People letting themselves go once in a relationship.

Page 29 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 10:05 pm

AlexanderDantes wrote:
Angel, Starving yourself and low intensity cardio isn't the way to go, you might lose weight but you will lose lots of strength and it's simply dangerous for your bodily functions.

I went from a 34 inch waist to a 29 inch one whilst increasing my chest size to almost 50 inches at the same time. I went from having arms with little vascularity to vein popping chiselled ones, your jaw will go from bloated to chiselled and you will start to see positive strength gains as you lose weight.

One thing I noticed in the gym is that the people with the best bodies train more intensely over the larger people. When I do 200 pull ups followed by 500 push ups with different variations, I definitely break a sweat because I set myself a time limit but even after that, I do an hour of weightlifting focusing on progressive tension overload.

Another good program I record which teaches you to use your body weight is Tapout XT but you have to follow it closely if you want to be shredded and lose weight really fast. Some of you just need to work out properly and stop counting walking, yoga or Zumba as a workout, try sprinting intervals up steep hills followed by knee jumps for thirty seconds and keep repeating that.

Regular fasting isn't a bad thing, though. While I'm not diabetic, it does run strongly in the family. Fasting is known for decreasing insulin resistance, and some early-stage insulin-resistant diabetics have experienced a decreased severity of diabetic symptoms with intermittent fasting. If I'm steadily gaining weight, then I'm eating more than I need. Cutting back is the ONLY weight maintenance solution I've found to be effective for me.

I'm not all that concerned with resistance training or building strength. For now I'm content with what low intensity cardio I'm getting and working UP to 5 chin-ups a day. I did ok last week?I did 5 Tues., Wed., and Thurs., but just couldn't get a complete 5th on Friday. Maybe I'll have better luck this week.

It's not that I don't WANT better cardio. There's just no margin in my day for it. I keep my 2 yo every day, so 2.5 miles on 90 degree morning walks so slow I don't even break a sweat simply beats nothing at all right now. At one point last year I'd worked up to walk/run intervals averaging 4mph, which for ME is really pushing it, and my combined distance was 7.5 miles/day for 5 days a week. I'd like to eventually do a 10k, but having no way to train that's just going to have to be put on hold for a few more years.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 10:33 pm

Yuzu wrote:
^What do you eat mostly everyday? Do you eat any vegetables and fruits? You probably need to build better intestinal flora.

Money is tight, so veggies/fruits/red meat are all out of the question.

I bake my own bread to cut costs. Oh, and I do that all by hand, btw?no electric mixers or bread machines for me! A typical loaf keeps my family of 5 in sandwiches for lunch for an entire week, and that's just 3 cups of bread flour and 1 cup rolled oats with a few teaspoons of honey. So I might have a slice of bread with a fried egg for breakfast, a cup of milk (followed up with coffee), ham sandwich for lunch, and a better-balanced dinner. I'm no stranger to enriched white rice which I prefer steamed, not boiled, and black beans (or whatever is on hand). We supplement with tomatoes, okra, and peas from our garden, and I've got pumpkins and hopefully turnip greens on the way. The wifey wants me to plant some butternut squash.

As far as fruits go, I eat apples and bananas when I can get them, and we've started picking pears from our own trees (we only have two). We stockpiled our blackberries and froze them, roughly about a gallon of those, I think. There's this strange vine growing at the edge of our property that's putting out some sort of berry. I've tasted them--VERY sweet, like pure sugar, black skins, and seeds that resemble grape seed. I have no idea what they are, so I'm a little apprehensive about actively harvesting them. Up until this week I was ready to hit them with glyphosate?now I'm not so sure.

It's usually Wednesdays that I tend to really pig out, and depending on what's available it could be anything from a catfish plate to pork tenderloin to beef brisket, to spaghetti. If I'm hanging out with the kids after band rehearsal, I might have some nachos or something. It's a difficult day for keeping my appetite in check.

Agreed 100% on intestinal flora. I used to make yogurt at home, which I did relentlessly after my 40-day fast. If anyone were to attempt a fast like that, I highly recommend doing a colon cleanse first?sodium imbalance kills your lower GI and it could take another week or so for your intestines to relearn what to do with food. I used to think the phrase "$#!+ a brick" was funny until it happened to me! Anyway, what happened was milk prices went up and I was doing one or two cultures a week, making a yogurt cheese with, like, 3/4 gallon of whey squeezed out of it. It was driving us to the poor house, so I had to give it up for the sake of keeping our kids fed. I miss it like crazy, though. Next time I may wring out, like, only a quart of whey and add pectin (Yoplait-style). Back in the day I'd take an inulin fiber supplement along with Benefiber (inulin feeds flora), and that seemed to keep the pipes clean for a while.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 1:37 am

Kurgan wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Your estimated BMR is: 2,306 calories/day*
seems like alot. I'm gone back to trying to only eat 1200-1600

Eating that little will slow down your testosterone levels.

what will that do?

eating more then 1600 calories seems to just make me gain wieght. though I don't acuatlly know my cal intact. meh, maybe its time to go back to 4 400 cal a day and counting them in a journal. though last time I was also doing 10 mile walks, pushups and crunches daily. it burnt me out after my motivation was a no go. then over 2 years I slowly gained the wieght back.

I seem to be having trouble increasing my situp/crunches/squats numbers. I do them every other day, though some days i skipe if I have too much pain/or feeling sick.

AlexanderDantes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2014, 3:10 am

Yuzu wrote:
^Any woman? What about men? Don't be sexist, dude.

Men as well but women are seen as things of beauty more so they should respect themselves even more but it seems like a lot more men are respecting themselves more...

AlexanderDantes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2014, 3:13 am

AngelRho wrote:
AlexanderDantes wrote:
Angel, Starving yourself and low intensity cardio isn't the way to go, you might lose weight but you will lose lots of strength and it's simply dangerous for your bodily functions.

I went from a 34 inch waist to a 29 inch one whilst increasing my chest size to almost 50 inches at the same time. I went from having arms with little vascularity to vein popping chiselled ones, your jaw will go from bloated to chiselled and you will start to see positive strength gains as you lose weight.

One thing I noticed in the gym is that the people with the best bodies train more intensely over the larger people. When I do 200 pull ups followed by 500 push ups with different variations, I definitely break a sweat because I set myself a time limit but even after that, I do an hour of weightlifting focusing on progressive tension overload.

Another good program I record which teaches you to use your body weight is Tapout XT but you have to follow it closely if you want to be shredded and lose weight really fast. Some of you just need to work out properly and stop counting walking, yoga or Zumba as a workout, try sprinting intervals up steep hills followed by knee jumps for thirty seconds and keep repeating that.

Regular fasting isn't a bad thing, though. While I'm not diabetic, it does run strongly in the family. Fasting is known for decreasing insulin resistance, and some early-stage insulin-resistant diabetics have experienced a decreased severity of diabetic symptoms with intermittent fasting. If I'm steadily gaining weight, then I'm eating more than I need. Cutting back is the ONLY weight maintenance solution I've found to be effective for me.

I'm not all that concerned with resistance training or building strength. For now I'm content with what low intensity cardio I'm getting and working UP to 5 chin-ups a day. I did ok last week?I did 5 Tues., Wed., and Thurs., but just couldn't get a complete 5th on Friday. Maybe I'll have better luck this week.

It's not that I don't WANT better cardio. There's just no margin in my day for it. I keep my 2 yo every day, so 2.5 miles on 90 degree morning walks so slow I don't even break a sweat simply beats nothing at all right now. At one point last year I'd worked up to walk/run intervals averaging 4mph, which for ME is really pushing it, and my combined distance was 7.5 miles/day for 5 days a week. I'd like to eventually do a 10k, but having no way to train that's just going to have to be put on hold for a few more years.

You shouldn't be static, if you are doing 5 a day, you should be setting goals to reach 10 and to reach 20 after that, keep going higher and higher until you get in the hundreds..If you don't push yourself to new limits, the body will become static.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 12:34 pm

AlexanderDantes wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

Men as well but women are seen as things of beauty more so they should respect themselves even more but it seems like a lot more men are respecting themselves more...

Women are seen as things of beauty by men. Personally, I see the male form as a thing of beauty much more than I see the female form that way. And yet, somehow, I manage to value what's inside the package much, much, MUCH more than I value the wrapping.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

Yuzu wrote:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Estimated BMR is: 1,464 calories/day*

Ok, now what? :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
AlexanderDantes wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

Women are seen as things of beauty by men. Personally, I see the male form as a thing of beauty much more than I see the female form that way. And yet, somehow, I manage to value what's inside the package much, much, MUCH more than I value the wrapping.

Both of you are sexists (Not Yuzu).

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 2:42 pm

Wait, I'm confused here - am I sexist for being more physically attracted to men than I am to women, or am I sexist for valuing the person inside the body more than I value the exterior appearance? Or am I sexist for thinking that AD's requirement that women take greater care with their appearance is sexist? Methinks you're trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

AlexanderDantes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
Wait, I'm confused here - am I sexist for being more physically attracted to men than I am to women, or am I sexist for valuing the person inside the body more than I value the exterior appearance? Or am I sexist for thinking that AD's requirement that women take greater care with their appearance is sexist? Methinks you're trying to have your cake and eat it, too.

Don't worry, anything is sexist in the politically correct police and it's not a pointing game..

Maybe what I was saying actually could be misinterpretated but what I meant is that females to be representative of beauty but that can comes in many forms like elegance and feminity, that's not to say that every female should meet my standards. I'm sure there are men who find certain types of women attractive but I know that I need someone active because it is more compatible with my level of activity and strict diet.

I don't see how that could possibly be sexist, it is simply having a preference, some women say they prefer black men and no one says anything yet if a man says something similar, he is harshly labelled with a negative term.

I don't try to change women to meet my preference, I'm involved with someone who can cook very healthy food and follows a strict gluten and dairy free diet so I'm not forcing that preference or standard on women, I go for ones that meet my standards unlike Kurgan.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

AlexanderDantes wrote:
You shouldn't be static, if you are doing 5 a day, you should be setting goals to reach 10 and to reach 20 after that, keep going higher and higher until you get in the hundreds..If you don't push yourself to new limits, the body will become static.

I agree and recognize just how important that is. The shooting-needles pain in my elbow concerns me a little at the moment, though. Also, I physically CANNOT push myself to do 2 reps without rest?and it takes us 15-20 min. to get around a .5-mile track, so I'm "resting" that long between chin-ups!! ! I've honestly tried to do more than 1 chin-up?it just ain't happening right now.

IIRC, I'm not actually doing a full single chin-up, either? The bar I'm pulling up on is, I think, about 8-feet high and I can barely get my fingertips on it standing on tip-toe. So the jump to grip it gives me a slight assist and I'm pulling fast to reach the bar. If I understand it right, a full rep starts AT the bar and completes when you return to it. I don't have the strength to do that yet (again, I've already tried), so I count my half chin-up as good.

It IS starting to get easier and hurt less, though. I'm just not ready for more quite yet. I'm thinking about getting a 50 lb. weight and working biceps only for a while. Then I could probably work up to more of a rowing motion, starting with the weight at my waist, so I can work more muscle groups. All I'm going for right now is getting comfortable with what I AM doing so I can set some realistic/reasonable goals.

Doing 50 chin-ups a day won't do me a bit of good if I rip all the ligaments and cartilage out of my bones trying to get there.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

Eureka13 wrote:

Yummy, cake.

No, I meant you're being sexist for implying that all men see women as things of beauty.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 4:10 pm

IMHO, weighted pull-ups are better than high rep pull-ups.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 9:09 pm

Eureka13 wrote:

what kind of cake, and where is this cake everyone speaks of o.O

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 10:52 pm

AlexanderDantes wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

The part I've bolded completely discounts the views of those who are attracted to men: there's quite a lot of us, and we see men as potential things of beauty too. (see: fireman calendars if you want evidence of that. Women don't buy them to help the charity, trust me. :P )

There's more to respecting yourself than just respecting your body: you might respect yourself by sticking to your principles, by not treating people badly, by only advancing in your career via honest means, by valuing morality over monetary gain... dozens of ways. It's not fair to look at someone's personal appearance and assume that because they're overweight, they show a complete lack of respect for themselves. Also, if more onus is put on women than men to be attractive, and if how attractive we are is seen as the primary determiner of our character, that just perpetuates the view that the purpose of women is to be ornamental, which is a view that seriously needs to go and die.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

AlexanderDantes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2014, 1:33 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
AlexanderDantes wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

The part I've bolded completely discounts the views of those who are attracted to men: there's quite a lot of us, and we see men as potential things of beauty too. (see: fireman calendars if you want evidence of that. Women don't buy them to help the charity, trust me. :P )

There's more to respecting yourself than just respecting your body: you might respect yourself by sticking to your principles, by not treating people badly, by only advancing in your career via honest means, by valuing morality over monetary gain... dozens of ways. It's not fair to look at someone's personal appearance and assume that because they're overweight, they show a complete lack of respect for themselves. Also, if more onus is put on women than men to be attractive, and if how attractive we are is seen as the primary determiner of our character, that just perpetuates the view that the purpose of women is to be ornamental, which is a view that seriously needs to go and die.

I wasn't implying that there aren't other valuable traits in a person that define them as good characters, people are able to give to the world in many ways through creation and innovation, people have a range of talents and passions. However it is not sexist to say that I only date women with a slim body, some women won't date certain types of men due to a factor.

Are we to say that everyone who doesn't date someone for a certain reason, money, age, weight is actually sexist? Women are pressured and seen as things of beauty, that's the way the world works, it isn't my personal view but that does not take away from the intellect or depth they posess and what we can explore in each other. I hold a traditional view and believe both sexes should make an effort to look healthy and groomed as attraction has to be mutual.