Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2014, 2:41 pm

Halfmadgenius, frist falure is the key to sucess, the only way to make any real progress is by intreacting with real flesh and blood peaple. Forget about online stuff, face to face in person is the only way foward.

You could try to reframe what you are looking for, pehaps what you are really looking for is this, the innovators and early adopters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3fIEPfctQ[/youtube]

And going to a TED event might be a place to start.

The deep south is not an ideal place for this, if you wish to increase your odds you will have to travel.
Here is a way that may, it is wifi adoptaion, look to the early 2000's you will see where the early adopter are.
https://wigle.net/

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 4:01 pm

I can't afford to travel, that's why I was online. I can't even afford a car and am about to get into it with my boss over 3 months pay she is trying to screw me out of. I have $200 dollars in savings and I need to be saving that for next winter. (I had $500 but had to dip in to it to pay my heating bill.)

My mom did some investigation and found a big bowling alley near me. I don't have any friends to bowl with but it has a gameroom and pizzaria. I plan to try that next week.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 4:05 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Halfmadgenius wrote:
No, I was not able to go to college for various reasons. But I am an intellectual. It's not about marrying up. It is about wanting some one on my level to talk to. If he isn't able to enjoy and discuss documentaries with me neither of us will be happy. I'll still be lonely and I'll drive him nuts.

And would you date a man without a college degree? I highly doubt that, and I highly doubt that you would even give him the chance to explain the various reasons that prevented him to pursue a college degree, as if that would change anything for you.

Why the phd guy should give you a chance and listen to your reasons?

Did you miss the posts about flirting with the Lowes cashier? He's certainly not a PhD, But I fear if I did get to go out with him we'd have nothing to talk about. Yes, I would give him a chance. if he indicated a decent intellect. I look specifically for educated men though because of a reasonable expectation of intelligence. Are they guaranteed to be geniuses? No, but they are more likely than the unemployed douche on OKcupid with a vulgar screen name who uses text speak to proposition women. And I have had more of them than I can count contact me.

What specifically is your fascination with "intellectualism"? What does the word entail to you? Is it related to a person's interests, level of intelligence, educational background, personality, or other? You say that you are an intellectual - why do you consider yourself to be one? Would others, upon meeting you, consider you to be an intellectual as well? I think that these are very important questions to answer. If you don't portray yourself as intellectual to the outside world, then they may never know that you are one! How you define intellectualism in others is important to know when looking for ways to meet people.

One thing that you could try, if you haven't already, is to take up so-called intellectual hobbies. Listen to classical music and go to the symphony (and take up an instrument if you're really serious!), go to art museums, read the classic literature/poetry (possibly in a book club), subscribe to scientific journals and stay on top of the most recent technological developments/scientific discoveries. If you can participate in, and enjoy, these activities, you are more likely to find someone who enjoys them as well. And that person may just be a so-called "intellectual".

PS: I consider myself to be quite intelligent, but I would never be able to enjoy or discuss documentaries. They're one of life's many evils!

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 4:06 pm

It's funny how "has PhD" got equated with "is a genius" in this thread. There's quite a difference. Even guys with PhDs are generally a long way from "geniuses" - though they're not stupid, I'll grant you that. Sorry to nitpick, I just hate seeing that word abused.

On a more practical matter, I think Eureka13 makes a good point: having a PhD doesn't mean you can talk to them about all sorts of intellectual things. It just means they know quite a lot about a particular (usually very narrow) subject. (And yes - that they're not stupid.)

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2014, 4:22 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
My mom did some investigation and found a big bowling alley near me. I don't have any friends to bowl with but it has a gameroom and pizzaria. I plan to try that next week.

Thats great, do it.

What skills do you have?

DevKit
Raven
Raven

04 May 2014, 11:07 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
I can't afford to travel, that's why I was online. I can't even afford a car and am about to get into it with my boss over 3 months pay she is trying to screw me out of. I have $200 dollars in savings and I need to be saving that for next winter. (I had $500 but had to dip in to it to pay my heating bill.)

If you are struggling so much in your own life why are you so judgmental about some "unemployed douche" on the internet. No offense but working at Lowes is just BARLEY better than being unemployed and hardly enough to even make it worth it.

I lost my last regular day job and its not because im stupid, it was because of my sensory integration issues. I happen to be a designer, a programmer and a published artist who is just at the break thru point of making it my self thru my own talents and company. You could wrongly assume to me to be a douche because of that if you wanted but it would be your loss. I still have more than 200$ in savings.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are making things unrealistically difficult for your self as an excuse to not actually have to socialize with people?

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 12:39 am

DevKit wrote:
Halfmadgenius wrote:

If you are struggling so much in your own life why are you so judgmental about some "unemployed douche" on the internet. No offense but working at Lowes is just BARLEY better than being unemployed and hardly enough to even make it worth it.

I lost my last regular day job and its not because im stupid, it was because of my sensory integration issues. I happen to be a designer, a programmer and a published artist who is just at the break thru point of making it my self thru my own talents and company. You could wrongly assume to me to be a douche because of that if you wanted but it would be your loss. I still have more than 200$ in savings.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are making things unrealistically difficult for your self as an excuse to not actually have to socialize with people?

I have a job, I take care of myself. Yes, I struggle, but I manage. He needs to do the same. I am not able or willing to support another. Besides, I already supported one a$$hole through trucking school and he repaid me by cheating on me with a friend while I was watching her kid. Not supporting another jerk.
And if a guy lost his job he needs to focus on finding another before hitting on women on the net. Priorities and all. I am not the only woman who will refuse to support him.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 1:13 am

FMX wrote:
It's funny how "has PhD" got equated with "is a genius" in this thread. There's quite a difference. Even guys with PhDs are generally a long way from "geniuses" - though they're not stupid, I'll grant you that. Sorry to nitpick, I just hate seeing that word abused.

On a more practical matter, I think Eureka13 makes a good point: having a PhD doesn't mean you can talk to them about all sorts of intellectual things. It just means they know quite a lot about a particular (usually very narrow) subject. (And yes - that they're not stupid.)

It's because of the OP's wording, making phd sounds equal genius.

And phds aren't usually that narrow, not all of them are autistic savants.

DevKit
Raven
Raven

05 May 2014, 1:59 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
DevKit wrote:
Halfmadgenius wrote:

I have a job, I take care of myself. Yes, I struggle, but I manage. He needs to do the same. I am not able or willing to support another. Besides, I already supported one a$$hole through trucking school and he repaid me by cheating on me with a friend while I was watching her kid. Not supporting another jerk.
And if a guy lost his job he needs to focus on finding another before hitting on women on the net. Priorities and all. I am not the only woman who will refuse to support him.

Ok. Good luck finding your gainfully employed PhD at the bowling arcade.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 10:07 am

DevKit wrote:

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 3:03 pm

I've always defined "intellectual" as someone who sees knowledge not just as a means to an end, but as an end in itself. One who has an ongoing love of learning.

Being in possession of a higher degree may or may not indicate that the holder of such is an intellectual, but it does indicate that he/she is probably of at least average, or higher, intelligence. Like I said, it's a reasonable starting place for looking for intelligence (especially on online dating sites) but is probably not the defining factor of intelligence or intellectualism.

Cazz333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2014, 5:57 pm

starrynightmare wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, halfmadgenius. I have a great need to have intellectual conversations and be on a similar level of engagement with the world as the one I date. I've also been called elitist, but it's a personal preference I would rather not abandon for the sake of avoiding that.

After the 5000th dating site message from a guy with high school or some random college credits who thinks "your hot" it just gets frustrating.

I had way too many of those responses once. I got so tired sorting through the replies I had to close my account. I bore a non- intellectual dating wise because they feel awkward around me and find little to say.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2014, 7:58 pm

Halfmadgenius by your discription it sounds like you dont have much of a job and it pays very little, so if you moved you would not be out of much. It sounds like you have nothing therefore have little to loose.

A small hick town with a small population in the deep south will limit you. The reality is you will be stuck in a rut with few options. That is if you do not take a chance and look beyond the six pack borderes.

If you have a degree, any degree will do, a job as an English teacher in China, Korea or Japan, I am not joking you could do that very easly.
Even in India, you could easly hook an ambitious 7 figure USD level kind of guy there, white girls are ultra high status there.
You could have a rap sheet a mile long, 31 year girl reasonably attractive, bud tender in any weed dispencery in California and they will pay you on time.
Really a 31 years old reasonalbly attractive girl could find some flunky job anywhere in Canada or the USA.
If you want to keep that small town feel you could belly flop into a place like Wood Buffalo Canada and get in the oil biz, work in a strip club part time, you sure wont be worred about a measly 200 bucks there.
You would be shocked at what you could do if you could think outside of your box.
Chaging your location can greatly change your options.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2014, 8:41 pm

trollcatman wrote:
DevKit wrote:

Unfortunatly it is very unlikely you would find three sucessful actors at the same time at a bowling alley in the deep south. But any practice interacting with peaple can be a good thing.

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2014, 11:23 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
I've always defined "intellectual" as someone who sees knowledge not just as a means to an end, but as an end in itself. One who has an ongoing love of learning.

Being in possession of a higher degree may or may not indicate that the holder of such is an intellectual, but it does indicate that he/she is probably of at least average, or higher, intelligence. Like I said, it's a reasonable starting place for looking for intelligence (especially on online dating sites) but is probably not the defining factor of intelligence or intellectualism.

Indeed.

Intellect comes in many forms though, as does wisdom. Academia is a pursuit not chased by everyone and I respect that.

Academia doesn't make you business minded though, it doesn't give you the ability to run a business, market a product, secure clients or make wise investments in equities, shares and mutual funds.

Teaching tends to have a high success rate in the first year, being a real estate agent or day trader on the other hand tends to have a much lower success rate in the first few years.

However being a teacher won't lead you to the pot of gold but it can give you a nice living.