If you've ever felt bad about online dating...

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DigitalDesperado
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2014, 1:34 pm

Online dating is brutal for most guys and even more so for sincere, sensitive AS guys. Message as many women as possible, because as you already know - most will not reply. Keep in mind that you have 'rejected' many of the women in your search results for one reason or another, as we all have.

Be realistic about the women you message, to be brutally honest, you have to find women that are in your 'league' socially. There is a 'nice' girl out there that is waiting for you to message her and I mean 'nice' in all the best ways. You know what I mean?

Here are a few profile suggestions for your consideration:

- Remove the picture of you in the red chair
- Make the picture of you in your firefighting gear your main picture
- You mention that you grew up on a farm twice
- Describe what you would want to do on a first date - be assertive.
- Headline? Firefighter looking to heat things up with someone special

Good luck

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 2:39 pm

I like that headline.

The red chair picture has been one of the most controversial ones I've posted. People either seem to love it or hate it. Some people have said it looks great that I can make fun of myself falling out of a chair and smile. Others have said it looks like a drunken mess.

Here are a sample of some of the messages. I would love some feedback/advice on better messaging. I try not to write to much, and always show that I read their profile by asking a question. It doesn't seem to be working.

"I do love to travel too, it would be awesome to have someone to go with though. I've been to New England, Texas, Arizona, California, England, and Japan. I'd really like to see the alps and visit Israel too. How about you?"

"Hey

What are you getting into in the medical field? Nurse, tech, emt? I got into EMS last year and it's really rewarding. Any fun plans for the weekend?"

"Hey

Congrats on graduating and becoming a nurse. Not only do you get to help people, but you (hopefully) get the cool schedule. I like your pictures, it looks like you have done some awesome stuff. Have you done any zip lining around MD/PA area? Or tubing? One of my summer to-do's this year is tubing at Harpers Ferry."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I like that headline.

The red chair picture has been one of the most controversial ones I've posted. People either seem to love it or hate it. Some people have said it looks great that I can make fun of myself falling out of a chair and smile. Others have said it looks like a drunken mess.

Here are a sample of some of the messages. I would love some feedback/advice on better messaging. I try not to write to much, and always show that I read their profile by asking a question. It doesn't seem to be working.

"I do love to travel too, it would be awesome to have someone to go with though. I've been to New England, Texas, Arizona, California, England, and Japan. I'd really like to see the alps and visit Israel too. How about you?"

"Hey

What are you getting into in the medical field? Nurse, tech, emt? I got into EMS last year and it's really rewarding. Any fun plans for the weekend?"

"Hey

Congrats on graduating and becoming a nurse. Not only do you get to help people, but you (hopefully) get the cool schedule. I like your pictures, it looks like you have done some awesome stuff. Have you done any zip lining around MD/PA area? Or tubing? One of my summer to-do's this year is tubing at Harpers Ferry."

Are you Jew? Maybe Christians in your area don't like the idea to marry a Jew or some of other religion.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 9:52 pm

Not Jewish.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 3:34 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
Is it the artificial interaction of online dating sites that makes it difficult? For instance, a lot of stuff I read on a profile, I would not know until well into forming a bond with a person in real life. Therefore, I can be super-critical and picky of people on online dating sites, more quick to reject a person.

Also, there is something to be said for hearing a person's voice or seeing them in vivo when it comes to making a connection. Email or text message seems to sterile.

I don't know. This is just a theory I have.

I totally agree. Even as a stereotypical Aspie, the #1 thing I look for in a woman is that "aura" she gives off. I don't know how to put it into words but it's a person that puts your mind at ease and you KNOW they are kindhearted and gentle. There is no possible way to see this online. As well, my profile mentions my obsession (hockey) but I COULD NOT CARE LESS if a girl was into sports at all. I would be more than willing (and have in the past) to cut my hockey time in half and do what the woman desired. Love is not rational and can't be summarized with a computer code or a drop-down list.

Given how my grandparents both stayed married until the end, theres a lot to be said about the old way. My Grandparents all had little in common except they loved each other. Given how online dating works, I wonder what the divorce rates are going to be 10-20 years down the road? 65%?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:08 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I like that headline.

"Hey

"Hey

Maybe you need to pull back a bit. You are talking to them as if you already know them, whereas you need to take some time going back and forth making small talk almost until you get the sign from them that they want to step it up to the next level.

Also, it's best when you don't know someone to ask open ended questions - the idea is to make it comfortable for the other person to feel inclined to open up to you about whatever it is they find important or relevant to themselves at that time.

Are these messages to one person? You sound very hyper in your messages as if you are about to take off at great speed. Maybe you need to lay of caffeine/adrenaline when you are using OKC? :lol:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

^ I'm a bit confused...where in those messages does he go beyond small talk? It all sounds pretty generic and casual to me.

Also, what would be a "sign" that she wants to step it up? I have no clue about those things, could be very useful info for many of us.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
^ I'm a bit confused...where in those messages does he go beyond small talk? It all sounds pretty generic and casual to me.

Also, what would be a "sign" that she wants to step it up? I have no clue about those things, could be very useful info for many of us.

Well maybe it's not then, idk, I guess I am not very open when I first meet someone. Also I wasn't sure if that was all to same person or to different people. It just sounded to me like one of those overly eager people who try to go too far too soon, but I guess maybe I am off on that estimation. Also, outside of UK people are much more likely to engage in personal talk with strangers anyway :shrug:

I think the sign would be if she says something direct and personal about herself or asks him a question. But it really depends on each person I suppose.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 6:45 pm

leafplant wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Well maybe it's not then, idk, I guess I am not very open when I first meet someone. Also I wasn't sure if that was all to same person or to different people. It just sounded to me like one of those overly eager people who try to go too far too soon, but I guess maybe I am off on that estimation. Also, outside of UK people are much more likely to engage in personal talk with strangers anyway :shrug:

I think the sign would be if she says something direct and personal about herself or asks him a question. But it really depends on each person I suppose.

I'm not suggesting you are off in your estimation, the "levels of friendship/relationship" is something I've never understood so I'm just trying to learn. I actually wouldn't even know how to ask something less personal than the questions he asks...if I asked about the weather (is that what you mean?) I'd feel silly, but maybe that is what most people do.

If a "sign" that she wants the conversation to get more personal is that she asks him a question, isn't that sort of saying that it's up to her how the conversation goes? She's allowed to ask a personal question first but he is not? Doesn't seem fair to me.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

No, they are different people.

I am curious you find them too personal; they are all based on information provided in the profiles.

The first one specifically discusses her love of travel. The 2nd one mentions graduating and becoming a nurse and how much she loves it. The third one discusses loving outdoor stuff and has a picture of her ziplining. I suppose in heindsight you could make an argument that "any fun plans for the weekend" might not be appropriate.

What suggestions would you have for being less personal? I've often read that women get mad because most guys don't read their profile.

I've never heard the hyper before, I guess i'm just trying to write with an upbeat friendly tone.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:06 am

^^both, idk why I am trying to give advice, there is a reason I am on this forum so much :roll: at self.

the only thing I will mention is that old chestnut - it's not so much what you say but how you say it. But you have to be a bit of a mind reader to know what the other person will respond to (so read HOW they said things in their profile and try to reply in a similar tone)

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:05 am

I am messaging a girl and we talked swapped "war stories". One thing that struck me was how she complained about how I was the only guy who had intelligent things to say and said how most men only give a quick, generic hello that she doesn't respond to. The irony seemed to be lost on her (she initiated contact) that she literally did it herself! Her first message was "Hi, How are you?" I swear I'm not making that up!

I will leave my profile up so that hopefully people can see me in public and identify me as single (since I tend to stand out) but I am not wasting anymore like messaging girls. It seems you can't win no matter what you say.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 9:36 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I am messaging a girl and we talked swapped "war stories". One thing that struck me was how she complained about how I was the only guy who had intelligent things to say and said how most men only give a quick, generic hello that she doesn't respond to. The irony seemed to be lost on her (she initiated contact) that she literally did it herself! Her first message was "Hi, How are you?" I swear I'm not making that up!

I will leave my profile up so that hopefully people can see me in public and identify me as single (since I tend to stand out) but I am not wasting anymore like messaging girls. It seems you can't win no matter what you say.

I completely believe you. People are just nuts and generally entirely lack basic self awareness, it does my head in.

Can we see your profile? You are always talking about how good looking you are and I am curious !

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 10:10 am

leafplant wrote:
I completely believe you. People are just nuts and generally entirely lack basic self awareness, it does my head in.

Can we see your profile? You are always talking about how good looking you are and I am curious !

I actually don't think I am good looking at all in fact I think I am anything but I'm just parroting what I am told. I don't wish to publicly show my profile as it would identify me but I will PM you the link.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
leafplant wrote:

I actually don't think I am good looking at all in fact I think I am anything but I'm just parroting what I am told. I don't wish to publicly show my profile as it would identify me but I will PM you the link.

You better show her, otherwise she gonna find it anyway.

Believe me.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:45 pm

leafplant wrote:
^^both, idk why I am trying to give advice, there is a reason I am on this forum so much :roll: at self.

the only thing I will mention is that old chestnut - it's not so much what you say but how you say it. But you have to be a bit of a mind reader to know what the other person will respond to (so read HOW they said things in their profile and try to reply in a similar tone)

You have offered constructive criticisms I have never heard before, so I was interested in them. I've often found I can help others find love, but not myself.