Anyone had any good experiences with online dating?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

charlie92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

I'm almost 22 and have never had a 'date' apart from a couple of years ago when me and a friend briefly became 'friends who kissed a lot', if that counts for anything. :P (btw we are still on good terms but we don't do any of that anymore. lol)

So yeah. I've never had a 'date' or a proper girlfriend. I don't know many people, so my chances of meeting someone nice through mutual friends are very limited. And I'm very awkward talking to strangers in person anyway.

The thought of online dating has crossed my mind quite a lot. I gave it a go briefly a while ago, and was so shocked when a girl actually got in contact with me first. We spoke briefly and I asked her if she wanted to go see a movie. She declined and insisted we go to a bar instead. And I don't like drinking, so it never ended up happening...

Anyone got any positive experiences with it? I think I'm more likely to get a date this way than to ever have the guts to ask someone out in person, but it's still scary and I worry a lot about seeming 'weird' to people.

KindOf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

Online dating made just asking people out look good.

I do know of one couple that met on PoF, though.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 1:44 pm

I once met a Vietnamese guy from his ad in the Village Voice. We went together for about 6 months then I broke it off because the relationship was getting in my way of become a professional musician. I thought I'd easily find someone else if the music didn't work out. I was wrong. Up till now I'm being punished for breaking that poor kid's heart because he'd cried and said he'd love me. Like a stupid fool I took him for granted, now I'm a lonely, depressed, miserable addicted mess who seems to have no future.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 1:51 pm

I've had quite a few dates. Mostly geared towards "hooking up," vs. a more traditional date. ALL of them over the years have been due to pre-arranging a date online. I've never asked someone out in person, but I find it incredibly easy to get a date, or arrange to hookup with someone depending on what you're looking for, online. Communicating via text is very easy and takes all the anxiety and guesswork out of it.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

I met the love of my life on an online dating site. I seriously doubt we would have met if not through the site, since we lived 150+ miles apart. I figure, if nothing else, it provides a larger pool of possible candidates, especially for people like me who live in remote areas and have limited opportunities for getting out and meeting people in real life.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

Nope.

I'm staying away from it for awhile.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:44 pm

Yep. Met a girl on OKC about a year ago. I'm now living with her.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

Weren't you afraid of meeting your dates for the first time? I am always afraid of rejection and not being able to meet others standards. I am always afraid of being found weird.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

in the uk POF is for chavs and wilderbeasts
okcupid is where the normal people go

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Weren't you afraid of meeting your dates for the first time? I am always afraid of rejection and not being able to meet others standards. I am always afraid of being found weird.

you are weird, and why shouldn't they love you for that?

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2014, 5:00 pm

I met my ex and one of my two good friends online. Even the relationship with my ex ended amicably, so you could say I had a satisfactory experience.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm

I have met quite a few amazing women online, some of whom I remain friends with. I would honestly say that many of the people I've met through online dating are far more interesting than most people I meet offline. Unfortunately, all of my experiences ended in rejection, but it doesn't stop me from using it, I look at it as an alternative option for meeting new people. One perk of it is that you can meet people who share your interests/personality, whereas offline it's very seldom that I meet anyone with a remotely similar personality, much less someone who shares my off-kilter interests.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2014, 7:39 pm

I don't think it's a good ideia, because people in internet can be totally diferent from at they really are in real life, you maybe fall in love by a "creation".

TinfoilHat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:

so true,

still laughing at this -

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:

POF is the Dollar General to OKC's Macy's.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 11:01 pm

I've had good luck with OKC, less so with most of the other sites.