspect when NTs hear someone say "I don't have a job" they subconsciously assume the person has no income to speak of even if they get SSI benefits or something.

If we're going to equate income level to attractiveness.. receiving a very small sum of government assistance income in order to survive month to month isn't exactly the kind of money that others seeking a provider are going to find attractive. Sure, it's better than nothing all - of course - but it's not exactly the kind of income where someone else can look over and think, "if I were with that person, we could live a good life together on their income." Even though people don't think in those exact words, they do think in those terms. SSI benefits or something is not exactly "the good life," money.. not by the furthest stretch of the imagination.