WTF is up with this "entitled to sex" meme?

Page 3 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 8:45 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Sorry for my confusion. When you used the word women, I thought you meant women. And as a women that would have meant me too. I did not know, that in US english "women" automatically means "that women who feel self entitled". Seems english is harder then I thought.

So if I would rant, that men feels themselves entitled to be slobby mama-boys, not doing any housework, its other peoples fault, if they are not able to read in my mind, that I only mean the few ones, that are really like that?

It doesn't but you can infer from the context that this is what he meant. Here's the his quote again with the significant part highlighted in bold, which clearly indicates that he was not saying that all women feel entitled to free meals:

CommanderKeen wrote:
If we're going to go this route, we can argue that women feel entitled to a free dinner. If women feel that men who take them out aren't entitled to sex, that's fine, but they themselves shouldn't feel entitled for the man to pay their way on a date, atleast not until they are actually dating.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 9:05 am

Jono wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:
Sorry for my confusion. When you used the word women, I thought you meant women. And as a women that would have meant me too. I did not know, that in US english "women" automatically means "that women who feel self entitled". Seems english is harder then I thought.

So if I would rant, that men feels themselves entitled to be slobby mama-boys, not doing any housework, its other peoples fault, if they are not able to read in my mind, that I only mean the few ones, that are really like that?

It doesn't but you can infer from the context that this is what he meant. Here's the his quote again with the significant part highlighted in bold, which clearly indicates that he was not saying that all women feel entitled to free meals:

CommanderKeen wrote:
If we're going to go this route, we can argue that women feel entitled to a free dinner. If women feel that men who take them out aren't entitled to sex, that's fine, but they themselves shouldn't feel entitled for the man to pay their way on a date, atleast not until they are actually dating.

Thanks, Jono.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 11:57 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
Let me break down my original statement.
"If we're going to go this route, we can argue that women feel entitled to a free dinner. If women feel that men who take them out aren't entitled to sex, that's fine, but they themselves shouldn't feel entitled for the man to pay their way on a date, atleast not until they are actually dating."
So in order words women who feel that men are not self entitled to sex, those SAME women should not feel self entitled to getting free meals.

Noooo, you're making it worse, not better. You're now making it look like food and sex are equal. If a woman doens't give sex, she shouldn't get her dinner paid for her. So if she's willing to provide sex, then does she get a free meal?

That's what it looks like you are implying. Those women who feel that men are not self entitled to sex, should not feel self entitled to getting free meals? What about other women? It sounds like they should get free meals becuase they give sex.

This doesn't even make any sense. 8O

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 12:09 pm

hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
"If we're going to go this route, we can argue that women feel entitled to a free dinner. If women feel that men who take them out aren't entitled to sex, that's fine, but they themselves shouldn't feel entitled for the man to pay their way on a date, atleast not until they are actually dating."
So in order words women who feel that men are not self entitled to sex, those SAME women should not feel self entitled to getting free meals.

Noooo, you're making it worse, not better. You're now making it look like food and sex are equal. If a woman doens't give sex, she shouldn't get her dinner paid for her. So if she's willing to provide sex, then does she get a free meal?

That's what it looks like you are implying. Those women who feel that men are not self entitled to sex, should not feel self entitled to getting free meals? What about other women? It sounds like they should get free meals becuase they give sex.

That's not what he means either. He's not implying that it's normal for men to feel entitled to something in return for paying for dinner. He has simply observed that some women feel entitled to free dinner because men are expected to pay for them and comparing it to men who feel entitled to sex. He sees it as hypocrisy if the same women who bemoan the men who feel entitlement to something, to feel entitled to something themselves.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Jono wrote:
That's not what he means either. He's not implying that it's normal for men to feel entitled to something in return for paying for dinner. He has simply observed that some women feel entitled to free dinner because men are expected to pay for them and comparing it to men who feel entitled to sex. He sees it as hypocrisy if the same women who bemoan the men who feel entitlement to something, to feel entitled to something themselves.

But it's not even remotely similar! It's selfish to want someone to feed you just because they are the opposite sex, but it's not hypocritical because sex and food are not the same. One can be done in a room full of people, the other cannot be done at a table in a restaurant without the staff kicking you out.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Jono wrote:

But it's not even remotely similar! It's selfish to want someone to feed you just because they are the opposite sex, but it's not hypocritical because sex and food are not the same. One can be done in a room full of people, the other cannot be done at a table in a restaurant without the staff kicking you out.

:lol:

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Jono wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's the same thing or not, self entitlement is self entitlement.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

yes, but from what i can gather all the women here don't expect men to pay for their dates--so who is he talking to? where are these hypocrites he's complaining about, and why is he complaining about them to us?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:29 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

yes, but from what i can gather all the women here don't expect men to pay for their dates--so who is he talking to? where are these hypocrites he's complaining about, and why is he complaining about them to us?

Seriously starvingartist, are we only supposed to be talking about the women here on WP? lol

Tarantella made a thread about street harassers, even tho there's only one case here who admitted doing that.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:32 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

So, you are saying that since women on this web forum don't expect their dates to pay for them, that women like that don't exist? My original response was to the OP.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

So, you are saying that since women on this web forum don't expect their dates to pay for them, that women like that don't exist? My original response was to the OP.

i'm saying maybe you need to reconsider your conviction that such women are quite common, as you are currently being presented with contradictory evidence here from the women in this forum.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm

starvingartist wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

i'm saying maybe you need to reconsider your conviction that such women are quite common, as you are currently being presented with contradictory evidence here from the women in this forum.

Yeah three women on a web forum, two of whom aren't even in the US. I guess I've just imagined the women I've encountered in the past and my male and female friends have encountered.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

Seriously starvingartist, are we only supposed to be talking about the women here on WP? lol

Tarantella made a thread about street harassers, even tho there's only one case here who admitted doing that.

Yes, but you missed my point. The thread was about why being in the habit of making slurs and sexist remarks about women, and tolerating such things, is a bad idea. And plenty of that goes on here.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

As for the rest, I'm failing to see why this is an argument. Nobody is entitled to free restaurant meals or to sex. If you are really attracting the sort of people who get angry if either of these is not in the offing, then put a polite notice in your profile: you go dutch on dates, and you are not a hookup service. There, done.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ This strongly varies across the cultures and communities.
Hence why the half approach is called the Dutch approach.

I'm not sure where the guy I quoted is from.

He's probably American, as long Americans call the half approach as "going Dutch" approach then logically this means it's something foreign newly introduced to their culture and something not traditional yet for them.

just noticed this comment now, boo--"going dutch" has actually been around as a phrase in english for decades.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 3:08 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Jono wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's the same thing or not, self entitlement is self entitlement.

You can't blame a woman for falling prey to a prevalent social norm. The social norm is that the person doing the inviting, pays. The second person is the guest, the first person is the host. It isn't even about male or female, although in dating it ends up being male and female. Going against the social norm is possible, but it does require some additional level of information. If you don't want to buy dinner on the first date, ask her out for coffee. Or say you would like to meet for dinner, which is not the same as having a date (although whether or not she will pick up on that will depend on all the surrounding circumstances).