Who here thinks the Alpha/Beta Male theory is false?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:58 am

FunkMasterMike wrote:
So one of my friends, who knows all the tricks of the trade of being a pick-up artist...is standing very firm on his belief of the "Alpha/beta male" theory. One thing is that all animals in the wild, have alpha and beta males. "The alpha spreads his stronger genes while the weak ones die out." He said he was at the zoo and the alpha of the gorillas was having sex while the other "beta" males just sit back and watch. Not to mention that, but he also mentioned, "Women don't know what they want in relationships. They want a man to be dominant." I have seen this topic come up many times on forums. It seems there's two sides of what each gender "wants." Also I heard women are more interested in tone...but seriously, I did listen to his tips. But it's not me...haha...I wouldn't feel like myself.

I have heard of this theory, but from my standpoint, don't really believe in it much. The way I see it, is women, are attracted to all kinds of men. Some like macho men, some like intelligence, some like men that are laid-back. So in theory, if it were me (laid-back, mellow) and my friend (small scrawny guy who is tatted up) and the woman is more interested in a laid-back personality, I'd "win" the game, right? Not to mention, most people have standards.

We are humans, not dogs, not cats, not gorillas, not tigers chillin' in the jungle. So since our minds are so much more diverse, we would be "ahead" of this theory, then. (not to mention in 2014...there's so much more diversity than in 2000).

Why does science believe in this theory for humans?

It is true but there's always the exception the proves the rule, not every single female wants an alpha male. They're all attracted to those who have said traits and not a single woman on this planet wants to date a push-over.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2014, 8:23 am

There are alphas. But they're rare. Besides myself I know one other alpha male and two other alpha females. All are nice people that have no problem with accepting others. The two genders have separate packs so the leaders of the same gender are chosen subconsciously. Nothing violent, nothing immoral. The packs like said people a lot. There is no competition involved. All this is good to know. Gay males belong in the male pack, gay females belong in the female pack. Everyone, no matter who they are is accepted. Noone is a bad person. We've also found the answer to bullying in general. Turns out that when people offend others, those others retaliate. So they're misunderstandings. It just needs to be talked out. I'd question how humans would have survived in nature if they kept in packs of three people. The liking of the alpha seems to be very subconscious and even if pointed out, people don't seem to notice it. We always thought nature was amazing but wow. Sometimes they bully to impress alphas but that's because of the stereotypes. The alphas disapprove and can stop it peacefully. Interestingly, if a female is sexually mature and not in a relationship, she will be instantly attracted to an alpha male. But not if in a relationship which implies they don't need to reproduce any more than others. We originally discovered this when we were trying to achieve a utopia. A world that would be fair for all. A world without corruption and bullying. Probably because I was bullied once but I'm best friends with my "bullies" now. And every other male in school. Also works online. So nature is even more amazing right? We have no doubts about this anymore. The election system also doesn't seem that bad. Except that there should be two leaders. One male and the other female. No, they don't have to be in a relationship.

Kyuubi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

I think that many females are still rooted to their basic, primitive tastes in men. those tastes tell them that they want a man who constantly dominates others.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm

Kyuubi wrote:
I think that many females are still rooted to their basic, primitive tastes in men. those tastes tell them that they want a man who constantly dominates others.

Don't know what you're talking about, they've always been "like this". Dominating others is not attractive though.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 2:55 am

Personally I think the whole idea is hilarious. Something is only true if you believe it to be so, I certainly don't believe in this nonsense.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 4:31 am

FunkMasterMike wrote:
So one of my friends, who knows all the tricks of the trade of being a pick-up artist...is standing very firm on his belief of the "Alpha/beta male" theory. One thing is that all animals in the wild, have alpha and beta males. "The alpha spreads his stronger genes while the weak ones die out." He said he was at the zoo and the alpha of the gorillas was having sex while the other "beta" males just sit back and watch. Not to mention that, but he also mentioned, "Women don't know what they want in relationships. They want a man to be dominant." I have seen this topic come up many times on forums. It seems there's two sides of what each gender "wants." Also I heard women are more interested in tone...but seriously, I did listen to his tips. But it's not me...haha...I wouldn't feel like myself.

I have heard of this theory, but from my standpoint, don't really believe in it much. The way I see it, is women, are attracted to all kinds of men. Some like macho men, some like intelligence, some like men that are laid-back. So in theory, if it were me (laid-back, mellow) and my friend (small scrawny guy who is tatted up) and the woman is more interested in a laid-back personality, I'd "win" the game, right? Not to mention, most people have standards.

We are humans, not dogs, not cats, not gorillas, not tigers chillin' in the jungle. So since our minds are so much more diverse, we would be "ahead" of this theory, then. (not to mention in 2014...there's so much more diversity than in 2000).

when i read this i couldn't help but wonder--why are you friends with this guy?

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2014, 12:54 am

starvingartist wrote:
FunkMasterMike wrote:

when i read this i couldn't help but wonder--why are you friends with this guy?

Are you implying pack animals or that we should be judgemental because of a person's viewpoints?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 6:30 pm

Would you be friends with an active racist, just because he wasn't racist against your particular type?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 6:58 pm

LKL wrote:
Would you be friends with an active racist, just because he wasn't racist against your particular type?

well yes. Sometimes you have no choice. I have found (very late in life) that one of my life long friends is racist. Sure, she lives somewhere where there are hardly any other races around, but still. I am not in touch with her regularly any more but I can't stop being friends with her just because she is secretly racist. I try to gently nudge her into more secular thinking whenever possible, but part of being friends for me means accepting the person the way they are.

Note: my own grandmother also disapproves of black people. Unless she knows them personally in which case they couldn't be nicer people in the world. :roll:

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

He goes to the zoo for dating tips? From gorillas?!

8O

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 7:12 pm

perhaps it's strange, but i was always drawn to develop friendships with people whose morality/basic code of values more or less matched my own. i've always found relationships with people who don't match me in that particular way don't last--how could they?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 7:54 pm

starvingartist wrote:
perhaps it's strange, but i was always drawn to develop friendships with people whose morality/basic code of values more or less matched my own. i've always found relationships with people who don't match me in that particular way don't last--how could they?

I always try and strive towards this goal but it never happens.

a) I am too unique

b) I am too accepting

c) I am too nonjudgmental

d) some people became my friends when we weren't even able to articulate full sentences let alone have a code of values.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 8:42 pm

I find it easy to be friends with people of different religious or even (less often) political views than my own, but I tend to feel that someone who categorically disrespects or dislikes large groups of other people, based only on their category, is not trustworthy; ie, he or she only likes me because he assumes I'm w,x,y, and z, and if he found out that I'm actually n,x,y, and z, he'd turn me in to the SS (or, in the real world, drop me as a friend and/or hurt me) in a heartbeat. For instance, would my white-supremacist 'friend' still be my 'friend' if he knew that my dark hair and eyes come from a Dakota Sioux great grandmother? Would my ableist 'friend' still be my friend if he found out I consider myself borderline autistic? Would my homophobic 'friend' still be my friend if he found out that I get undressed in the dressing room at the dojo with gay people, and it doesn't bother me? And so on.

Would your sexist 'friend' mock you and call you 'pussy-whipped' or 'hen-pecked' or insinuate that you're a coward if you treated your spouse's/girlfriends opinions as being as valid, and having as much weight, as his own? Would he make comments like, 'Bros before ho's' if you chose to do something to strengthen your relationship with your wife and/or family, rather than doing something with him? If you had a daughter or a young sister, would he see them as legitimate targets (or refrain from treating them as targets only because they are your "property")?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:06 pm

LKL wrote:
I find it easy to be friends with people of different religious or even (less often) political views than my own, but I tend to feel that someone who categorically disrespects or dislikes large groups of other people, based only on their category, is not trustworthy; ie, he or she only likes me because he assumes I'm w,x,y, and z, and if he found out that I'm actually n,x,y, and z, he'd turn me in to the SS (or, in the real world, drop me as a friend and/or hurt me) in a heartbeat. For instance, would my white-supremacist 'friend' still be my 'friend' if he knew that my dark hair and eyes come from a Dakota Sioux great grandmother? Would my ableist 'friend' still be my friend if he found out I consider myself borderline autistic? Would my homophobic 'friend' still be my friend if he found out that I get undressed in the dressing room at the dojo with gay people, and it doesn't bother me? And so on.

Would your sexist 'friend' mock you and call you 'p****-whipped' or 'hen-pecked' or insinuate that you're a coward if you treated your spouse's/girlfriends opinions as being as valid, and having as much weight, as his own? Would he make comments like, 'Bros before ho's' if you chose to do something to strengthen your relationship with your wife and/or family, rather than doing something with him? If you had a daughter or a young sister, would he see them as legitimate targets (or refrain from treating them as targets only because they are your "property")?

when i speak of a basic moral code, i don't mean political or religious values, i'm talking basic humanistic values like treating people equally and being compassionate and honest. i don't care what god you believe in or even who you vote for--i care about how you behave, what you stand for and how you treat people, and that is how i will judge whether i think i can be friends with someone or not.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:47 pm

Yes. A good person makes a good friend; a bad person makes a bad 'friend,' whose friendship is contingent and who, like as not, is just using you for some ulterior motive rather than true friendship or loyalty.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2014, 12:27 am

LKL wrote:
Yes. A good person makes a good friend; a bad person makes a bad 'friend,' whose friendship is contingent and who, like as not, is just using you for some ulterior motive rather than true friendship or loyalty.

Noone is really a bad person. And I mean noone. My life to it. It's a misundersranding. I saw people that way and thought I was the nerd but then I found I was the alpha instead. To the males that is. Which means pack leader which means helping people, not mating. Really, they treated me so much differently and I saw it negatively. Once my research on human psychology got far enough, I became a celebrity of sorts. Noone really gets why. So these misunderstandings can go pretty far as you can see.